Usergroups
About the magic system
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Ðrâktøn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

One thing has me a little concerned, and that is the way you cast spells. You must draw the runes with your mouse. Isn't that very much time consuming? I can't imagine myself entering a room full of orcs and starting to draw a fireball spell, while those guys start moving towards me. And casting a second one? I can't see how.
It seems to me that magic will be for the fast-reflexed people I'm not ((
Ð
Post Thu Jul 19, 2001 2:18 am
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

maybe it's more like in thief :
sneaking !
stealth walk when you here orcs, look around in a dark corner, and throw a fireball on an explosive barrel near to frag'em all !!

Don't think Quake, think Thief !

Post Fri Jul 20, 2001 12:30 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I brought that up in the other thread, and was hoping to get an answer from Raf himself. I think that it is one of those things that we are going to have to try to see what its really like. It does sound cumbersome!

Post Fri Jul 20, 2001 1:40 pm
Raf
Arkane Master
Arkane Master

Hi,
Yes, casting a spell in emergency is kind of stressing, and tends to lead to casting failure, but this is somehow part of the fun, I must say that even we (the developers) loose control when we are in front of a lich Also, don't forget you can use scrolls.
There are 2 ways to answer your question:
1/This system might be stressing, but at least it adds some realism to magic... and after all, some may say, just play as warrior or thief if you can't do magic
2/Because we're not that nasty, we plan to put a 'precasting system', allowing the player to store a few spells as clickable icons. But I must say this will be submited to a lot of testing, because I personnaly believe it ruins the fun.
Post Fri Jul 20, 2001 3:49 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I must admit that I think it can add a whole lot to a "realistic" feel.
Imagening how wizards cast spells in the movies, I can see myself making the same gestures to conjure up the magic.
Could be pretty cool to do.

BUT I also share the concerns that it might become too cumbersome and prone to too much failure.
I can hear myself already: "WHAT? I made the right gesture, I KNOW I did it right, why don't I cast that fireball spell darnit!"

Hehe, I dunno, it might be great fun IF it's not too complicated.

Snoekie
Post Sat Jul 21, 2001 9:43 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I am sure Raf and the rest of the programmers have this topic full on their mind anytime they do anything with the magic system. Whenever you do something different like this you definately have to weigh how much the user will tolerate until he feels its a burden.

Post Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:23 am
Ðrâktøn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yup. My main concern is with the FF (Frustration Factor). Why would I have to play as a Thief when I want to play as a mage, but can't because the spell system is too cumbersome for me? What if because of my age my reflexes aren't that good or fast and can't do those things properly? This game is at the very top of my wish list. I only hope that a 'novelty' thing won't spoil it all.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:44 pm

Addendum to RAF:
I quote from your post:
"Hi,
Yes, casting a spell in emergency is kind of stressing, and tends to lead to casting failure, but this is somehow part of the fun, I must say that even we (the developers) loose control when we are in front of a lich Also, don't forget you can use scrolls.
There are 2 ways to answer your question:
1/This system might be stressing, but at least it adds some realism to magic... and after all, some may say, just play as warrior or thief if you can't do magic ."

I hope you are not missing one very important point: a game can be challenging, can be stressing, can be realistic or whatever you want, but above all it must be FUN to play, and maybe what is fun for you is not for the rest of the people. I strongly suggest you pay attention to some other people's opinions, and try to make the game accesible and thus fun, for the most people possible
Ð
Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 6:02 pm

Why didn't you quote the all answer :
it says that a precasting system is on its way...
Post Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:42 am

Ðrâktøn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Not quite. He says: (quote):
"2/Because we're not that nasty, we plan to put a 'precasting system', allowing the player to store a few spells as clickable icons. *But I must say this will be submited to a lot of testing, because I personnaly believe it ruins the fun*."
The last part tells me it's not very likely they'd implement that system. Plus he says that that would ruin the fun. That's why I said that what might be fun for him might NOT
be fun for everyone else, so my concern is about a lot of people, me included, being frustrated, thus the game not selling well, and we won't see Arx Fatalis II.
Ð

[ This Message was edited by: Ðrâktøn on 2001-07-28 03:59 ]
Post Sat Jul 28, 2001 8:45 am
Raf
Arkane Master
Arkane Master

Hi guys, don't worry too much about the casting system. Testing will tell if it's too hard or too easy. The goal for us as developers is obviously to make it fun for the players (not for us), and we'll spend as much time as we can to get it right.
Post Sat Jul 28, 2001 12:27 pm

quote:

On 2001-07-21 04:43, Snoekie wrote:
BUT I also share the concerns that it might become too cumbersome and prone to too much failure.
I can hear myself already: "WHAT? I made the right gesture, I KNOW I did it right, why don't I cast that fireball spell darnit!"

Hehe, I dunno, it might be great fun IF it's not too complicated.

Snoekie

Snoekie> As you can read on Garret's preview :
"Once the program recognizes a rune, a voice says its name and you can paint the next rune. If the rune is not recognized, you simply repaint it, as long as you hold down the CTRL key, the previous recognized rune(s) are stored, but if you release the CTRL key, you have to start all over again."
http://www.rpgdot.com/team/articles.php?ID=70

So I think you don't have to worry...

-Le Magot d'Oz
Post Thu Aug 02, 2001 12:00 am