Usergroups
Neocron
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I haven't had the pleasure to beta test Neocron but I downloaded and played the demo, and I liked it ALOT. I suggest you do the same. The one complaint I have with the demo is it doesn't even touch the nano-tech or whatever they call it, you can buy implants but there was no explanation as to how they work.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:25 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I've just tried it. Looks quite nice, very DeusEx-alike. Anyone tried the full version ? How is it in "real" ? I'm thinking about trying it soon...
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:52 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by soltys
I've just tried it. Looks quite nice, very DeusEx-alike. Anyone tried the full version ? How is it in "real" ? I'm thinking about trying it soon...

I played the Beta for a while (before they had vehicles implemented) and I found it to be a bit repetative to be honest. Basically it's like every other MMORPG but in a futuristic setting. The XP treadmill is still there but it is about raising skills this time round. However accepting that is isn't a new rpg experiece I did find the world to be quite rich and very atmospheric. The control system is well implented and travelling outside the "safety" of the main city is actually quite scary. If people want to play a futuristic distopian MMORPG then I would recommend this but if you are after an genuinly original game system then this may not be the one to go for.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:18 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I played beta for about a month. Conclusions: game is ok (will be good when they polish it up), people suck. Too many l33t kiddies that keep screaming "IF U DON"T WANT 2B KILL LEAVE YOU"RE LE IN!!!"

Whatever...
Post Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:44 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
I played beta for about a month. Conclusions: game is ok (will be good when they polish it up), people suck. Too many l33t kiddies that keep screaming "IF U DON"T WANT 2B KILL LEAVE YOU"RE LE IN!!!"

Whatever...

My experience too, Moondragon. I don't know if you ever visited the offical Neocron boards but the LE debate has been going on since forever. I remember posting there asking what was wrong with the LE (Law Enforcer) chip - if people didn't want to take part in PvP then surely it is there right (as they are paying) - well I got severly flamed for that - apparently it was people like me who were ruining this game as if I didn't want PvP I should "go away" (toned down for the more sensative folks on these boards). Unfortunatley it made me realise that many (not all) of the people who were interested in this game simply wanted to PK or , even worse, Noob kill.

But still - I decided to try it - it went OK for a while then I took out my LE chip and within 5 mins somebody who was significantly more powerfull than me, shot me. So I thought fair enough thems the risks but then I discivered this person routinely hung out it the upper levels of the sewers (where new players gain levels) and just systematically killed any weak players he found. There was a lot of nice people there too but the l33t dewd kiddiez will ruin that game as all the decent folk will eventually be forced out.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:27 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Uhh this is weird.

I swear I didn't start this thread, my post was a reply to someone talking about the offline demo.

But yea I played the open beta until I realized the people who would run around the newbie sewers opening the chests were mostly higher ranking players just trying to earn money.

I honestly don't know why I bother with MMORPGs anymore.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:12 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Provis, give ATITD a shot. It's more of an intellectual MMORPG.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:32 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've been meaning to do that for some time, I just never get around to it.

Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:19 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

what is ATITD?
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:14 am
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

A Tale in the Desert.
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:07 am
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

ahh yes i played it for a couple of months, i was a major crafter for Crackheads , you know the bad guys haha, that was so much fun

yeh i was a huge psi and mad crafter, there were a ton of ppl who hated us
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:46 pm