I'm embarrassed to ask this, but. . .
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but. . .

How do I find out what all the question marks are on the items in my inventory?

I'm just learning the ropes, obviouslym but everything in my inventory has "???????" on it. How do I know what they are? I guess my p[roblem is that I have little patience and am trying to 'like' the game but am getting quite frustrated at small things. (My fault.)

TIA,
~T

-=>Loyal Member of the NFG<=-

"In the end, a shadow is only a passing thing."
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:48 am
Thalin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've been playing Morrowind for a long time, and must admit I don't know what you mean by the question marks.

I may just be mistaken, or your game is corrupt, a bad mod install maybe?
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:55 am
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

On items. There is a list when you scroll over each item in your inventory. It includes:

Price
Value
Weight

Then under most of the misc items, like herbs and flowers and such, are a bunch of question marks.

Could it be that because I am a fighter without much magic that they do not apply to me so therefore I don't need to know the 'properties?'

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Thalin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh right! I understand, I thought you meant there were question marks in the inventory, as if they were items in there (if you know I mean!)

Yes, no need to worry, you just need to be more experienced, for example, question marks show up with herbs and such because you need to be at a higher level in alchemy to know what effects it has, what it can create etc.

Morrowind is such a huge, open ended game, that things like this really do help involve the player.
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:36 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Thank you. If I am not experienced enough or will nopt be using too much magic is it fair to say that I should just sell them and get them out of my inventory? I would think I shouldn't really be 'herb hunting' at all since I am not a magic user?

Thanks again.

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:08 pm
Thalin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's up to you. It's your adventure, so play it your way
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:41 pm
Santera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I suppose if you plan not to use homemade potions you may sell all these herbs and other ingradients without any doubt.
You'll need some of ingradients during the game (morrowind) doing quests but is will be no problem to find them.
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:44 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, sell them. At the start of the game you're better off investing in a good weapon or some decent armour rather than a pile of herbs and berries. However, Alchemy is a fun little hobby to have, so once you get some spare capital give it a try.

In the meantime, a little hint for you - find an apothecary you like, and try to make a point of selling your excess ingredients to them and them alone. That way, you'll always know where to find a good stock of ingredients, and if you later discover you've sold something you needed, you'll know where to start looking for it.

Nalcarya of the White Havens in Balmora doesn't bother dealing with the plebs any more. We have an understanding, she and I - I get her all the ingredients she wants, and she gets me the cold, hard cash I want. As a bonus, she doesn't have to associate with all the scruffy commoners any more.
Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I like that town too. I'll try the same! Tahnks!

Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:07 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Try to get a little more alchemy skill though. You'll find that some of the reagents come in real handy in a pinch. Potions are far more useful, but reagents can be found everywhere and some give some good, but short, effects in emergencies.
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:51 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The item creation is a fun distraction and it lets you make some truly uber items. If you find a potion, just use it when you want to, there is no shortage of them, I ended up never using the damn things and carried them forever. What a waste.

For anything like ingredients that you might want to keep, don't carry them on your PC all the time as the weight adds up, just dump them somewhere.

You can also make a nice bit of money refining drugs to sell on. Just don't get caught by the guards.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:35 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

If you become a drug dealer, good luck finding people to sell them to. Good suggestion, find the race that has an odd addiction to it, they'll always buy it.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:40 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I managed to turn a tidy profit producing and selling drugs, and in the game too.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:48 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

It is very profitable, but only if you find someone to buy the junk. Thats the challenge in itself, no "respectable" merchants want to deal with a drug dealer. Thats why I go to the reliable customer, the "furry ones".
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:14 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I find outside schools and in clubs are good places to sell it.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:05 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next