Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Morrowind might have problems with +256 MB RAM systems !!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
p0rnflake
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Morrowind might have problems with +256 MB RAM systems !!

Was browsing through the official MW forums and found a thread by a guy who's tried EVERYTHING to make the game run proberly. After trying different Windows version, driver revisions ect. he tried pulling out one of his RAM sticks and playing the game with 256 MB instead og 512 MB !

The result !

quote:
Game runs flawlessly at 1600x1200 with full shadows, pixeling, and 3d sound.

Weird thing is that the RAM stick is flawless - only Morrowind has issues with it !

Read the entire thread here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=402294&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:56 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

This is not my experience - here the game runs perfect with 512 MB RAM.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 8:07 am
Tandar

I've only got 256 DDR and I can't run that high without major choppines. This in on a P4 1.6 w/ GF4 Ti4600. I run in 800x600 with shadows off and view distance to about half and have acceptable FPS. I think they could be better, but I can manage for now.

I think the guy in the other post either had a bad stick of memory and didn't know it. Maybe nothing else he had had really used that much memory before. He did say it was a fairly new system. Or, it's possible it could have be two different brands of memory. Different brands = different quality which could cause problems. I've seen it before.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:44 am

Re: Morrowind might have problems with +256 MB RAM systems !

quote:
Originally posted by p0rnflake
Was browsing through the official MW forums and found a thread by a guy who's tried EVERYTHING to make the game run proberly. After trying different Windows version, driver revisions ect. he tried pulling out one of his RAM sticks and playing the game with 256 MB instead og 512 MB !

The result !

quote:
Game runs flawlessly at 1600x1200 with full shadows, pixeling, and 3d sound.

Weird thing is that the RAM stick is flawless - only Morrowind has issues with it !

Read the entire thread here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=402294&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

yeah well he had an "broken" ram capsle. I myself I read the "WHOLE" post
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:49 pm

Cuular

Runs fine on WinXP with 768MB DDR dram.

I am running on the stock WinXp install, no patches on an NFORCE chipset based mother board, with 768MB ram with no problems.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 8:28 pm

Joey999
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Tandar (or anyone else who knows),

In reference to different RAM brands:

I had 256, but bought another 256 at the same time I bought the game. It's a different brand. After I installed it, my machine wouldn't recognize it (still said I had 256). After rearranging the sticks in several different slots, I finally got Windows to recognize it. Here's my only concern:

If I run Norton System Works, and do a test on the memory, it says it's bad. BOTH of them test OK if I take the other one out. It only fails the test with both of them in. However, I've had no problems at all running the game or with Windows itself. No problems at all.

Is Norton a reliable test, or could this indeed be an issue with the diferent brands? I think (HOPE) I still have a couple of days left to return the new stick. I can still get a matching one somewhere else.

By the way, what's the deal with "registered" RAM? What does that mean? I'd be willing to pay extra if it's a better choice. Sorry if this is off-topic.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 8:43 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I wouldn't trust Norten to test memory. I've run into the same probelm, a single stick will test fine, but any combination of multiple sticks (regardless of manufacture, timings, speed, or capacity) will test bad.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:46 pm
Darin O'Heath
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cheap Ram

After working as an IT and by managing a computer store where I did most of the repairs, I learned the hard way that cheap ram is not worth it. I can't count the number of times replacing cheap generic ram helped out problems. Of course I tried ripping our motherboards and video cards (etc) alot before I learned that cheap ram really isn't meant to work balls to the wall. It's great if you are just doing business stuff, but there is alot of stuff going on in a game like Morrowind that will push all your components to the max. So I ask the question, do you really want to go generic with your ram? I only buy ram from places like Micron / Crucial. I have never encountered any crashes in Morrowind and it runs smooth for me. Quality ram, even though you may pay 20-30% more for the same stick, really does make a huge difference in the stability (and ability) of your PC.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 11:52 am
Uttoxeter

Same trouble with Norton

I had a similar thing happen with Norton Utilities saying my new 256MB module was bad. I was sure it wasn't because it was from a quality manufacturer - so I downloaded a little freeware prog called Memtest which told me everything was fine, which I guess I already knew!

You can get it here:
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html
Post Thu May 16, 2002 12:05 pm

Tandar

Joey, I am by no means an expert. I did server hardware support for three years though (a long time ago in a support center far, far away )and by far, one of the most common source of problems was different brands of memory being installed. I learned the hard way too... spent hours working on a problem, believing the memory tests when they found no problems with the memory, but then founding out if only the same brand of memory was installed, the problem dissappeared. These days, memory is always the first place I look when I have problem (or others ask me about their problems) where the source is not immediately apparent.

I can second the statement about it being worth extra money to get the best memory. I personally use Crucial and have never had a problem with it.

Maybe someone here more knowledgeble than me can explain why different brands can sometimes be incaompatible.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 5:39 pm

Immacolata
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Agree

Memory is the big evil scourge of many an unstable system. By far the most difficult component to test, and often the most forgotten. I had a bad 128 meg stick that I tested with some very good program. Once I threw it out and put in 2 identical 256 meg sticks, everything worked like a charm.

So yes, make sure to buy very good quality memory, and always try to get identical sticks.

I think the incompatibilites stems from synchronization problems between the two different sticks.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:22 pm