Install locks up after install SATA Raid
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Install locks up after install SATA Raid

I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for most of the day without any luck. Here is the sitatuation:

I had previously installed Gothic II without any problems. Recently I upgraded my PC with two Serial ATA drives that I had Raided together using the onboard SATA raid of my Asus P4S8X motherboard.

After rebuilding the OS, and installing various software without any problems, I finaly decide I need to re-install my G2 Gold Edition again. Heres what happened:

First time I tried to install the game, it got to the install screen, I chose a directory to install to and clicked start. Then this message came up:

quote:
Gothic II konnte nicht erfolgreich installiert werden, da keine Original-CD gefunden werden konnte.

Bitte stellen Sie sicher, daß zur Installation die Original Speil-CD (CD1) eingelegt ist. Falls der PC über mehrere CD/DVD-Laufwerke verfügt, beenden sie bitte den Installer, legen die CD1 in ein anderes CD/DVD-Laufwerk und starten die Installation von dort.

Bitte stellen sie auch sicher, daß aktuelle Treiber für Mainboard und IDE-Controller installiert sind.

I got that translated and its just telling me I need to have CD1 inserted into the drive and make sure all my IDE drivers etc are up to date. Well the "Speil CD" was in the drive, its the disc that had autorun to bring up that screen in the first place.

Now the situation gets even more bizarre. If I try to install the game again, it locks up as soon as I click the install menu choice on the autorun screen. The installer doesnt even appear. The system seems semi-locked up, e.g. I cant open any System Windows such as Display Properties or Task Manager, but I can navigate "My Computer" etc. I have no idea if any of that is relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.

The only way to get out of this locked up state is to eject the CD, which gives an error message and closes the installer. Its not even possible to "End Task" because the Task Manager wont appear.

I have tried installing the game from Multiple CD drives and it acts the same in all of them. I also did a full maintenance check on my PC (Checked and updated all drivers, did a registry clean, defraged the hard drive, removed all references of JoWood, Pirhana Bytes or Gothic from the Registry) and still no luck.

I also tried disabling all System Processes that I didnt need to install the game, and also any TSR programs I had running, but again, no luck.

I also tried copying the entire Gothic 2 "Spel CD" to my hard drive and run it from there, but I got the same situation as when I first installed the CD (Which is expected since it probably thought I was trying to bypass the CD's copy protection).

The only thing I can think of is that somehow my new SATA Raid setup has caused a conflict with the Gothic 2 Copy Protection. I have no idea how to get around this...

I dont hold out any luck that anyone has any suggestions, but if someone can think of something, I would appreciate it. I am all thunked out
Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:54 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Chekote,

Looks like the installer can "see" the other cd-rom/dvd drives, only a long shot but maybe detatch all data cables from other dvd-type drives and have only one cd-rom type drive? - just to try.

good luck.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:55 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I disconnected the other DVD drive and it seemed to get a little further, but after copying just a few files, the exact same message appeard.
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:04 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Chekote,
sorry for the delay, just about managed to log in!!!

You disconnected the "other" dvd drive? - so you are installing from a dvd drive - yes? - do you not have access to a spare/borrowed normal "cd-rom" drive? - this is a notorious known prob' - even 'Nico-de" admitted this
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:21 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I dont have access to one I'm afraid. I guess I will try and hunt one down.

Its bizarre though that I would have no problems installing the game with the exact same drive until I setup the SATA raid...
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:16 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What exactly is the known problem?
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:21 pm