Atari in Trouble? @ Game Cloud
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Atari in Trouble? @ Game Cloud

Game Cloud is reporting that Atari's financial woes are continuing: <blockquote><em>the game publisher could be in serious financial trouble following their Oct-Dec. 2005 financial results. Net income for the time period was $100.8 million, down from $156.4 million for the same period a year ago. Atari suffered a net loss of $4.8 million compared to a profit of $19.6 million for the same period a year ago. The statement read that product delays along with a soft overall video game market contributed to the loss. Also Atari revealed that it had defaulted on loans from the HSBC Business Credit and that the company was not planning on extending Atari furthur credit. Finally the press release revealed that Atari's chief financial officer Diane Baker effective shortly had resigned "to pursue a new opportunity". As a result, Atari admitted, "The uncertainties caused by these conditions raise substantial doubt about the Company's ability to continue as a going concern."</em></blockquote> Read the rest and find a link to the official press release at <a href="http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=3430" target="_blank">Game Cloud</a>.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:56 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Perhaps if Atari improved its business practices and treated its customers in a decent manner, it wouldn't be in this predicament!! As far as I'm concerned, it's only one rung on the ladder higher than Dreamcatcher right now!! This is what happens when Bean Counters run companies!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:00 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

CEO propably thought that the name change would save them.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:57 am
THX1138
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Perhaps a good industry wide cleansing is what is needed. Weed out the weak.
What concerns me is I suspect the "bean counters"(great description BTW) are of my generation(38 )
Actually this position seems worse than that: EA waiting to buy up every flailing property.
I fear for gaming: Tried IP/top gross/regurgitate
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:50 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I am kinda split down the middle with this, not a huge fan of Atari.
I have seen them taking many chances, trying to take on Inde and smaller Dev games like Boiling Point, certianly more than say, the Eville EA.

I still am not sure if it was Atari or Deep Shadows mostly responsible for the Beta release of Boiling Point, with the news of Boiling Point 2, I am optimistic.

I guess it is not always Pubs thou as in the recent news about Stalker and THQ finally having to send someone to babysit the Dev team to keep focus.

Plus they have potientally one of the Best PC games (sales and quality) of all time to release within the next 9- 10 months, NWN2.
Even thou they would only get to Pub instore Cds/DVDs it wont be just chump change.
NWN2 will be a 2 million seller easy with just Bioware's regestered users but the inculded Coop 4 - 8 people, plus on release editing tools with one of the worlds largest Modding communities, will make for a staggeringly popular game.

The potiential even exist to Undermine the phony RPG rippoffs like EQ and other MMOGs.
The fact seems to be, most MMOGs exist due to the lack of Coop RPGs, which MMOGs love to claim as their genre thou delivery is very hollow, at least to me.

There will be NO way Devs/Pubs considering the next game to build/fiance can ignore RPGs and Coop after the next 12 months.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:48 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Atari is always in trouble. A few years ago the Matrix game needed to be a success or Atari would have gotten massive problems.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:36 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Not sure what happened there.
I remember Shiny from their MDK series fom the 90s, while a shooter it seemed to be quite unique.

If I recall Shiny tried to build a brand new engine, a new game IP and put it accross 4 differnent platfroms in less then 3 years.
I dont think that has/had ever been done before, nor can I believe Shiny thought they could do it or that Atari believed they could or how ever it went down.

The idea that game sold millions (if I recall) with game review scores averaging 60% is just insane, at least to me.

Still the net income of 100 m seems huge (at least too me), they sure are not going to go hungry, thou I can see why some worry with an officer leaving and the loss of a lender.

The sad thing is this seems to be more and more common of a situation with the economy of the last 5 years and worst of all it is effecting my favortie industy, Womens Lingerie!.
j/k, no I am not! Viva da Lingerie!
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:21 pm