Could you guys review Mistmare?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Could you guys review Mistmare?

This game seems to be the only CRPG that came out recently and there's not going to be another CRPG on the market for months to come (afaik). I tried the demo, but I was greatly disappointed by the awkward controls, and I never really gave the game a chance. Their official forum is filled with complaints, as well as praises, so it's not really possible to decide whether the game turned out to be successful, bad or mediocre. From what I saw, it has a tremendous potential, despite the terrible controls and other stupid features.
The game is not widely known so I doubt that sites like Gamespot will ever review it. And even if they would, their review would probably be biased (just look at the "official" score Gamespot gave Gothic).
You guys review RPGs from a hardcore RPGer's point of view and I usually trust your opinion (Morrowind and NWN being the exception ). It would be great to find out whether the only new RPG on the market is worth purchasing.

P.S. I'm sending you a couple of bucks hoping that if you decide to review Mistmare after all, this money will help you to purchase the copy
Post Sat May 17, 2003 2:10 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I believe Garrett has had a review copy for a while - any news Garrett? I'm waiting for the review before deciding, too.
Post Sat May 17, 2003 10:38 am
Garrett

Yes I have, but, since I am not reviewing it at the moment...well, it should give you an idea about how I like it...
Post Mon May 19, 2003 4:52 pm
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

I've seen a very bad review for it in a mag.

Shame cos I wanted it to be good as there is nothing else about
Post Mon May 19, 2003 5:23 pm
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
Yes I have, but, since I am not reviewing it at the moment...well, it should give you an idea about how I like it...

Right...

I think they've lost an opportunity with the timing, anyway. One of the reasons I was interested was simply the lack of other RPG releases this year. EB seem to have put it back about a month (late June) and by that time I think I'll be anticipating other games like PoTC. *shrug*
Post Tue May 20, 2003 12:53 am
Necrosis
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

@NeverDark: Although it's not a pure RPG, "Empire of Magic" hit the shelves at Best Buy this past weekend. (I bought a copy, but haven't had a chance to give it a spin yet. ) RPGDot has had numerous newsbits on it over the past few months; maybe you should look into that game to tide you over for awhile.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 1:38 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I did not enjoy empire of magic.

I have barely looked at the beginnings of both of those games mentioned.
Not enough for a review, but I can say I played enough of empire of magic to decide it was bad.
Post Thu May 29, 2003 4:35 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I just finished reading review of Mistmare (in Czech language, so no use of it for you), but they pointed out:
- good story
- good and inovative ideas
- extremly bad technical work (not nice graphic, needs very very strong PC, AI of your character = 0)
- extremly bad controls

Bad things in this game according to review buried all good things.
I will try to translate conclusion for you:
"There is no need to talk about Mistmare in more details. We must say that there are several good ideas and original story, insteresting character developement. All this work was burried by designer and technical workers. It is not possible to play this game."
Post Thu May 29, 2003 1:32 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

MY review of the game might be similar but I didnt do enough of it to be fair.

I thought the writing and story were great, planescape torment or baldurs gate quality. I felt the story even has a lot of philosphy like planescape torment which I am playing full force right now.

I went through the poor tutorial and could not complete the very first mission, which was to investigate a heretic.

I did figure out how to change the controls, which as everyone points out default to some kind of insane look one way move the other ridiculousness.

I thought the graphics were good though.

But anyhow in a short test out the game didnt function right for me, and Im waiting to see actual reviews of it or walk throughs.
Post Fri May 30, 2003 3:29 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Also several reviews pointed out that update could fix many things in this game and improve it a lot, because nearly all minuses are "patchable" in this certain game.
Post Fri May 30, 2003 12:02 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Itīs time to move this thread to general crpg, I think.
Post Fri May 30, 2003 12:19 pm
Garrett

why so? we are talking about mistmare, don'T we?
Post Fri May 30, 2003 12:30 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, about the game, not about a possible review on RPGDot.
Some people in General CRPG asked about Mistmare and didnīt know about this thread.
Post Fri May 30, 2003 2:57 pm
Zamolxis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Good story, bad gameplay

I must say the story is pretty original and the graphics are nice too but the gameplay , or in the other words: games are supposed to be fun part is missing. The story is liniar and the fights are pretty much all the same. If you wanna play a fighter class it's pretty doable but if you wanna play as a mage it's going to be tough (and mages are my favorite class).
I got bored of it and never finished it.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:27 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I played Mistmare almost 20 hours, and i can say that just stay out of it if you do not want to disgust RPG gaming.
In the beginning, story and world setting was interesting. Graphics are ok,but, sounds are just sucks. There're some whinings you here occasionally that pretend to be 'musics'. I admit, that Arx Fatalis, too, do not have music, but it had a very good atmosphere and ambient voices. But, this game nahhhh.. Ambient sounds are not enough. And your main character has a walking sound that makes your head blast.
Some structures in Mistmare looks really great, nice gothic feeling. But interaction is minimum with them. You feel yourself looking to a painting, not playing a game.
The game uses skill system, you do not have experience points. You can increase your skills with fighting and training, praying and such things. But you can not train or pray forever because there is a time management system in the game. It locked itself when you make too much things out of the main story.But, you don't have much to do without following main story.
There are so many disjunctions in the story. For ex, there are so many times that you don't have any idea what to do next and just spend your time with boring things like praying and such. Side quests are just boring. You can receive some nice items from them, if you have enough patient. And the last thing with the story is, it goes from city to city. You can not pass to another city until story permits you. And, this chapter feeling makes the game really bad.
And, combats. In the beginning, they are interesting. But, do not accept too much combat at the beginning of the game. (First 10 hours) Real combats are in the passes between cities, but all of the battlefields look
same, so it becomes boring some time later.
And last thing, if you are so persistent to play this 'game' install the latest patch. Because, it has some slowdown problems even in high tec
PCs without patch.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:25 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next