Gothic 1 and 2. How do they compare?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Gothic 1 and 2. How do they compare?

I'm just about finished Gothic(And it was a great game! For the most part) and naturally I was thinking about buying the sequel. But before I consider buying it I wanted to ask a few questions I have about certain things that irked me in Gothic, and whether they are still present in Gothic 2.

- I really liked the idea of joining camps in Gothic, but I was somewhat upset when I realized that once you joined a camp there weren't any missions for them to give you. After you joined your camp you pretty much just went along with the main story and never really interacted with them again on a non-plot level. Are the factions in Gothic 2 more interactive and involving?

- At my current point in Gothic, I am a expert lockcracker, acrobat swordsman, archer, crossbowman, and masterful practitioner of magic(6th circle), as well as a capable pickpocket. The only thing I suck at is two handed swords, which isn't much, when you think of it. One of the (few) things about Morrowind I liked was that you had to specialize your character in certain skills, and thus you felt unique. In Gothic you are a Master of All Trades. In Gothic 2 do you have to specialize your skills in certain catergories to be successful? Or do you eventually become a God, as you do in Gothic?

- Are there more quests than just plot related ones? Gothic was really bad for this, and I was kind of hoping that there would be more moments where you stumble upon random quests to do as you go from one place to the next. These kind of out of the blue quests can make RPG's much more fun.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:16 am
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
- I really liked the idea of joining camps in Gothic, but I was somewhat upset when I realized that once you joined a camp there weren't any missions for them to give you. After you joined your camp you pretty much just went along with the main story and never really interacted with them again on a non-plot level. Are the factions in Gothic 2 more interactive and involving?
Well, you have to master a number of special guild quests to advance within the guild. There are also some additional ones. Also, there are some quests later in the game which somewhat depend on your membership.

quote:
- At my current point in Gothic, I am a expert lockcracker, acrobat swordsman, archer, crossbowman, and masterful practitioner of magic(6th circle), as well as a capable pickpocket. The only thing I suck at is two handed swords, which isn't much, when you think of it. One of the (few) things about Morrowind I liked was that you had to specialize your character in certain skills, and thus you felt unique. In Gothic you are a Master of All Trades. In Gothic 2 do you have to specialize your skills in certain catergories to be successful? Or do you eventually become a God, as you do in Gothic?
If you play it the 'normal' way you certainly have to specialize. Of course, if you spend hours and hours of leveling up you'll have enough LP to become an all-rounder. But it's like thar in almost any RPG - and it should. Those who want to spend more time on the game to become stronger (and thus making it easier) should be able to do so.

quote:
- Are there more quests than just plot related ones? Gothic was really bad for this, and I was kind of hoping that there would be more moments where you stumble upon random quests to do as you go from one place to the next. These kind of out of the blue quests can make RPG's much more fun.
Yes, there's quite a number of side quests featured in the game.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:05 am
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

Gothic 2 almost guarantees replay value with the magic so well separated. Play as a merc or paladin one time, then play as a mage.

But Gothic 2 doesn't have much at all for dungeons, but it's still hard to find any single player game that can compete with it.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:28 am
baudhi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I kinda feel like mage is the way it's suppose to be played, ALOT more stuff to do in chapter 1 as a mage =)
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:52 pm
bora
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

As You probably know (at least I`ve read so) G2 Addon will not give us additional chapter/s but will expand existing universe of G2 so game can be played one more time with many new surprises and fair piece of new area to explore. First I played Paladin. Now I will try mage path. Maybe someone knows if Addon will only bring new features into the game or will erase some elements from original G2?
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:52 pm