Members
Usergroups
Shadowbane first impressions @Gamespot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Shadowbane first impressions @Gamespot

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/shadowbane/news_6024081.html" target="_blank">Gamespot</a> has posted their first impressions of the newly started MMORPG Shadowbane today and here's a little of what they have to say:<blockquote><em>Like some other online RPGs, Shadowbane has a rather complicated interface that makes for a fairly steep learning curve. Some text-based tutorials are included to help you get acclimated to the game, but you'll need to wander around and experiment for a while before you'll get a good grasp of things. Regardless of which area of the gameworld you start in, an enemy-infested "newbie zone" shouldn't be far off. Here you can immediately begin fighting monsters and leveling your character. The combat is similar to that of other online RPGs, and it's initially very passive--you'll just toggle on the combat mode and sit back and watch. It won't be long before you reach the second experience level, but beyond that, you'll apparently need to make a considerable time investment to get your Shadowbane character to a high level. We saw a number of human players already having at it, trying to level up, although the game's world is not densely populated yet.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:47 pm
Sevia

My professional review of Shadowbane.

an enemy-infested "newbie zone" shouldn't be far off. Here you can immediately begin fighting monsters and leveling your character.

<Yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn>

The combat is similar to that of other online RPGs, and it's initially very passive--you'll just toggle on the combat mode and sit back and watch.

*snooore*

It won't be long before you reach the second experience level

but beyond that, you'll apparently need to make a considerable time investment to get your Shadowbane character to a high level.

Innovative!
Post Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:52 pm

Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

What a lame review. Took him prolly 2min to play and write it up.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:59 am
KAS
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Commitment to the Reader

I don't think it's the fault of the writer that the review is so boring. He's likely forced himself to sit through a few levels for the sake of completing his assignment, but there is one thing I was waiting to see but never found in the review. The game is terrible, from the bottom up, this game is one of the worst offerings on the market in the history of mmogs, and there isn't one real warning against this. Sometimes I wonder why reviewers bother when they're reluctant to let those who may be interested in the game know where the major faults are, rather than simply telling everyone what the game offers. Nothing he wrote about puts the game over any, this review could have been done for almost any mmog out there. As a reviewer, they should realize their spot as a middleman between the producers and the players in the game industry. If you can't find anything good to say, in this case tell the players, the readers why.

I've already gone over my own thoughts on the game in previous posts, with the bottom line being this is a fourth rate game that couldn't have held a candle to Meridian 59 back in the early mmog days.

KAS
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:59 am