Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The framerates are ridiculous and unacceptable....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
eightman2k
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The framerates are ridiculous and unacceptable....

Athlon 2100
Geforce 4 4600
(3DMark 10,000+++)
512MB DDR2700RAM
VIAKT333 MB
Maxtor Liquidmax DMA133 75 GB HD
SB Audigy Gamer

In 1280, outdoors I get from 15-30 FPS average around 20-22, indoors I get anywhere from 30-70. Full distance, High sounds, 1 tick AI, Half shadows. I've run all resolutions form 1024-1600. The frame rate range is pretty much the same in all resolutions, the only difference being that the average framerate is better the lower the resolution and at the higher resolutions it tends to "jump" more.

I am actually really fumed, it seems pretty ridiculous to me that an absolute top of the line computer run this game smoothly. Every game I own(besidesMW) can give me at least 60FPS in 1024x768.

I took advice and spent last night setting the game up so tonight I can clear my head, and my agenda and just play. But I have to be honest and say I am disappointed by the technical side of the game so far. Hopefully the gameplay will balance things out.

Honestly the excuse that MW is a "Next Generation" game and that we should accept the framerates is absolute horsehit....my system setup has been shown to run the Unreal 2002 test (1024x768x32) at 85FPS!!! That engine is as next gen as any...it's ridiculous that MW can't even give consistent 30FPS....
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:30 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Umm, can it realy be that bad? My god, Bethsoft must be stupid!

The most common PC must be like 800mhz-1ghz, 256-512mb RAM, and Geforce 2-3.... i don' think more than half of the ones that buy Morrowind will have a system over that! And you computer seems to be a great one, you can't get that low fps!

For the eye to see the game as "smooth" you should have at least 50 fps...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:36 pm
Somnus

Weird

From other previous posts in the forum, people have been able to run it smoothly on 1.4ghz systems with a geforce 2.
The guy that did the preview on www.euro-morrowind.com had pretty much the same system as you and reported no choppiness whatsoever, even in built up areas. Maybe there's an error in your config, or possibly a rogue driver, happens quite often.

Somnus
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:40 pm

Ali Baba

Looks like I have no choice but to upgrade my GF2MX to GF4 Ti4600 to enjoy the game.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:40 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Try to turn fps displaying off. Numbers are not important, lets speak about how you feel it. It is really difference to have 30 or 100 fps in not FPS game?
Maybe it is, but it depends on if you really feel it.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:41 pm
Sand

OK for me

(Is there a console command to display framerate?)

My system:
1.33 GHz Athlon
512 MB PC2100 RAM
GeForce3 Ti200 (overclocked to 240/510)
Windows XP Pro

After creating a test character to fiddle with settings, I came up with:
2xAA
AI Distance: about the middle
Clipping: Maximum distance
Shadows: One increment from Off
Sounds: All the way on
Pixel Shading: on

I don't know about exact frame rates, but I get noticeable slowdowns in the starting village, and am fine in the countryside. For me, noticeable means I can see the game slowing down, but it's not bad enough to be a problem.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:45 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Danicek, there is a huge different from 30 to anything above 50. Im sure of that since i tested most of the games that is avalible. On different computers and in different settigns. I can accept like 40 fps, but no less.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:46 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I can accept 30 in RPGs, not less than 75 in multiplayer-FPSs that I play in several leagues.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:48 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Holy moly - which card allows so much overclocking without burning????

I have about the same system, but I do not dare to overclock it that way...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:48 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Let's be a little realistic please...
Comparing a FPS to Morrowind is silly, why not compare how your computer runs solitare to Unreal. Totally different programming techniques...

When was the last time it <insert from list> in Q3 or Unreal?
-rained/lightning/fog/overcast weather effects
-had realistic water/ripples
-had NPC reputation based reactions
-complete model displays with current clothing/armor/weapons/everything
-weapon movement based on player movement(slash, thrust, chop)

If your goal is a totally immersive experience you don't use the same engine as a game based on wrist flick.

Sorry if my reply is harsh...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:56 pm
Karhgath

Not a FPS

Well, 20-30fps is normal. First, it is not a FPS(First Person Shooter). Repeat after me: It is not a FPS. Roleplaying or Strategy games in 3D usually have around 30fps, because there is a lot of things to keep track and process, compared to a FPS. In FPS, more fps gives you a slight advantage of reaction. In other games, it's useless. And beside, when you get around 60fps, it really does nothing more having higher fps. Around 30(I think it's 24?) is the max you can see, and 60 is probably the max you can 'feel'(as in, the game is 'smooth'), but each person is different, but frankly, I don't see why people wants 200+ fps, beside to brag. Sure, I can run Quake1 with 300+fps... so what? It only means the engine is small and not very complicated and there isn't much happening in the game, hehe.

Morrowind is completely different. The graphics, the AI, etc. Don't expect to have the same amount of fps as in, say, a Quake 3 Arena based game. First, the 2 engines are ages appart for many different reasons, and the games are totally different. It's like asking why your ferrari needs more gas than your civic, hehe.

The framerates aren't related to the graphics per see, which is what people usually think. Often, in a FPS, graphics are the bottleneck. However, in games like Morrowind, graphics isn't really the (only) bottleneck anymore. It's not about being 'next-gen' or anything. It is, for some part, but the other 50% isn't because of the engine itself.

I agree 20 might be a little low, try to set it to have more around 30 than 20.

Beside, it depends on many options you are using. Are you using fullscreen antialiasing? Probably, considering your videocard and computer, hehe. That might explain a big part of it.

But, 30 fps is acceptable for a full 3D CRPG, and an incredible engine like Morrowind. I have plenty of non-FPS games that runs at around 30fps, some are even capped a that because of the AI/Main Game ticks(but I wouldn't say that was good programming, you should seperate the graphics from the main game loop, hehe).

UT2002 is just a 'tech demo'. It's there to show you nice scenery. However, Morrowind have much, MUCH more meat around the bones. This is what takes a toll.

Try removing AntiAliasing and getting to a 1600 resolution. You'll probably see a big framerate difference, without much quality loss(at 1600, AA isn't very useful anymore)
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:58 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Of course you can compare! Both games is great looking!

But the Unreal 2 engine seems to be very much better than the Morrowind, for graphics performance...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:59 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: Not a FPS

quote:
Originally posted by Karhgath
First, it is not a FPS(First Person Shooter). Repeat after me: It is not a FPS.

It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS. It is not a FPS.

I think I have it >D.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:59 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

On my system, running Dungeon Siege with everything full, I get about 15-23 FPS in less populated areas, and down to 5-10 in crowded areas, and it doesnt bother me. I just left it all at full settings, and I enjoy how it runs.

In gothic my FPS was'nt that high either, and I thought it ran smooth. So I dont see why you need 50 FPS or whatever. Maybe its just me...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:00 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Of course you can compare! Both games is great looking!

But the Unreal 2 engine seems to be very much better than the Morrowind, for graphics performance...

LOL, Rawis, you really can not compare things like this. There is not only huge difference in effects etc., but there are also NPCs with AI and many other things.
You can not compare it with Unreal on max and with 45 bots inside biggest arena you can download.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:01 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next