MMORPGs vs Single player rpgs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

MMORPGs vs Single player rpgs

For a while, with the release of endless Everquest expansions, Anarchy, Dark Days of Camelot, and all these MMORPGs, I thought that the single player rpgs would be extinct. I thought that the trend will be more towards the MMORPG genre. I don't know about you guys, but I'm just not willing to pay those monthly 10-20 dollar fee. No matter how good the game is.

Single player games usually take me a long time to finish, because i explore every little place, so by the time I'm finished with the game, I've squeezed all the fun possible and i've only spent about 40 bucks. I just don't get paying monthly fees for new items or quests. Maybe I'm just cheap.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:38 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well...

It's not just new items etc. you pay for.
Many think it's fun to interact with other people while they're playing an rpg.
That's the main thing about mmorpgs.

Plus mmorpgs are more open since they don't have an ending (except for Anarchy Online), plus they're often very large (EQ).

One reason as to why the genre hasn't shifted to mmorpgs, is that mmorpgs are relatively new, and that some people want more "epic" and story-driven rpgs.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:41 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

The biggest fault in modern MMORPGs is the lack of stories and something meaningful to do. I know that the worlds are getting more complex and that some real roleplaying is going on in many games, but they still lack the depth of a good single-player RPG.

I used to play in different MUDs, in some servers I had quite succesful characters. With all the improvements and neat things MMORPGs have brought to the genre, I still can't shake the feeling that most of these games are just sugar-coverted hack'n'slash MUDs that charge a lot of money for playing.

I want something more from a MMORPG than just exp-hunting. I know there are a lot of PvP-oriented games as well as games with some degree of working player economy, but they are still coming a bit short for my taste.

I'm quite sure that in a few years something will come and catch my interest. I'm ready to pay some money to be able to play a good game with good people. For the time being, I'll just stick to NWN and some nice, user-driven persistent worlds.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:48 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by mDrop
I used to play in different MUDs, in some servers I had quite succesful characters. With all the improvements and neat things MMORPGs have brought to the genre, I still can't shake the feeling that most of these games are just sugar-coverted hack'n'slash MUDs that charge a lot of money for playing.

Muds player usually more "hardcore" on role-playing aspects. Here is something i quote from another Muds player:

quote:
"I've started seeing some disturbing trends over the past year. MUD game playing is decreasing, and graphical online games, such as Everquest, Asheron's Call, and new entries like Dark Age of Camelot are attracting more and more players. I've played them all (got to keep up with the competition, right?). And what I've found is that none of the graphical games (with the possible exception of Asheron's Call) have the depth that I'm looking for. As a pen/paper roleplaying gamer and MUD player, I like games with depth to them. I want a flexible character and skill system, challenging and interesting dungeons (a generic term, not necessarily indoors), and a combat system that gives me strategic and tactical options. But more and more games are simply hack-and-slash affairs."

(Zugg's comments at http://www.zuggsoft.com/zuggsoft/zuggsoft.htm)

As answer to first poster:

I think it's unlikely single player CRPGs would be completely replaces by MMORPGs. There's still many gamer out there that prefer single player setting on PC or other gaming platform. In other words, not all player wants or need other player involvement when start up they favorite games. For example, there's lots of PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube gamer out there. Their have no huge multiplayer nor online playing option available but many games that use this platform still sold very well. Even CRPG title such as Morrowind have impressive number of copies sold through the Xbox platform (possible sold more copies than on PC version).

Since the MMOGs/MMORPGs scene is really exploding now, and in near future there's so much new titles available, i think most of them, or some of them - would deem to be unsuccessful, or only successful on a level keeping the developers survive, but not enough to have much additional money to maintain the games they produced (add-on, expansion, user support) or supervises player community (maps hacking, gameplay cheating, PK'ing). What happen now is a period of "gold rush" by games developer, and it's temporary phenomena. That don't mean MMORPGs won't successful at all to establish it players base, but after consolidation (weaker developers run out of business or get dumped by angry gamer), what remain only several game companies or MMORPGs title stay at MMORPGs market. And as for single player CRPGs, i think it would also still standing beside MMORPGs genre.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:59 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

The secret to MMOGs is addictiveness, something that a single player RPG can only achieve to an inferior degree. It often seems like the makers of MMOGs have become masters at creating a system that makes you want to play more and more, giving you short term goals one right after the other. What drives a single player RPG is usually the story, and the quality of the story will often dictate if it's addictive enough to go on. But once it's over, it's over. MMOGs live on by creating new artificial goals for players. That's why some MMOGs fail at the hiest levels of player experience. Some of themfind out there just isn't anything left to do, or nothing interesting to do.

So, my point is that both these types of games will endure, but for very different reasons
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:16 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
...What drives a single player RPG is usually the story, and the quality of the story will often dictate if it's addictive enough to go on. But once it's over, it's over...

Don't forget the recent trend where single CRPGs always came together with game editor for creating additional mods/plug-ins, Examples:

1) NWN = Aururo toolset, although more use for creating multiplayer contents for dungeon masters, it certain also prolong the life of single player campaign. And remember Diablo 2?, there's still fans out there creating new contents for single player campaign.

2)MW = TES3 construction set, specially for creating single player contents and thus add longevity to it gameplay. And personally, even only after 3 months the game been release, there's very good quality mods and various interesting plug-ins available, not to mention future several big projects by group of gamer.

Unless there's no new inovations by developer, single CRPGs would able to keep attention of many gamer.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:45 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by goofy goldfish
Unless there's no new inovations by developer, single CRPGs would able to keep attention of many gamer.

Yes, you'Re absolutely right But the toolset are not there to create an addiction, like is the case for MMOGs. I think the emmergence of MMOGs has forced single player game developpers to come up with new ways to keep their player base longer than it was the case before then. And that is a good thing! And that's also why I concluded by saying that both types of games will continue to strive and endure, but not for the same reasons.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:18 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think it's fair to compare CPRGs and MMORPGs. They are two completely different genres. Like comparing apples and pears. They look similar, but don't really have much in common beyond that.

CRPGs should be about a story. MMORPGs should be about social interaction. NWN attempted to bridge the two, but we'll see how that pens out.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:29 pm
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

From my experience with online gaming, MMORPGs are just not worth the money, when you are looking for social interaction. I mean, diablo II alone had a lot of hackers and backstabbers. Athough, I never did join a guild or some sort of gaming group. Perhaps my experience would have been different. I just like playing single player games, because i do whatever i want whenever i want, with nobody forming little cliques and ganging up on you. Plus i could never committ on playing on a certain day/time period.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:43 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Well, there's surely many gamer out there as you're prefering single CRPGs experiences with various valid reasons and that's why MMORPGs won't completely replacing single CRPGs.

It's quite a commitment, you have to find a suitable friends who have same gaming style as you, arrange a timetable with your co-players, and spend 30 minutes to 30 hours playing. Even probably during playing period one or two co-players got something coming up and have to stop playing, or your girlfriend/boyfriend/wife start whining because you ignore them .
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:59 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

i haven't played a MMORPG yet, but i have played nearly all western single player crpgs in the last 18 years. And i really hope that game developers will continue to produce single player rpgs - it's my favorite type of game.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:15 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
I don't think it's fair to compare CPRGs and MMORPGs. They are two completely different genres. Like comparing apples and pears. They look similar, but don't really have much in common beyond that...

It's o.k to make a comparison as long as we set a certain conditions for the comparison. Beside that in these case, i think basically ryley only wants to hear opinions of others gamer about MMORPGs and CRPGs; it's not methodical comparison for scientific purposes.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:27 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Being new to the RPG genre, I've only played offline RPG's, which can be very addictive. But I would love to play MMOG's, because I know the effect it has on people. I would not mind a monthly fee, if it is not out of the ordinary. So I really can't vote one against the other until I experience what both have to offer.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:49 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Massive multiplayer games could be incredibly addicting. Some time ago I've been playing EoC online (simply turn based web browser game) placed in Independence War universe. Game was developed by creators of TVS (www.tvsonline.co.uk). At some point we (gamers, of course not all but some of them, including me) were ready to start paying monthly fee for support for it (mainly fixing bugs, removing multi accounts, etc.). If I had better internet connection and preferably more time, I would be still playing this game. Or I would switch to TVS. Oh, btw - TVS is also free and has constant support.

In EoCol, one turn lasts 3 hours. Communication is done by some sort of forum inside the game. Game is very simple. And despite this, it can take incredible amount of time and be much more entertaining than any sp game, rpg or not.

Now I wonder, how fantastic would be good written mmo(rp)g, in realtime, with good story/graphics/sound and, most important, with thousands of players all around the world. I hope EvE will be something like that.

And about fee. I use to spend 10$ daily from time to time (and for Poland it's not little). Why not pay this once per month for A LOT of fun ? I can live without one visit to pizzahut + beer
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:15 pm
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Exactly right goldfish. MMORPGs do take alot of time and dedication. Don't get me wrong, if i had more time and money, i would be willing to give it a shot. But the way i see it, 10 dollars a month? I would rather save that money, and buy a new game every 4 months.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:30 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next