View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Arcadia
I'd actually left Wiz 8, and instead replayed Atari's Greyhawk TOEE. Later, I found out abt the patch I cud download (thx)

Do that, it cetainly don't demand so much strategic challenges as W8

and I agree with both ur comments abt Arnika Rd. Actually, I wud go further - that not only is Arnika Rd unbalanced, it's so right from the Monastery to where I find myself now - Marten's Bluff. The battles are not necessarily tough, although a few of them are - strangely, I find some of the boss fights surprisingly easy, while those with lesser creatures can be more challenging.

Instead of complaining about a unbalanced game, then try to see it as a challenge instead, where everything doesn't have to be like a walk in the park. Arnika road can be tough the first time you enter it for newbies, as your party is still low level and have to be more carefull about which fights to pick. But with just a little skill in party movement (running) and Compass observations, you can avoid almost all fights on the road, i've travelled through Arnika Road or the Swamp many times without a single fight, just by manoeuvering around the monster groups.

No, what bugs me is the gameplay - personally, I find it skewed. First, there's the spawn rate - u often can't walk 100 yds (maybe less) w/o running into something. And, on many occasions, u find as soon as u finish a battle, another grp of monsters set upon u, giving u no opportunity to find camp, or for that matter, to explore. Does anyone honestly want to crush bats, wasps, and golems every other minute? I find I just quit and reload the game when it gets too grindingly repetitive.

Spawning rate is fairly high on certain places, and it's normally not an good idea, just to walk out in the middle of an area, unless you want to fight your party up a couple of levels, instead you should sneak around the borders of the area. Personally I find it much much more interesting that you sometimes have to make the more cautious approach in an new area, instead of just wandering concernless into the middle, and be able to fight everything easily off. I recommend playing diablo2, TOEE, PST if you don't want to be bothered with to challenging fights.

Then, there's this other thing - playing catch up. Sometimes, the last surviving baddie in combat will flee, or when u inflict say, blind status on them, they most certainly will. It then takes an eternity to catch and kill them off. Monsters here can basically run forever, and hv inexhaustible stamina (ur party doesn't). One can of course abandon pursuit, but then, the beastie is just probably going to be lurking around the corner, sneaking up on u shud u camp. Personally, I like to finish them all off in one go.

Yes, strange behavior that a baddie would flee from a battle, where he/it/she is wounded and outnumbered. Annoying, yes!?

Another thing is. though, I find this more amusing than annoying - anyone noticed that the bad guy's spells can somehow reach around corners, damaging ur party, while ur spellcasters can't do the same to them?. In fact (I really hv a good laugh over this), on occasions, my spellcaster's spell wud backfire spectacularly (magic missiles, I think) and fried herself and half her party?! LOL The other status effects spell can be just as suspect too. And yes, I've invested a good no of skill points in those spell classes.

Some spells are "area" spells, and don't need direct targets, but will work in a certain radius around spell target, like fireballs etc. Unless you choose a green coloured power degree for you spell, there are always a change that a spell will backfire.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here. This isn't a bad game, certainly not the worst. Perhaps it wud grow on me the longer I play, and I hope it does, but right now, I wudn't call it great.

It ofcourse depend on which play-style you like. I admit W8 is not for the easy gamer, and for the gamers who doesn't care much about character development strategies, item manipulation and combat strategies W8 rapidly will be very difficult and therefore tedious. Personally I think W8 has a gameplay that hasn't been matched for the last 5 years.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:08 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The strength of Wizardry 8 is character development system. In my opinion it's the whole point of playing the game. Other than that, the plot is very weak compare to many RPG I played. The graphics is dated. The music is repetitive. The realism is nonexistent. The game play is buggy and slow. Some people find the game challenging, but not me. I think the game is very easy once you reach Arnika even on expert ironman mode, especially if you have at least two fighters.

Wizardry WAS entertaining. It's not the greatest but not useless.

I just wish one game developer can create a RPG with great stories full of twist and turns and surprises and build up for a big climax in the end, borrow the idea of character development system from wizardry 8, realism from gothic, graphics with latest and greatest technology, hire the cyber musician from neverwinter and make a all time great, big RPG.

Well, since microsoft is forcing everyone to make console games, I doubt that will ever happen any time soon.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:00 pm
genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Joeman
Well, since microsoft is forcing everyone to make console games, I doubt that will ever happen any time soon.

This does, of course, require the assumption that there is no such thing as a great console RPG.
Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:18 pm
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have to agree with gengi here...there are some good console games out there...I recently finished Fable which was okay and have been playng Morrowind Elder scrolls 3, which I am becoming addicted to...its not wizardry but a pretty good game for a console, it would be better if morrowwind would let you go as a party rather than just one "outlander".
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:20 am
genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I wasn't really thinking of X-Box games in my comment, but thanks for the support! It's good to know there are other people here who don't reflexively shudder at the thought of playing an RPG on a console.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:52 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

RPG's on console's are just as good as PC RPG's, there just a very different style thats all.

Wiz 8 it a very fun and very hard game, but its relaxing. I like it a lot.

If you want to talk about the worse game ever, go check out "Plumbers dont wear ties"
Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:02 pm
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

hmmm

Wow....

first of all i would like to say that the Wiz series is one of my favorite games of all time......if you havent play wiz5 heart of the mealstrom, wiz the knight of diamonds, or wiz1 prooving the grounds of the mad overlord, i would have ta say yer pre silly to doubt the powers of wizardry!!!

i remmeber tales from the mad stomper and the quick actions of the rouges in the den of theives.....theyre conversations that they held with my three bes samuri's where some of the best i can remember....

good times, good times

but seriously.....i would really consider it a personal favor if people didnt express negatively towards wizardry....

- holla back........-porter

p.s. "La La be honered!" (Wiz 5)

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Fri May 13, 2005 3:30 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5