View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
twobells
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Seal Of Evil Demo-Help Required

Hey all

I'm stuck right on my last quest, the flower wine.
Basically I have the wine concerned but can't find the person I'm meant to give it to!
Also, where do I rest/camp/sleep?

many thanks in advance

tb
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:52 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Yes, I am also interested where do I do my 1st plot quest - imho -> sleeping? I had trouble finding the lead heroine's bed in her father's house last year in the 1st demo, but this is ridicuoulus. I believe that to her room, the stairs on the left of her father's room are supposed to lead, but I cannot click there. If I am mistaking, please correct me (and i am sure I finished the demo last year) or confirm if this is a bug or what?
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:09 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

You're one up on me; where is her father's house? I can't figure out which one it is. Maybe I just don't understand all the names.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:12 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Her father's house is the one in the center of the village (given that she's the leader's daughter). The one where on the one side of the house is the huge altar (which is not usable in the demo), and on the other -> the huge useless room, with a further flight of stairs to the right, that lead to the father's room, where you find the helmet for one of the quests. As far as I remember from last years demo, the girl's room is on the flight of stairs that are immediately to the NW of the position they appear in the father's room. But I cannot enter that new flight of stairs, and am imminently send back to the huge useless room with the throne or sth like that. If someone overcomes this thing, and confirms it's there, that would be good, otherwise I want a patch.
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:30 am
twobells
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Her father's house is the one in the center of the village (given that she's the leader's daughter). The one where on the one side of the house is the huge altar (which is not usable in the demo), and on the other -> the huge useless room, with a further flight of stairs to the right, that lead to the father's room, where you find the helmet for one of the quests. As far as I remember from last years demo, the girl's room is on the flight of stairs that are immediately to the NW of the position they appear in the father's room. But I cannot enter that new flight of stairs, and am imminently send back to the huge useless room with the throne or sth like that. If someone overcomes this thing, and confirms it's there, that would be good, otherwise I want a patch.

Is last year's demo still available?
Sounds like it's far more complete than this one!

tb

ps: btw, when is the game actually out? I will definitely buy even if i have to rename all the npc's to something I understand!
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:29 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

The game will be released on Oct 15th in the UK (and Europe, I think). No distribution deal that I know of for the US.

I'm afraid I didn't know you could rest (there's no reference to it in any of the Preview material I was sent), so I wasn't watching for it, especially since health regenerates. Not sure if that makes me unobservant or not.
Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:08 am
corwin

Thanks Lady A. I'll take another look for you. Still VERY undecided on this game. Dhruin, have we done a preview or anything on this? I don't remember seeing anything,

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:46 pm
twobells
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Thanks Lady A. I'll take another look for you. Still VERY undecided on this game. Dhruin, have we done a preview or anything on this? I don't remember seeing anything,

Well in comparison I think it walks all over KULT which received a warm welcome from the RPGDOT team.
The only real fault i could find is within myself, let me explain; I am finding it very difficult to discern different NPC's as their names all look alike (their NAMES, their NAMES) no discrimination intended.

It has a superb item/weapon/armour/medicine creation engine beautiful graphics and the soundtrack and singing evokes the far east and in particular China very well.
IMHO their are too few oriental-based rpg's (a great favourite of mine being Origin's WINDWALKER) and this will be a welcome addition.

twobells
Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:06 pm
Dhruin

@corwin - I did a preview here:

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1057

The publisher was late getting the material to me and we had agreed to do a giveaway ending on the game's release (Oct 15th), so I really had to rush, unfortunately. Not my best work but hopefully still of some use.

@twobells, Asian settings simply don't do anything for me (no particular reason, just personal taste), so that's part of the reason I liked Kult more. I was also given the full Kult code and enough time to explore it whereas I was given limited code and limited time with Seal of Evil. Kult is also better than the demo shows IMO.

Having said that, I really warmed to SoE. The elemental and crafting systems are excellent but it's hard to judge the quality of the writing and quests from little I've seen. I look forward to playing more.

You're not the only one who is struggling with the names...that was a real problem for me. The name simply don';t stay in my head!
Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:47 am
corwin

Thanks for the link Dhruin; I agree with your comments. If I can pick it up cheaply, I'll probably get it, but I wouldn't pay full price. Just hasn't grabbed me, like Kult did. Yeah, the names are totally forgetable for me too. While I have a lot of Chinese friends, their culture is still quite foreign to me and I think that makes really getting into the game quite difficult.

Post Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:46 am
twobells
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bad News-release Seems Delayed

Well, the 15th has come and gone with no SEAL OF EVIL, the publisher's press offcie only seems to have a mobile # which always reverts to voicemail so i can't seem to get to grips with a updated release date, so that as they say is that........

However, what is odd is that some e-stores are offering the game on sale now with the moniker 'out now', so it's anyone's guess as to the facts.

tb
Post Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:15 pm
Dhruin

I have contact with the publisher, although I imagine I will have to wait until next week for the answer.
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:31 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Demo update - I finally managed to find the CD I had burned with last years Seal of Evil demo and just ran it to see if I can find the resting place for the heroine so that the plot in the demo can advance. And it turned out to be right where I prevously wrote, If you allow me to quote myself :
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona

Her father's house is the one in the center of the village (given that she's the leader's daughter). The one where on the one side of the house is the huge altar (which is not usable in the demo), and on the other -> the huge useless room, with a further flight of stairs to the right, that lead to the father's room, where you find the helmet for one of the quests. As far as I remember from last years demo, the girl's room is on the flight of stairs that are immediately to the NW of the position they appear in the father's room.

For the sake of comparison (I did not play the new demo, I just ran the beginning of it, and I have not played the old demo again, just ran the beginning of it, although for obvious reasons I got a little further) the old demo has advantages over the more recent version
- the voice acting - although in Chineese with english subtitles (in the form of text boxes as seen in the new version) is far better than the s**t that GMX Media is surving us - the Qin General sounds like one, rather than the imbecile we see in the new demo, the lead heroine sounds more ... heroic? and just right, rather than the little girl, and so goes for the 2nd playble character (in the old demo he sounds like a tough fighter rather than the new mindless killing mashine). The Uncle and the other Qin character from the opening cut scene sound more or less good in both versions. More demo characters I cannot compare (the Leader of the Village, his wife, son, etc from other cut scenes) I cannot compare, as for some unknown reason GMX Media decided to cut the demo at that place, although it is with the same size, as far as I have seen (in sheer terms of HDD space).
- the english translation from the old versions sounds better to me. I am no expert, or actually in possession of any knoledge in Chineese, but it just feels better. Anyway, I may be mistaken, so I'll run it again later, and have an excerp from both so I can compare it more throughly.
On the other hand, as last year's version was an earlier one, it has some drawbacks, most major is the obvious optimization of the game itself, some minor bugs, and incorrect visualization of the English characters (the letters in the subtitles).
Overall, I doubt that I will ever bother to get the english version, although I did find the game quite enjoyable - it has a more intriguing storyline (just think of Hero, although not that simplistic), a better character developing system than Kult for example (I know it is not good to make a comparison with exactly that title, but that's inevitable, as Kult is the only major RPG that was released recently, very similar to Divine Divinity as far as I have seen DD - just the demo, while waiting for the full game to reach me), and a fully controllable party (something I very much enjoy in games, in this aspect the game is related to Baldur's Gate and the other games of the Infinity engine series, as well as Temple of Elemental Evil, although not entirely as good). The combat is also quite enjoyable, unlike again Kult (the combat there is close to terrible and reminds me of my all-time favorite for worse combat Lionheart. The combat of SoE is more Diablo and Sacred like, which I think is pretty good.)
I would ask Dhuin if he can contact the publisher and try to find out why did they cut the rest of the story line in the demo in such a horrible way. That is a completely bad marketing decision - as already seen on the forums, many people began disliking the game by not finding enough content in the demo.
Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:41 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I have managed to give the wine to "wots-is-name".

He was in his house (previously empty) which I visited as I had no other apparent quests to finish (end of demo ?).

Whether he reappears after a certain time or after a certain quest, I am not so sure.

Now, I do like this game rather a lot. I prefer it much more than Kult. I dont mind the oriental names, but they are a bugger to remember. It has some very nice touches and I will be buying it when it appears.....although GAME havent heard of it yet.

Regards,

Hex
Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:23 pm
Dhruin

Just in case anyone missed the newsbit, GMX tell me the 29th.
Post Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:04 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next