Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Mods: always will be better than official campaigns?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Mods: always will be better than official campaigns?

Recently i just finished Lone Wolf chapters 1-2, and i have to say it's very well made mod. Although the mod maker didn't wrote the original story for Lone Wolf series, the in-game plot and sub-plots are well executed, or expertly tranformed the story into the game. The second chapter is really shine from the stories about betrayal, jealousy or envy and romance. We start to identifying with main character beside some actually memorable NPCs like Swift Blade, Garry Falcon, and White Sparrow. It quests or adventures are heavily story-driven, with quite many dialogs - although not as heavy as Planscape: Torment, but at the end that mod did made me felt like i'm playing a lite version of PT!.

The interesting thing is, NWN, same as what i heard and experienced with Morrowind, there always will be some people who did better in offering a role-playing adventures through mods or plug-ins than the games developer. I mean it was not coming from professional game maker, but from other gamers like ourself!. And it's free!. Now, will it be any impact on future CRPGs generally or modular CRPGs specifically?, or is it something that significant at all?.

http://www.gamespy.com/futureofgaming/mods/
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:35 pm
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

There are mods coming for NWN that I guarantee will blow away most retail games. The CODI project alone has encouraged me to not ditch my copy of NWN. I don't enjoy small episodic adventures so I'm not playing much now but I'm waiting to reinstall when some truly epic modules are released. I don't have time to continue with my own project at the moment but after I move and get settled I'll continue to build my AI routines and lifestyle scritps for my NWN NPC's.

The official campaign in NWN I find disgustingly boring and lacking in role playing options. I could never finish chapter 2 and I tried a few times.

Also mods and modders add things to a game the devs might have liked to add but ran out of time. I think it creates a really cool relationship between game devs and the modding community because we can share in the game on a totally new level. Bioware is the only company that truly supports it's fan base. No other game company even comes close to providing the level of community support that Bioware does. They are awesome awesome devs even if they did muck up the official campaign. They're dedication to their fan base is beyond impressive. They genuinely have a desire to communicate with their fans and incorporate ideas of the fans into their games.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:07 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I really like the official campaign!
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I thought it was a very fun romp. Probably a stonger emphasis on hack-n-slash than the devs intended, but that didn't trouble me. I think the big mistake they made was having the structure of chapter 2 identical to chapter 1 (start in a central location and collect a widget from each of the cardinal directions).
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:57 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

It will be interesting to see what Shadows of Undrentide brings. It's an out-sourced project, so it should bring a different approach to the table, but can it exceed the quality of fan-made projects?

As for the attention Bioware pays to it's fans, I totally agree; but bear in mind NWN's business model is based on mods unlike most games, so their contact with the community has to be better than other developers.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:25 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I guess it makes sense that the mod's are more fun than the official campaign (although I really enjoyed the first 4 chptrs). You have thousands of dedicated writers ... and SOME of them have to be good. Also the mods are quicker than the official campaign. For those of us with limited time this is good. It is tough to drag a story out over months, much nicer to have a story that can be completed in a few sessions.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:59 pm