View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Blocking Glitch

Hey everyone
I am not a greenhorn or anything as Gorn would say, but I have encountered a difficult glitch when fighting.
If I just practice with a sword I can block rapidly and easily by pushing back. However, if I engage an enemy block becomes almost useless because it hardly ever activates. I can usually block once and then any further attempts leaves hero standing there looking like an idiot as some fanatic templar pounds the ever-living out of me. I can only start to block again if I jump back.
I encountered this earlier in the game but it seemed to go away now it is back and making my life hell because I am playing a very restricted build so this first fanatic templar barely takes damage from me. Needless to say I need to be able to block.
I am patched upto 1.08k have fps patch and this is about my upteenth time playing the game, but this is new to this play through.
Any ideas?
thanks, rordog
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:32 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Rordog,

A good question you ask here, there isn't much "specific" info on this problem here on the forums, although there is plenty related to the stat's re: skill/level/armour/strength factors etc'.
I have also have had this problem a few times, and i believe it is the opponents stats that are blocking pc-hero's own blocking/parry abilities. I would guess that your stat's are not too high? (restrictive build) and if that is so, this becomes most noticeable when opposing the high stat's of apocalyptic templars.

I doubt weather removing the fps patch would improve the situation? - i remembered also that doing a repair from the installation screen seemed to help a little but not much. (saves stay intact).

Just for you, i tried a low statted pc-hero against the "lowest" of the fanatics, and i was really struggling with the block, increasing stats slowly and progressively to the same as the opponent yielded improved results.

---------------------------------

some stats Lev str dex a/w a/arr a/fire a/magic
GorBoba types 50 70 65 145 150 75 75
Apocalyptic 100 70 65 1055 1010 105 70
Apocalyptic 100 70 65 1055 1010 105 80

There is a big increase from the GorBoba types to the apocalyptic types, of which their own blocking abilities are impressive and of course, when the ice block is used on the templars, their blocking becomes negated.

This is not an absolute answer to the problem, but it does help to see what pc-hero is up against because the templar parry atributes seem to be overcome at pc-hero's higher levels much more than pc-hero's middle levels.

I see this as the normal "progressiveness" that the dev's have written into game, therefore requiring pc-hero to be quite max'd out when attempting the latter/final part of the game.

Hope you can find a solution.
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:26 am
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks Wulf, as always you provide timely assistance.
The thought of being so statistically overmatched never even occured to me. I will go and fight someone of a more suitable level and see if my abilities feel more intact.
later, rordog
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:22 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Damn.
Wulf I think I know what you mean when you are way overmatched and have trouble against someone much higher than you. They seem to pretty much plow through your feeble blocking attempts.
Unfortunately, this is different it just feels messed up. I tried fighting someone 5 lvls below me, but to no avail. PC hero just stands there and says "oh yes, play me like a drum."
I am going to try a reinstall and just copy my saves elsewhere.
later, rordog
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:41 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

( )
can you callenge enyone to fight with you how?
Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:55 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Rordog, this might not work for you, but it has for me......doubletap the block each time you need to block.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:54 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

But the way I remember it, you need to go back to block an attack, right ?
Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:40 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@X-dANGEr,

Re:"But the way I remember it, you need to go back to block an attack, right ?

Yes back key blocks, the best eaiest trick is to keep a finger constantly on the back key then press foward/up key with another finger as required at the same time (first and second fingers of the right hand)
Post Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:26 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Left hand you mean, right ?
Post Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:31 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Right hand.

With a left hand finger on left-ctrl, your r/h 1st finger will be held *continually* on the backward key while your r/h 2nd finger will press the foward key for whenever you wish to attack, so that at any time you are not foward attacking you will be by default, blocking.
Post Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:51 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

You dont need to block! Keep beating the enemy until he dies! ME KILL!
Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:47 pm