playing the stealth class
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

playing the stealth class

After one day of playing an assisin I have fome of with this idea of how to play a stealth class. Sneak is by far the most valuable skill you can possibly have. With a successful sneak doing critical damage I can't see a combat class doing more damage than that. I am not good enough yet to complete some of the thief quests only because my sneak skill is not that good yet. I have been putting more effort into short blade, which I need to lay off just a bit to get my security (another valuable skill with traps and nice goodies) marksman (arrows cost alot to me right now so this skill is a slow mover) and alchemy up ( I am an assisan so of course making nice little posions is a plus)

I am guessing from the book that just consuming lots of ingredients is how I am going to get my alchemy skill up in the lower stages. Is this true.

I am also noticing that chitlin is like the best starter armour to have with the AC and the price (great for a light armour stealth class)

Do I just jump around off of stairs and stuff to get my acrobatic skill up, because it is barely moving. (I am still trying to figure out why that is a primary skill since I haven't really been required to use it yet, but I am still in the noobie zone)

Just as a comment becarefull wondering around over hills because I ran into some mobs that ripped me a new one.

One last question.....How the f**k am I supposed to know how close a mob is to dieing. I was fist fighting some noble for some quest and I had no idea if I was even phasing him. I was fighting for like 30 minutes before my computer crapped on me ruining like 20pt. gain in hand-to-hand. I was so freakin pissed.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:09 pm

I am playing an assassin character, therefore feeling the frustration you are as well. Here's a little synopsis of my playing experience so far with the game. I orginally started a character *only* to test video settings and such for what would be my main character, an assassin. Well the first character I chose was an antithesis of stealth, an Orc Barbarian I just quickly rolled up to mess around with settings. Well, after starting off in the first town, stealing an axe and heading off nito the wild blue yonder, I marvelled at the graphics and messed with the settings to my desire. After getting it just right, the game looking good, I went off to *test* combat and began chopping up rats, squibs, fish, whatever you name it. Hell at level 1, I got lost in the badlands during some ashstorm and was assaulted by a cliff racer which I killed as well. Well, having a blast with combat I stayed ni the badlands for 2 hours just exploring, and sure enough, making level 3 ni no time from combat alone. Had a total blast too killing stuff, but alas my *main* character was calling me, the original stealth based assassin-type.

Well after rolling him up, I noticed an immediate difference. I was able to carry jack squat before I became encumbered (couldn't move) and fights were far more difficult (for obvious reasons), but more importantly, I couldn't find a use for stealth. I was determined to play more to find out more, esp. about alchemy and such just to give it a chance. Well after only 6+ hours, it seems stealth is a skill that prolly needs to be very high to be effective. The problem though, is in order to raise stealth, I wonder if you have to be using it all the time. If this is the case, I'm gonna die of lethargy since the move rate is a snails pace. Secondly, how does one pickpocket in this game? Hell if I know, but it is probably obvious, can't see the trees for the forest and all that.

Alchemy seems to be a whole game in and of itself, since you need the proper alembic materials first in order to even attempt to make potions and such. Here I was trying to make stuff or gain skill just by eating plants and all that, which I never did mind you. I wonder if there is a potion you can make or buy of poison that one may use on their blades. Having an assassin with no way to poison their blade would dissapoint me I think.

So, after playing my assassin for twice as long as my orc, I kind of miss the barbarian, and sheer brute force he had. Alas, his save game is gone, and all hope to play him again are lost, but the difference in classes in the game seems to be as stark as night and day. The assassin grabbed and carried only that which he could use or was small enough to pocket. The amount of loot he left behind was enourmous simply because he couldn't carry it. I need some serious tips on stealth, and what it seriously does. Does attacking while stealth *really* mean you backstab or do more damage? I can't seem to see it. How does one pickpocket? Is there a way to use alchemy to make poisons to use on weapons? Anyone playing an assassin type have any tips for the trade? Thanks all in advance and sorry about the length of this post
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:44 pm

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

stealth

I can atleast answer some of you questions. I never tried a combat class so I can't talk much about hack and slash. I usually sell all my items before I become encumbered anyways, so no problem there. You know you are doing a backstab by steaking up behind them, and if the stealth icon is still on right when you get up to them and hold down the F button while sneaking up on them (atleast this is how I do it) I let go right behind them and you will see a message that says critical damage which means you just did 4x damage and practically kills them in one hit. stealth skill is a slow mover compared to short blade and light armour but I know is will be rocking later on.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:29 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

pick pocket

oh yeah sorry bout the last question. If you would of read the book, you will see that you have sneak going on then from behind them with there name is highlighted you press the action (spacebar) and you will see what they are carrying (based on your sneak skill) and then can attempt to take the item. I have yet to be successfull though on taking an item.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:32 pm
Warchild

Wanted to give ya a little tip for some free arrows. check out the peligad(not sure how its spelled, the town right next to the first one). there is a shopkeeper not keepin a very good eye on his treasure. i easily got 300 arrows with 15 sneak skill.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:23 pm

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

tks

Thanks for the tip on free arrows. I am getting ready to start sneaking and stealing today when I get out of work.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:05 pm