E3 discussion on recently revealed RPG titles
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

E3 discussion on recently revealed RPG titles

Beside KotOR 2: The Sith Lord, another titles look interesting would be the Bioware new PC RPG - Dragon Age. The given title seem surprisingly unremarkable and generic, although it will not determine the end product quality.

Dungeon Lord looks very tasty - it is action RPG, FPS perspective and offering huge battle scene. There are few others but i'm not familiar with the developers though. For the worst we may never heard from them again after E3.
Post Sun May 09, 2004 7:54 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Here's a bit exchange with David Gaider from Bio on the name (thanks to NW Vault):

Reader: Dragon Age? Dragon Age??!? Who came up with that name? Gaider?

Gaider: It's just a name. Believe me, in a couple of years you won't imagine that it could have been called anything else. And, no, I didn't come up with it.

Reader: It's a play on terms like "Iron Age" and "Bronze Age", it's the "Dragon Age". It's describing the society in which it's based.

Gaider: Ding ding ding! Give the man a prize! It's okay, Torias. We announce the title this early so everyone can get all their urbane wit out of their system.

Not sure if that makes anyone feel any better about it but it makes some sense to me.
Post Sun May 09, 2004 8:32 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

those are all cool looking games.

But they are still a long way off. Next year or later maybe?

I wonder which are going to be out in the fall and winter...
Post Sun May 09, 2004 8:59 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Well Bio can insist that Dragon Age is just a name, who care what it called. But still, a good name, or a cool name probably could play some marketing role, something catchy? It's unusual if Bio can't think of better name. It sound like a title of children book or something.

And hopefully more RPG surprises from E3, more new titles. Anyone heard more about the game by Flagship Studios yet? It sound like new generation of Diablo but nothing clearer so far.
Post Sun May 09, 2004 10:28 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

According to some sources there should be 21 new RPGs to be announced. Well, we will see what else is there.
Post Sun May 09, 2004 2:57 pm
Dhruin

That was probably me, in part. If you take the 1000 new games x 7% RPG x 30% PC = 21.

Don't hold your breath for 21 but that should mean there's a few to be announced.
Post Sun May 09, 2004 10:20 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Well, not really many things to look forward...
Post Mon May 10, 2004 1:05 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

no, particularly as there isn't one crpg that's coming out that i;ve heard about that has got me even remotely excited.

Possibly Arx Fatalis 2, at some stage, but being a fan of games like might and magic/wizardry etc/ party based games which you control all charicters as a unit (not individually as in Baldurs Gate etc) there is nothing about.........

and apparently nothing due to come out.

Is it true that the next game I can look forward to coming out is the might and magic tribrute game, possiblly due out in 2006?
Post Mon May 10, 2004 3:41 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Arx Fatalis still a long way off, probably 2006. I am hoping for a fundamentally new RPG but maybe i'm just dreaming . It looks like shooter genre has more interesting & dynamic theme - Monolith just announced a title with "Matrix meets The Ring" flavor.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 5:48 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for confirmation Remus,

i suspected it might be a while until Arx F 2 came out.

The drought goes on.
Post Mon May 10, 2004 5:52 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

There is grimoire, a wizardry 7 type game.
Post Tue May 11, 2004 8:00 am
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes, I hadn't heard of it, but checking out the screen shots it looks good. However having read the comments about the game it seems that people are very doubtful the game even exists, or will even come out.

I'm not sure what to make of it, hopfully it will come out sepember this year (as the producer said at the earlliest). Yet with no release date set it would seem that the debates as to whether the game will ever be released will continue
Post Tue May 11, 2004 1:27 pm
DBear
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What's in a name?

I still think Divine Divinity beats Dragon Age in the lame title contest.

"My best friend's a spider; my girlfriend's a cardboard cutout I stole from Circuity City." Spock's Beard--"Devil's Got My Throat"
Post Sat May 15, 2004 3:04 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It was the marketing peoples (at CDV?) who decided the title Divine Divinity. Good marketing skills i guess.

And well the E3 coming to an end now, with no surprise, only few new RPG titles that we already know before the event: Dragon Age, The Bard's Tale, Dungeon Siege 2 and KoTOR 2. Others, like Arx Fatalis 2 haven't show up yet so definitely still a long way off.... It seem to me mixed titles like Thief: Deadly Shadows, Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines are more interesting.
Post Sat May 15, 2004 4:20 am
Dhruin

I think Dragon Age could be considered an E3 announcement but there wasn't much otherwise. Actually, there were few interesting announcements in any genre.
Post Sat May 15, 2004 9:26 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next