Fable
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

Fable

Does anyone else here think that Fable almost looks like a reason to to buy a Xbox? Seems very much like Gothic; with action that reminds me of the Legacy of Kain series. Some of the roleplaying elements may only be superficial, but it has an alignment system complete with screaming townsfolk if you go totally evil .

Anyway, just thought I'd fire this one off before I slept, discuss away!

Melvil
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:15 am
Kloetenotto
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Most definately NOT.

Fable looks nothing like Gothic to me.
I would at least recommend to wait for LOTS of player reviews before even thinking about getting it. You just can't trust the big gaming sites when it comes to a Molyneux game.

So far I haven't seen or read anything about Fable that makes me look forward to it.
I DO look forward to the whinings of disappointed buyers though
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:38 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

For me it's not a reason to buy a 'box, mainly because I already have one . I'll get Fable, anyway, since I'm supposed to sell it, but I'm actually interested in the game, and what it has to offer... without conjuring images of other games. Anyhow, I'm not going to judge the game before I have played it.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:35 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Definately not. With the so called Xclusive XBox games so far, most of them (KotoR, Morrowind, Halo, etc) have gotten a PC version sooner or in some cases considerably later.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:43 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

It depends on how badly you want to play it.

I bought an XBox originaly for Halo, and then sold it once it came out on PC. Now I am going to buy another one for Fable & Halo 2. I timed the sale perfectly though, because I sold it just before the price drop, so now I will be buying another one for the price I got for my old one

I would be extremely cautious when reading the hype around fable. Peter is a great guy and an excellent game developer, but he does have a tendancy to get realy excited about features he wants to implement, before he has actualy managed to get them working.

The sad fact of the matter, is that more often than not the hardware available at the time is often not powerful enough to implement his ideas. For example: Fable was supposed to allow you to plant trees and see them grow as the game progressed, but due to the XBox's limitations it was removed.

I still think Fable is going to be a great game, but its definately going to be VERY different than Gothic. I think you will be dissapointed if you start playing it expecting it to be Gothic 3. Its a console game and you need to keep that in mind or you will be very dissapointed with it.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:14 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I was quite excited...until I read the reviews which make it sound like Sim-Zelda. Only 30 quests with like a 12 hour main storyline. That does not sound like a hardcore Morrowind like they originally were pitching.

Even the free DVD I got last month acted like the game was HUGE with 100s of hours of gameplay.

Now a few weeks later we learn the game is VERY short. Makes Deus Ex look like Morrowind.

Will I still play it...YES. Will I pay 50 bucks...NO.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:39 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Peters games have always been like that.

If you are the kind of person who just plays through games sticking to the main storyline and not exploring at all then his games are definately not for you. You are going to finish them far too quickly and you are going to miss 75% of the game.

I doubt there is only 12hrs of gameplay for an average player. I would hope that he has learnt his lesson after Black & White...
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:58 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Molyneux
The absolute design decision was this: If you want to go through the game quickly, you should be able to. I mean you can get through the whole of the first Half-Life, if you really know what you're doing, in 50 minutes. Personally, when I played Half-Life, I don't know how many hours it took me because I investigated every nook and cranny. If you want to investigate every nook and cranny in Fable, it's going to take you an unbelievable amount of time. For example, there's these things called Demon Doors that you go through and there's a little side quest in each one. There's lots of optional quests and there's lots of what we call vignettes, where people walk up to you and ask for your help. If you ignore all of those you can go through it pretty quickly, but you're not going to be the hero that you could be.

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:08 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Still reading about it. Still looks fairly good. Still not paying more than 30 bucks for it

Im not really a big "who's-who" type of game-designer groupie anyway, I wouldnt know Peter Molyneux from Derek Smart. Alright, well maybe I would know that much..

I am sorta a Vince Desi fan I guess, is he a designer or just a PR flak or something for Running With Scissors? Well, in any case, If I hear him working on another project I will be happy about it. Im really not very good at all when it comes to this "inside baseball" sort of gaming industry talk, I should just quit while Im ahead and go play some Sacred or something='.'=

Im an American McGee groupie too I guess, his newest game coming out "Scrapland" looks kinda promising!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:36 am
Redstone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am 3 hours into it and it is better at the three hour mark than it was after an hour. I also wipped through the child and teen years so I may have missed some stuff. Now I am taking my time and exploring.
Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:11 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

The game is a good ZELDA type console game. It is nothing like Morrowind or Gothic.

I like to call it DEUS/ZELDA. It has the choices of Deus Ex and the gameplay of Zelda.

The music is very good...like Morrowind.

I don't think the game is like Gothic at all.

If you have an Xbox and you'd like a Zelda-style game then this is a great purchase!!!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:22 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

What's all this about comparing it with other games? Fable is Fable, if you're interessed, buy it. If you're not interessed, don't buy it. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it. I bought this game and I can reccomend it, but that wont mean that everyone else should buy it.

But back to topic, it depends on how much you want it, maybe you're lucky a friend got xbox and has bought the game, but if not look at it how eager you are after the game, is it something that makes you scream of joy when you hear about it, or is it 'only something you want'?
If you would scream of joy then perhaps you should consider buying an xbox, even if you did it might not be in vain if you ended up not liking the game, great titles are coming up like Halo2 and Kotor2. There's even a little rumor that Gothic3 might (I'm just saying might) be a console game too
But if it is only a game you find interessting you should realy consider buying an xbox unless there are other titles you want.

If I might state a few things I like about Fable.
    Music - the music of Fable is awesome, I just love when I load up my save and the music is starting, really creates a great atmosphere
    Graphics - Beautiful graphics on towns, wilderness, characters and everything
    NPC AI's - This is probably the most impressive about Fable, be good and the people will love you, salute you, name their dog after you and much more. Be evil and they will shun away from you, scream and so on.
    Storyline - starts with a simple story that evolves to be great
    Effects - Spell effects looks really cool, while visual effects over the world makes the world look really beautifull
Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:22 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You can do a lot of silly things... if you like to run around in an evening gown, fart and be called 'Arseface', than this is your game . It's as whimsical as you want it to be, and quite entertaining. It's a bit more difficult to play it in a dead serious way, though.
Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:32 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I'm thinking about getting an Xbox after Christmas, and I'll probably end up buying Fable too - primarily out of curiosity, but from what I've read/heard, I'll probably enjoy it at least a little. Sure, it's a shame it isn't what it should have been, but I was prepared for that disappointment a few months back when early glimpses of the game revealed that Molyneux & co had been overegging the pudding a great deal. Since then, I've just been anticipating a fun game, which is probably not unrealistic.

How about old Molyneux making a public apology for his hype habit? I didn't expect that. Quite refreshing, but personally I think he was still being a bit evasive (ie, apologising "if" any of his promises weren't kept, when he knows full well that hardly any of them were). Still, hopefully this means he'll be a bit more truthful in future, and I do think it's cool that he made such a statement. If only Warren Spector had taken a similarly diplomatic approach when defending Deus Ex 2, and as for Derek Smart - ! Ah, i used the words "diplomatic" and "Derek Smart" in the same sentence, what a fool I am.
Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:17 am
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

quote:
Originally posted by piln

How about old Molyneux making a public apology for his hype habit?

And so he did here
Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:08 pm