Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Wizardry vs. M&M
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Which series is better in your opinion: Wizardry or Might & Magic?
Wizardry
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Might & Magic
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author Thread
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Wizardry vs. M&M

Take your pick.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:42 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Too broad a question- it depends on what parts of each series you look at. Voting based on the most recent installment of each series does M&M a serious disservice, since MM9 was such a POS.

I haven't played all the Wizardry's, so I can't be certain, but here's my thought. Compare the best releases of each series. I'd use Wiz8 and MM7. MM6 was a close 2nd for that series, but not quite enough for me. So my battle will be MM7 versus Wiz8.

I've spent more total hours on MM7 than any other game (several replays), and still call it my all-time favorite game. I played nothing but Wiz8 for 6 months straight (countless different parties). I think I like Wiz8 better, but it hasn't had the chance to stand the test of time. If, a year from now, I fire up Wiz8 again, it will take over my top spot; until then, I vote MM7.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:03 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I played most of Wiz games (maybe except for Wiz2 and Wiz7Gold - if gold makes it any different) + M&M 5,6,7,8. I tried M&M9 but I didn't like it very much, and I was playing another game at that time, which simply absorbed me... Wiz8 All in all, both series look good, but in my mind, Sirtech made an effort and presented a far better game in Wiz8, while 3DO failed in M&M9 in so many ways... M&M probably became very repetitive by now, dunno.

So my choice is Wizardry, but I have to admit that this choice is based mostly on my good impressions of Wiz7 and 8 comparing with M&M 8 and 9
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:48 am
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Maybe I should clarify why I presented this thread: I'm trying to decide which series I should pick up first from the store.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:32 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

*Really* hard to answer. First of all, early Wizardries (as well, as early M&M) look not very good. So if you don't like text-based games, I'd suggest going somewhere from M&M 5 and Wiz 7 (or Wiz7 Gold). Read some reviews on the net - this may help.

For M&M:
6 - http://www.cdmag.com/articles/011/183/might_and_magic6_review.html
7 - http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=mmvii
8 - http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=mm8
9 - see rpgdot reviews section, there is a nice one
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:05 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Quite honestly, you've probably got 2 or 3 very good games in each series. As long as you pick the good ones, you'll be quite happy with either series. I think I'd start with MM6, then MM7, then Wiz8.
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:10 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Wizardry!
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:14 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

The 8 wizardry games were actually released over 20 years. Six years between 7 and 8. They only vaguely resemble eachother.
During the wiz 7-8 period might and magic 6 7 8 came out. They were more up to date using a '3d' eye of the beholder type deal.

Of all of these games I personally would only play wizardry 8 nowadays when you compare them to what is available today. There is some great content in might and magic or wizardry 7 or earlier but odds are you wont force your way through them.

Most of these games are abandonware btw.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:13 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Neither Might & Magic nor the Wizardry (PC) series are Abandonware !

Good Might & Magic games: 2-7

2-3: you need moslo on modern computers

---

Good Wizardry Games: 4-8 (1-3 PC-Versions don't age good)

1-6 is hard to install on modern PCs (patches, moslo and luck are needed)

1-3, 5 are good to play as SNES Versions on SNES emulators. 4 only in Japanese.
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:06 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Picking up Wizardry 8 today--found it for 19.99 at Software Etc.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:10 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You're going to have a great deal of fun.

Join us over at the Wiz8 forum if you have any questions!
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:31 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Excellent choice!
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:46 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

No-one mentioned the M&M 4-5 World of Xeen combination. It was brilliant in its day. Six re-invented the franchise and then 7 gave us the fun card game. Each was special and different. Wiz 8 is an all time favourite too, but you can't really compare the games. I remember getting bored with Wiz 7 after I'd played it for 60-100 hours Bost series are excellent and worth buying.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:29 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

might and magic 1-6 and wizardry 1-6 are indeed available on common abandonware sites.

wizardry 1-4 are all so short this web page youre looking at is actually larger. Baiscally ascii and then throwing in a 20x20 picture of the monster youre fighting.

Great great games though but you have to add in 'in their day'. The wizardry games would be considered too difficult for todays gamers. Basically no saving in the dungeon and death was death.

A reinventing of older wizardry games is the shareware game mordor and mordor 2( and its been renamed to something else i cant remember)

But really waht youre asking I think is should you get wizardry 8 or might and magic 9, games that are for sale today? Wizardry 8 is very complete and polished compared to most rpgs, might and magic 9 is very uncomplete and unbalanced compared to most crpgs.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:44 am
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hi!,

I would go for M&M every time, I've just played M&M4&5 through completely in a couple o' weeks. At the moment I'm playing M&M7 again for about the 5th time since I bought it, M&M8 comes next.
I completed M&M9 a month ago. Incidentally M&M9 is far better than the reviews give it credit for, sure it has some annoyances but the patch you get made it so I did not have one single freeze or crash or anything like that during my whole gaming experience. M&M6 took up months of my time when it came out and M&M3 blew me away when it was launched, ah the isles of Terra!.

http://aw.localhost.ee/aw/category/5.html
Download any of the 1st 5 M&ms here.

As for Wizardry 8, pah!, don't get me started, played it for a good couple of weeks but there were too many things I didn't like, painfully slow combat, ie 20 minute battles. Very constricted overland areas. Too much SCi Fi, unfathomable puzzles. Sold it.
Post Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:57 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next