X2 v1.4 Update
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

X2 v1.4 Update

Some info on v1.4 has been released. As they prepare to finalise the current iteration of X2 and start on the expansion, they've decided to make 1.4 an Update and not just a patch. This thread has the details. I'll jump the bug fixes and just post the cool new additions:

quote:
Game Updates

Now for the great stuff. Every game has AI these days. In 1.4 you will also experience the Artificial Life Engine (AL). What does this do? Well, it adds some more atmosphere and life to the universe. Never seen a TP liner going about it's business, ferrying passengers to and fro? Well, you will now.

Every wondered why a race with whom you are best buddies stands by whilst your freighters and stations are attacked and destroyed? Meet the new policing in the X Universe, the race Sector Patrols. And without giving too much away (we all like nice surprises!) there are a couple of other new things going on around you as well - for these you'll have to wait and see . And because Egosoft is being especially nice to you, if you are crazy and don't like the AL plugin, you can turn it off as well.

Other little tweaks include less notifications about enemy attacks on your property. Police licences will not now be lost when that 'stray shot' (yes officer, it was accidental) hits a friendly ship. Don't push your luck too far though. And as mentioned before, the AI will now certainly put up more of a fight than before . Lasertowers now defend themselves against missiles, are stronger, turn faster and are generally offering more bang for your buck, which should hopefully put them on more player's shopping lists and also create a new threat in the universe.

Strangely, some players seem to have built up large empires in the X universe. Now, you can manage it more easily. Filters in the 'Property Owned' menu have been added as follows:

- optional hull/shields indicator
- optional additional ship activity details
- filtering by ship type
- filtering by action
- filtering by status (e.g. under attack)
- filtering by homebase setting

For the factory owners out there, we have some new features in the station menus:

Adjust Settings Menu

- information about average price for all products and resources
- information about jumps per product (nearest jump at which the product can be sold at the given price)
- information about the suggested minimum selling price of the product to make profit (this depends of course on the the current resource price settings) - this one is my favourite
- price and jump settings will now update immediately in the product / resource lines whilst you are moving the price selector bar

Station Information Menu

- information about required resources per production cycle now included

Other Cool Additions

Scripts

There are several new scripts in update 1.4 (and maybe some more to follow), including:

- you've already enjoyed the Sector Trader. Galaxy Trader will take your TS just that little bit further - a whole lot further in fact if you want!!!
- improved station accountancy tools

Post Sat May 22, 2004 1:04 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Wow, thanks Dhruin, I'll have to get back to playing it again.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat May 22, 2004 1:47 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the final version release. My game is bugged up and I can't play anymore without tears. This may be the solution to get me back in the saddle with it.
Mark Twain
Post Sat May 22, 2004 5:46 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Looks like a great update. I had started X2 over when I finished Wiz8 a couple weeks ago, but didn't make much progress. Perhaps I'll fire up something else for a while and then come back to X2 once the update has arrived.

I see no mention of nerfing the TP class. I thought that had been threatened long ago. I wonder if it will happen or not.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat May 22, 2004 5:27 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

The TP nerf is happening ..... at least, their cargo size will be reduced from XL .

This doesn't bother me that much. Makes logical sense that a freighter should be the number one choice for hauling ... not a personnel transporter. The patch sounds great all-round.
Post Sat May 22, 2004 9:17 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Nerf TP?

If they do this I can't patch.. All my factories use TPs. I hope if they nerf them they give us some kinda option to convert them. I've got something like 80 TPs. Most of the stuff sounds like an enhancement to the game. I'm addicted to this thing. Had to build my own 25mw shield factory to help make shields form my TP's.
Post Sun May 23, 2004 8:51 am
Dhruin

All my facts use TPs too...but only a relatively small number carry XL freight, so it's no big deal to me.
Post Sun May 23, 2004 11:09 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I have to replace maybe 10 ships when the XL to L conversion comes along. It's not a big deal at all. I'll probably take those 10 ships and use them to crew three more factories.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon May 24, 2004 2:54 am