Gothic 3: Copy Protection Interview @ World of Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Gothic 3: Copy Protection Interview @ World of Gothic

World of Gothic has an <a href="http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic3/?go=interview10" target="_blank">interview</a> with Gothic 3 Producer Stefan Berger and Community Manager Johann "Ivan Ertlov" Ertl from JoWooD on the subject of copy protection. This is a translated interview and some of the nuances are hard to read but this probaby summarises the situation:<blockquote><em><b>Naturally it´s all about the copy-protection for Gothic 3. There´s a rumor, that the CP Starforce is the actual favourite. Are there any decisions made about the used Copy Protection for G3 ?</b> <br> <br>Till now we did´nt make a definite decision, especially for Gothic 3 we will very carefully think about it, because our first goal is: The interests of our fans, the community and each single player.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:06 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"Of cource, discussion on StarForce is extremly heated up by a few fanatics who believe to be on crusade. Moreover, there are visible connections with Warez Szene With a well known protagonist who has obviously a different focus than those honest buyers. However, some worries are very comprehensive, making some users to join he howling of the sometimes very dubious leading wolfes. "

This could be just the translation but if he has actual proof of this connection, to Warez sites, could we please see this info?
If not I could see myself making a nasty comment back to his (seemly) nasty comment about how no one has really been harmed and how this is a hoax (my word, of interpretation from this translation)

Secondly if this is an accurate translation and the lawsuit against Ubi is won by the people who have suffered problems due to Starforce, do you think Stefan Berger and Johann Ertl (honesty I can't tell which one said this or if it represents the company) will be men enough to apologize for insulting fans with these statements, the fans they say they (and by extension JoWood) care about?

Now if a German speaker mentions there is a problem with my translation, then I apologize, however if the translation is mostly correct this I will reserve my nasty comments, the very least of which will be, I don't think I will ever by a jowood game again.

Here is the translation link I used.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldofgothic.com%2Fgothic3%2F%3Fgo%3Dinterview10&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:06 pm

Actually he is only speaking about one individual who has been especially active on the german forums and is said to have ties to the warez scene. I didnt follow the discussion, so I can't really comment.

Also in the german interview it didn't really sound like "no harm done". Actually the community manager even says in his opinion any copy protection that stops 1:1 copies with Nero would be fine.

To me it sounded much like they'll not use starforce for Gothic 3. Just my interpretation...
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:47 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The translation is incorrect. Johann Ertl mentions the following points. My comments in brackets:

- The (SpellForce 2 -> Starforce) discussion was heated up by a bunch of fanatics who believe they are on a crusade. (This is obviously correct. I´ve read the threads in the SF2 forum. A few people registered multiple accounts and posted canned anti-Starforce posts. The officials were able to track down the original sources of these posts and prove the multi-accounts with IPs.)

- One of the leading figures of the anti-Starforce movement has noticeable conncections to the warez scene, so he obviously has different goals than honest customers (who protest against Starforce).
(He doesn´t give the details. I still believe him. A correctly implemented Starforce - which is not the norm - is a dangerous thread for the warez scene´s money making machine.)

- Some of the worries are justified. He doens´t blame users who join in to the leaders´ ululations.
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:46 pm

This is stupid because any game that has starforce protection gets cracked anyways and that guy who has (so called) connections to the warez scene is just an idiot which is probably just downloading warez and selling them and doesn't even put any effort into it. Any person really affiliated with the warez scene wouldn't be their complaining and if anything would just be laughing at any company that wastes money putting copy protection on their games. (especially starforce since they loose customers because of it)

If this game comes out with starforce I will wait till the crack comes out and then buy it.
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:31 pm

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

No chance I'm buying a game with Starforce on it. Even if Gothic 2 was my favorite game of all time.

No way no how.
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:22 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

whether Starforce actually is bueno or no bueno (i am in california here), it certainly does not behoove one to include it in software that one wishes to be successful in the marketplace.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:45 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
whether Starforce actually is bueno or no bueno (i am in california here), it certainly does not behoove one to include it in software that one wishes to be successful in the marketplace.

"For English Press 2"

With Ubisoft dumping Starforce entirely I think their days are numbered.
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:26 pm

Gothic 3 Probably Without StarForce

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
No chance I'm buying a game with Starforce on it. Even if Gothic 2 was my favorite game of all time.

I don't wanna rush ahead but since yesterday, JoWooD's CM Johann Ertl said more than once on WorldofGothic.de that Gothic 3 probably won't come equipped with Starforce. It isn't final yet - I presume they still need Deep Silver's (Koch Media) approval.

Anyway - it's good news.

Yours,
Rashnu
Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:21 pm

Developing such an awesome game like Gothic 3 and bastardizeing it by starforce would be a waste because Starforce is fully crackable now so they are just hurting the people that buy it look at Spellforce 2 the Europe version is Starforce and it got released on the scene weeks before the release date and cracked You dont even need to unplug you're drives anymore
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:46 am

gargar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

the way i see it, those who pirate games will pirate it anyway. starforce just make it harder on them. and now it's totally crackable anyway. now, those who love gothic will buy it regardless. so why make their lives hard?

look at games like galactic civilizations. no copy protection. nothing. and yet it sell real good. and this game does not have the name or the amount of fans like gothic. and it certainly not in the same caliber as gothic 3.
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:59 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Some people say forums angst makes no difference, I disagree in some instances, especially with more niche games. People who merely play the Gothic games are not the only ones who keep their eye on RPgdot...

be firm, stay outraged
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:00 am