"Unusual" review on Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

"Unusual" review on Morrowind

Check this review at http://pcworld.idg.com.au/idg2.nsf/p/0007E3BA?OpenDocument&n=e&c=PC

I think if i want to criticize MW, i can find more bad points and legitimate weaknesses of that game than the author of this review.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:35 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Now, Ursula did a very bad review - and a bad one for her reputation. She states that there is no third person view in the game - that alone disqualifies her lines
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:52 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Another stupidity from her review:

"The main problem with Morrowind is that you can't save. If you're an ace gamer that's obviously no problem — you can sail through the easy stages with no need to obsessively save just in case your powers aren't quite as impressive as you thought and you end up dead. Unfortunately, this fate was repeatedly mine."

Gosh.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:54 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yeah, when i read her comments about that i thought she was joking.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:07 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

The whole review sounds like a bad April fools joke, too bad it's a few months late/early.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:12 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

One would think that the reviewer was beta testing instead of playing the finished product. I don't have a clue on what she is talking about. Sure, you can't save until you listen to the duties at the initial part of the game; but she mentions dying?? and not being able to save?? The very first time I played the game I tried jumping off the ship, I don't think you can do it, so I don't know how you can die before the save function of the game is operational. Sounds like someone has an axe to grind with Bethseda.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:23 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Be sure to check out my review of my mom's computer! It has very legitimate points about computers, if you know what i mean. You can find it at the 'unusual' review of morrowind in the news comments section. Its very comprehensive review! Go check it out! LOL
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:33 pm
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

wow.

"Any RPG requires a certain amount of inventory management, but the way it's handled in Morrowind is unwieldy. To pull up menus requires a right-click mouse action, and then you have to select anything you want to manipulate."

oh no!!! God forbid you have to SELECT anything you want to interact with!!!

"This hardly leads to speedy gameplay — to fight effectively you really need a single click to swap to the most appropriate weapon. "

all she had to do is look in the controls for that button that wips out/sheaths your weapon.

jeebus H crackers.
Post Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:21 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Write to the editor

I've emailed a request for the review to be pulled and replaced with something more accurate. If you want to contact pc world too, email addresses can be found [url=http://pcw.idg.com.au/idg2.nsf/AllPCW/58E0269B8A8EFDE24A256A6A0040EC9C!OpenDocument&NavArea=AboutPCWorld&SelectedCategoryName=Editorial%20Contacts]here[/url], namely:

and

Resist the temptation to flame! Be objective or they'll ignore you!
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:48 pm
Carpathian Bob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I always felt that the idea behind seeing through the eyes of the character and not through third person perspective was to create I heightened sense of immersion, of really being there. Something gaming has being striving for, at the behest of every gamer alive. I admit to using third person view to check out how cool I look, but that's only cause they didn't put mirrors in any rooms. Glass mirrors may be a modernish invention but ancient civilisations used highly polished bronze (read that in a book so I did!).

As to how to die early in the game, the only thing that springs to mind is after character generation you are encouraged to pick up a basic knife off the table in the next room. It is possible that she keeps attacking the people in the building which might get her killed.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:37 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Ursula Seymor's revised review

Ursula update her MW's review and the Editor of Australian PC World noted the mistake.

The thread on this at http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=863536&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=1&fpart=
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:36 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I guess this update is all we could expect but I really don't buy the explanation. Ursula's review was inadequate in almost every way.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:53 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

She done more review on hardware like digital cameras & such. That would explains much of it. I think she is not good at reviewing a games, and the review look like been done by someone who not regularly play pc games, let alone specific genre like CRPGs.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:37 am
Dhruin

Yes, I don't think games are her expertise, but I think her editor really should have realised this was an inadequate effort. PC World currently has the highest circulation of any computer magazine in Australia and one would expect high standards from such a large organisation.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:25 am
Pango
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It has to be a joke . Either that or she didn't read the manual. For example, she stated that you can't save. Well, you can save after you get your first assignment, but you can't save before that. Maybe she tried to save at the beginning and didn't try again.
And she complained about having to use the mouse to select items in inventory? How else are you going to do it? And seeing your char. in 3rd person is OK for a minute, but it's meant to play like a FPS, not Tomb Raider.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:40 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next