Members
Usergroups
What's wrong with first-person view?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
HolyWarrior

What's wrong with first-person view?

I've seen several here dis Wizardry 8 for no other reason than it uses first-person view. What is your problem with that? First-person puts you into the action, top-down looks like a tabletop game.
I grew up with Might & Magic, so to me first-person is the way to go.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:14 am

Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

To me, first and third person view both have their advantages. In some games, first person allows you to see more in front of you and eventually lets you control your combat more efficiently, while third person view allows you to see your surrounding better, and is good for fighting when surrounded by enemies.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:47 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

It really depends on the game. Baldur's Gate or Fallout are great examples of isometric-type games. On the other hand, playing Morrowind in 1st person was great. I think 1st person is better, because it is more immersive, you feel like you're "inside" the game. Still, isometric works great too, especially in games where you can have a big party following you.

3rd person for RPGs, don't know about that. Gothic's 3rd person made me nauseous at times... In Morrowind, I really didn't use 3rd person for anything, except marvelling my character

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:00 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I think first person is great when you don't have a party. I didn't like it in Wizardry 8 because you couldn't see your party even if you looked around. I seemed like you should have been able to see them though... it was kind of creepy. The same was true for M&M IX... "Why can't I see them!", it messes up my immersion.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:40 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

For now I favor third person because first person does not allow me enough visibility. In real life first person is great because I have a wider field of view allowed with a game, and I can quickly glance around and get a good sense of my surroundings. Currently monitors are too restrictive in this aspect with first person. Third person allows a better awareness of your arroundings, yet is less realistic. In the long-run I hope to see first person develop to meet these limitations, and then become the standard.

-vaticide
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:56 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

In a game with some type of "targeting" ability, 3rd person is great, because you get periphial vision, which is something you don't get in 1st person.

But, in a game like Morrowind, that has no targeting, then 3rd person combat is useless unless your pure melee.

Games like Gothic, Blade of Darkness and so forth, they have a "target" feature that allows you to hit them with ranged weaponry without the use of a crosshair.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:53 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

To me first person is the best. It's the only way I feel immersed in a game, me and my character are seeing the same world through the same pair of eyes. Also, I just can't relate to a character I'm seeing from the roof.
Besides, sooner or later Virtual Reality will be available and just imagine putting a pair of glasses that allows you to see the game world just like you see it in real life: all around 360 deg of vision. I can't imagine a more immersive experience, and other than first person just won't cut it.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:35 am
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

First person is the way to go, but i'm saying this only cause i hate/dislike 3rd person shitt... ahem shooters. (pure adventures are ok though)
In fps you see what you see, you move like you'd move in real life, you get "sucked in" the game world. Thats immersion. In 3rd person it's like an interactive movie. Isometric is whole other ballgame (JA2/Fallout(s) etc.).
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:59 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Before playing Gothic I didn't like third person view at all. After playing it I even tried to play Morrowind in third person, but it turned out to be impossible. Not only that I ran like a madman into walls, it was also impossible to aim my bow.

Besides, I like ALL views!
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:31 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

I am waiting for the revolutionary 2d-person RPG. Rumors about this have been floating around for years...

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:40 pm

it have to say that first person would be crazy in an online role for sure youd have no idea where an attack comes from or where to turn. By then way to late your dead. Also in wizardry 8 i cant stand that you get attacked all the time from things you cant even see half the time cause the view in first is straight ahead and teh map tells you there there but you cant do anything about it but walk right into them. id like to see a nice game with either views and perhaps this 2 person would be a nice change
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:55 am

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hm, no idea where an attack comes from? They kind of solved that problem for the first time in Wolfenstein3D (the granddaddy of all shooters), and in shooters life usually is even shorter than in RPGs. They had this mug in your HUD always looking in t he direction of the attack... and with good sound it will even be easier to find out.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:16 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

you are right, Jaz. (as always)

i like 1st person view, because it gives me the feeling, that i am IN the party looking through the party members eyes. You don't see, what is happening around the next corner, maybe you hear something, you can feel the fear, when stepping into the unknown.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:48 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

While I have a slight preference for ist person due to the immersion level it creates, I don't mind 3rd either. I think Morrowind plays better in first than third, but the great thing with that game, is the ability to switch perspective. Hopefully that will become the norm in RPG's, so everyone will be happy.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:08 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

In my personal opinion, I neither like better 1st or 3rd person, or even isometric view. What I like is a view that is appropraite to the type of game that is presented. It would be silly for me to say that I like 1st person best.
Try to imagine playing Baldur's Gate with a 1st or even 3rd person view in 3D. Oh, yes it would look cool, but it wouldn't work with the type of strategic battles you were pitched in. The immersiveness came from the story and the conversations in that game. The isometric view was perfect.
On the other hand, could you imagine playing MW in an isometric view? No, because the game was designed to be played in first person, and is great at it, and the immersiveness partially comes through by putting you in your character's view point.
As for the question if 1st or 3rd person is best, I think it's largely a question of personal taste. I like 3rd best because I like to see my character. Heck, I've been brought up with games that always used to show me who I was (Ultima series, BG series, Planescape, etc.). But sometimes I like to look through the eyes of my avatar. But I don'T find one more immersive than the other.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:46 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next