Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Need help tweaking my Gothic config file.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Need help tweaking my Gothic config file.

zDetailTexturesEnabled=1
zSubdivSurfacesEnabled=0
zLevelLODStrength=13000
zVobFarClipZScale=1

These are the settings that I need to know about. I want maximum visual quality. I don't care about the performance hit. I already know that changing "zDetailTexturesEnabled" has no effect. What about the other ones? I heard that changing "zLevelLODStrength" was susposed to affect the max detail on any given surface no matter the distance. I played around with that (incuding setting it to 0) but saw no visual change. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there a way to change the distance at which npc's and monsters pop into view? I would like to be able to see them from farther away. I know how to increase the viewable distance and I know about the "zhighqualityrender" command but those things don't seem to affect moving objects. Thanks in advance.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:27 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Don't care about the first two.

some tweaking options...

[ENGINE]
; control LODing 0=disable, default=13000
zLevelLODStrength=0
; scaling factor for far clipping plane for VOBs ( visibility range of VOBs, zHighQualityRenderer sets it to 30 (a lot) 50 is crazy =)
zVobFarClipZScale=30
[INTERNAL]
; enable extra optiom in menu ( guess which =)
extendedMenu=1
[RENDERER_D3D]
; you may diable the hardware fog to better view distance (but you could use 'zFogZone 0' in console to kick the fog zone if you like ( for screenshots ) )
zFogDisabled=1

- nico
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:17 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I tried setting "zLevelLODStrength" to 0 but I saw no difference between that and 13000.

What is "VOBs"?

I'm thinking that maybe those commands don't work the same way in the English version.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:10 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Visual OBject

Believe me, there is a difference.
And there is no difference in the english version.

- nico
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:40 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

So if I set the "zVobFarClipZScale" to 50 in the Gothic config file then I won't need to use the "zhighqualityrender" command from the console right?
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:50 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

No. It looks like the VOBfarclipscale and zhighqualityrender are not the same like you think. Even after setting the VOBfarclipscale to 50, enabling zhighqualityrender made other things pop into view.

I almost have Gothic tweaked the way I want it now. If only I could figure out how to make it render npc's and monsters from a further distance I would be truly happy.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:04 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

There is no 'switch' in the Gothic.INI to get 'zhighqualityrender' on startup.
(it sets several options, some of them cannot be altered in the INI)

Papa Noki
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:13 pm
Dieter Hildebrandt(PB)
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

VOB = "Virtual Object"
I should know this because this acronym is my creation . Actually, in the very very beginning, in our first Engine (the legendary "Finster" Demo) VOB stood for "vector object". Back in the days where most objects and characters where plain bitmaps (Doom-like) and just a few where made of vertices(~vectors) and triangles. The acronym "VOB" migrated into the Gothic-Engine without a proper meaning. Then, in the end, when more and more people asked, what "VOB" meant, I had to come up with a different term, namely "Virtual Object".
Sorry,... but i could not resist.

Now that I see how much interest is there in tweaking the .ini files I really wish I had put more things to modify in there. Carsten and Nico really should add some stuff for Gothic2.
"zSubdivSurfacesEnabled=1" should have an effect. Hint: compare scenes in wireframe mode with a character close up.

BTW: I just thought of releasing the old DOS "Finster" Demo (a prequel to Gothic-Engine/Gothic). I will check if this is possible if there is enough interest...
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:46 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Dieter Hildebrandt(PB)

Now that I see how much interest is there in tweaking the .ini files I really wish I had put more things to modify in there. Carsten and Nico really should add some stuff for Gothic2.
"zSubdivSurfacesEnabled=1" should have an effect. Hint: compare scenes in wireframe mode with a character close up.

BTW: I just thought of releasing the old DOS "Finster" Demo (a prequel to Gothic-Engine/Gothic). I will check if this is possible if there is enough interest...

I guess many people would be interested to see the "Finster" demo.

The enormous interest in tweaking is not surprising if you take into account that many people have the machine to play Morrowind and then are told they should give Gothic a try.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:26 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

quote:
VOB = "Virtual Object"
I should know this because this acronym is my creation :). Actually, in the very very beginning, in our first Engine (the legendary "Finster" Demo) VOB stood for "vector object". Back in the days where most objects and characters where plain bitmaps (Doom-like) and just a few where made of vertices(~vectors) and triangles. The acronym "VOB" migrated into the Gothic-Engine without a proper meaning. Then, in the end, when more and more people asked, what "VOB" meant, I had to come up with a different term, namely "Virtual Object".
Sorry,... but i could not resist. :)

Shame on me =)

quote:

As you wish. /me *add it to the list* ;)

quote:

Please!

- nico
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:16 pm