Non-multiplayer value?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Non-multiplayer value?

I noticed in the game description that Neverwinter Nights is a 80+ hour single player game. Has anyone tried the single player game yet and does that alone warrant the increased price (I noticed that the game is selling for a higher price than normal [if anything is really normal] games)?
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:18 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Single player is a blast. All the major NPCs I've run into have their own voices (always a plus) and looks. LIke BG2, there are quests around every corner... and after the journal nightmares of Morrowind, the journal is a work of art (though it's the same system they've used for years because it WORKS and others should take note... yes, I'm looking at you Bethesda soft...).

If you liked BG or BG2 I can't see you not liking NWN's single player. Is it worth the extra price? It depends... how badly do you want a new, good CRPG? If the answer is 'not another 10 bucks badly' then... no.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:27 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I don't think the length of the single player experience in NWN should be considered when looking at the heftier price. I believe that the reason it's more expensive (if a reason can be given at all!) is the multiplayer aspect. Considering that some MMORPGs sell their box for about $60 to $70 (that's Canadian dollars ) and then turn around and charge you almost $15 a month to play, I don't consider NWN that expensive since it will be free. And in my humble opinion the multiplayer aspect of NWN is the real appeal here.

I saw Warcraft 3 will cost about $90 CAD for the regular box, and over $100 for the collector's edition! How's that for extortion??
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:48 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

90? Gah! Methinks inflation has struct again... looks like the days of paying 60 or 70 CAD are over...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:03 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

heh! I here you, friend! But I may be wrong, or it may be a mistake, although I did see it pre-sold at a $54 US price at EB (I think) and a Future Shop pamphlet was advertising it for pre-sale at $89 CAD for the regular box versions... That's just sad really. I don't see a single reason why WCIII should cost that much...

EDIT: Although maybe Future Shop are smoking some mighty good stuff... I just saw they advertise NWN for $84 CAD, while I paid $70 for it at EB!!
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:34 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

The major reason I want this game is that in SP, you only control one character. That is always the major hassle for me in an RPG- controlling more than one character, and it's one of the reasons why I love Fallout and Fallout 2 so much.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:16 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Single player is very nice, very realistic. I waded my cleric into a less-friendly part of town and got mobbed and killed.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:40 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

So far so good in the SP, I'm praying that classes other than the Uber fighters or the Mega-Mages have a chance...So far my Monk seems to be surviving..*Crosses toes*

Used to be $60 Cdn would get you a Computer game, it was part of the allure over the consoles...*sigh* $90 for Warcraft....thank got I don't like RTS
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Monks are probably the most powerful class in the game. I doubt you'll have a problem until you start running into damage reduction foes (in which case you use a magical kukri or something.)

Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:59 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

My feeling so far (just started one character) is that the single player is well worth the cost of the game. The multiplayer will only add to it.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:05 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

[quote="Gaijin"]So far so good in the SP, I'm praying that classes other than the Uber fighters or the Mega-Mages have a chance...So far my Monk seems to be surviving..*Crosses toes*
[quote]

It is quite hard with my rogue. I don't know how I'm going to get through the prisons now that I'm out of potions and traps. I haven't hired a goon yet, I'm sure that would help.

-vaticide
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:16 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

The ingame messages one gets does say that the default difficulty level DOES assume you will have assistants with you - so if you cannot make it through then it seems you have two options - hire assistants or lower the difficulty level.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:00 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Or pick up a level of fighter, slap some heavy armor on, and destroy.

With a rogue (and monk) the key is to keep maxing out your stealth skills. Sneak attack gets quite brutal quite quickly. The biggest problem I've seen is that you're not faster than the guys you sneak attack so you can't get far enough away to try and hide again. Of course, this is the way it works in 3e tabletop as well. You run 120, they run 120, you curse... unless they get intercepted by another character.

So getting a good old fashion fighter might be a good idea. In fact, it will make you terrifying as you can dance around to the side or back and sneak attack with your bow to your heart's content.

Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:22 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

As far as the prison goes, the Rogue Tomi is pretty damn good. He definately holds his own against the lesser prisoners...But no more spoilers.

Suffice to say, he saved my Monk a couple of times with that sneak attack
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:03 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

Hey, my elven ranger is a BLAST! i dont mean to say anything about monks, but i use my longbow till the guy gets close, just press a hotkey and switch to my duel wielded sword and dagger, and WHAM! and i love how you can use W,S,A,D to control your guy instead of the mouse, and i love the party system... well... more like partner... its a great game, well worth my 60 bucks

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:39 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next