The Bard's Tale - yes or no
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

The Bard's Tale - yes or no

The Bard's Tale (for PC) is out here in my country. I read several reviews and I'm not sure whether buy it or not.

It seems to be decent game with good humour in it. Does (did) anyone here play it? Please share you thoughts.

Thanks
Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:58 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Again try the newest demo.

I've only tried the old demo, but it didn't have any help on how to do many things, so I'm not quite sure about this game. It has third person (god view) RTS game mechanics like Baldurs gate etc. ,but probably with strong CRPG elements like these similar games. But how good the CRPG part is, and how good the story is, the demo didn't give me enough impression about that to decide.

Reading from reviews, I would say it looks like a solid game, but not with a certain twist or two that makes it stand out from the others.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:43 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C
But how good the CRPG part is, and how good the story is, the demo didn't give me enough impression about that to decide.

Thanks for info Michael. I always try a demo when I'm not sure about a game.

But sometimes it's not enough and as I have my personal restriction "1 game for 4 months", I'm very careful when trying to choose the right one.

Therefor I'm seeking opinions of people playing the game. Apparently there's no one around here playing this game.
Post Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:46 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

This game has a good sense of humor and a pretty good story but I would compare the game mechanics to that of the Neverwinter Nights series. The graphics are fair This game is ok but it's not much of an RPG, but more like an action adventure. It reminds me a little bit of a game called Darkstone from years ago but without the polish, and much lighter on the RPG elements

You really don't have any inventory at all. If you pick up a 'better' weapon as the game sees it, it's equipped automatically. Don't expect a paper doll or an inventory where you can compare items and try out items to see which is best. Weapons and armor are automatically equipped when you find them. Also, when you find, say, a wolf hide or something similar it's automatically converted into coin. So basically there is NO inventory manipulation at all.

Leveling up is a little bit more in depth. You can pick skills and add to various characteristics like strength, agility, etc.

You have quests and a quest journal and map to help you out. The quest journal is similarly confusing to Morrowind's as you have people giving you quests and talking to you about the details, but when you go to the quest journal you can't access to dialogue or the detail, which makes it hard to clean up your quest log.

I'll be honest, I don't recommend The Bard's Tale; I just don't think it's that much fun. If you don't mind trying something a little older or less polished, I'd buy the new Geneforge, or if you want to bide your time until the next really good CRPG, check out an adventure like 'Return to Mysterious Island' (this was a very cool game in my opinion) or if you don't mind a little action try The Suffering. Psychonauts was also an incredibly artistic and VERY polished action/adventure like a first person Day of the Tentacle. Just a few suggestions unfortunately the pickings are slim right now for PC RPG's so I just offer up these suggestions for something to play. Good luck!
Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:05 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Dani, I'll be playing the game in the near future and likely writing the Dot review for it, but first I have to finish the Grimoire Beta. I'm in the home straight there, so shouldn't be much longer before I give it a spin.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:41 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Dani, I'll be playing the game in the near future and likely writing the Dot review for it, but first I have to finish the Grimoire Beta. I'm in the home straight there, so shouldn't be much longer before I give it a spin.

That's good. Your review might come out before I'll really think of buying this game. I'm still playing Morrowind + 2 expansions and I think it will take quite a while before I finish it.
Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:03 am
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Agree with Markus. I bought the game hoping for an rpg, yet it is very much adventure with the odd element of rpg in it. It is perhaps similar to ultima ascenison. Some good humerous scenes, but overall i was a little dissapointed.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:01 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I just picked up a copy cheap on eBay, so I'll chime in next week sometime when I have a chance to play.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:36 pm