scaling woes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - Spoilers

Author Thread
argent1970
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

scaling woes

is there any way to control the level of scaling concerning the monsters you face? it seems that i'm at a point that no matter where i go i'm getting my butt handed to me and i have to reload an earlier game. i guess scaling was intended to curb the power-gaming aspect of e.s. but jeez! i'm gettin' murdered out there!
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:01 am
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What is your character? It will be interesting to know when this auto-power-up of monsters will become a hindrance to actually playing and enjoying the game.

HoLo
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:20 am
argent1970
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i'm an 18 lvl redguard, custom class with emphasis on strength and agility. this combination has been doing pretty well for me up till now. when i hit 18th lvl it seems the game decided i needed to be taken down a notch-or three. i haven't stuck with the main quest, i've been doing things on the side as well. i've got a fair amount of magic items, none too powerful, so i don't see why i have to fight 3 daedroths at once!
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:44 pm
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have a level 22 Agent with emphasis on ranged attacks, stealth and speed/agility. I find that the most deadly foes I face are the faster ones with charge-based attacks.

Oddly enough, Mountain Lions tear her down rather quickly...why normal mammals are as/more difficult than many Daedra is beyond me.

I've also found that some foes seem to have too many possible attacks at times such as the Spider Daedra. There is a foe who can heal itself, cast a powerful Lightning Bolt, is very fast/dodges a lot, has melee attacks when it runs out of Magicka, AND summons a mini replica of itself that will charge up to you, Paralyze you with a touch based spell and then maul you with melee attacks while its master blasts you with Lightning bolts!!

Having to fight two Spider Daedra plus their pets at one time is nearly impossible in confining spaces such as the Oblivion towers...which is where you most often find two of them that are within agro/frenzy range of eachother.

It's certainly possible to prevail but you have to use terrain to your advantage as well as kite/snipe a lot.

So far I've closed only 5 Oblivion Gates but have found that Transcendent Sigil Stones have some very nice powers to enchant items with.

Sometimes Daedra Kynval and Kynreeve have magic items like enchanted swords or necklaces but for the most part, the only reason to close Oblivion Gates atm seems to be the acquisition of the Sigil Stones.

But I digress.

Laters,

HoLo
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:57 pm
argent1970
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

well i was having such a rough go of it i had to resort to adjusting the difficulty slider in the options menu. i slid it to the left just a hair and now i'm not getting splattered constantly. the monsters are still no pushovers, but they don't view me as a speedbump either. oh by the way, there is an ayleid ruin near the capitol city and within this ruin is the posessor of the sword umbra! it's a very nasty weapon, high damage value and it can cast soultrap on strike. be advised, when i killed her, it opened the dark brotherhood quest. i'll try to get the name of the ruin if your interested, but it was south of the city.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:28 am
argent1970
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

oh yeah, by the way, where are you getting items enchanted at? i can't find anyone to do that.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:30 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I don't believe you can enchant items yourself unless you can get access to the arcane university. This is not really a problem though because when you reach around level 30 magical items will become quite plentiful.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:58 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

my mage can take down anything, and his a pretty decent fighter too, at lvl 23 only 3 enemies at once might give me some pause, since I'm playing with a breton and I enchanted an item with magic ressitence , I'm near 90% ressitenet to magic, and the spider dadera get's mauled every time
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:07 am
Blienmeis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: scaling woes

quote:
Originally posted by argent1970
is there any way to control the level of scaling concerning the monsters you face? ...

You cannot control the monster level, but you can (and I learned the hard way that you should) control your character level. Better said, to try and make a balanced character.
If you level up to quickly you likely will:
(a) not maximize your attributes (i.e. get 3x+5 attribute points each level)
(b) have only one or two skills high enough to face the monsters of your level.

It is IMO important to have good supporting skills no matter what character you play.

[NOTE: Role-playing purists may not like the rest of this post, feel free to skip]

In order to control my level this is what I did:
- keep as major skills only my main attack and one armor skill (Destruction and Heavy Armor in my case).
- the rest of the major skills should be skills that you will NOT need/use often OR plan to maximize later in the game after the main two skills are maxed.
- all the auxiliary skills that you use often (for instance Alteration, Mysticsm, Alchemy, Restoration, etc.) should be minor. This will allow you to increase them as much as you need, without affecting your level. Also, you gain the benefit of getting more attribute points for leveling up. If planned correctly you can get 3x+5 attribute points at every level up.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:18 pm
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by argent1970
oh yeah, by the way, where are you getting items enchanted at? i can't find anyone to do that.

There doesn't seem to be an Enchanting skill like in Morrowind.

There is an area of the Arcane University where you can bring items to enchant, and filled soul gems and then make the items. The thing you use to open the item enchantment window in this area looks like a music stand.

Sigil Stones are by far the easiest way to enchant items. If you left click on the Sigil Stone while it's in your inventory it will bring up the enchantment window...from here you can choose a mundane item from your inventory to enchant, rename it and apply the Sigil Stones power to it.

I have several pieces of equipment that were enchanted this way and once they become obsolete to your kit you can sell them for quite a bit more than the original, mundane item was worth.

I've yet to get into trapping souls and building a custom set of gear although I've been saving up mundane armor for this purpose...I'm not sure what combination of Soul Trap spell and Soul Gem I should use on which creature level though.

HoLo
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:30 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

You do not need x5 modifiers to be powerful, Attributes actually make very little difference to your overall character power, skills are far more important. By level 35-40 you are going to most likely max the attributes most important to your character build anyway, even if your only getting 3x modifiers.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:54 am