Stealing the artifact piece from bandit cave
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
twistedweed
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Stealing the artifact piece from bandit cave

go buy bandit uniform from shop,then pick lock on chest with the finance book in it,wear uniform and long sword,no shield,then walk right past guards
Post Thu May 06, 2004 2:48 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Does that give you enough stealth? What is the req. on that lock? I haven't even bothered ...

Mike
Post Thu May 06, 2004 8:56 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Artifact piece - you mean Krahoz/Zohark, right? (can't remember which one is kept here). Why do you need the finance book?

I seem to rmember the chest with the finance book in it is very difficult to pick. I can't remember if the guy who stands right in front of it has the key, but I do remember that you can kill him with a poison cloud and nobody minds.

[SPOILERS AHEAD]

When I played as a thief, I stole the ring (Krahoz or Zohark) from the rebels & got away with it clean. If your stealth is high, it's pretty straightforward. Invisibilty spells are a big help. However, i really wanted to take the ring (I already had the other), go get the koltk, then come back and sneak it back into its chest before anyone noticed it was gone. But, afaik, the game will not allow you to do this - right after I stole the ring, as I left the secure area alarms went off, guards milled about, and the camp was aware that it had been stolen. They weren't hostile to me as nobody knew I'd taken it, and I was able to return it later (claiming I'd recovered it from the "real" thief ), but I thought it was a shame I couldn't pull this stunt without anyone ever knowing I'd done it.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 9:19 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by piln
you can kill him with a poison cloud and nobody minds.
Ahhh ... I've been so successfully whacking people with fireballs (one-hitting the Ysilides (sp?) that I don't tend to pre-cast much else ...

Thanks for the tip.

Mike
Post Fri May 07, 2004 12:00 am
twistedweed
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

just need the helmet

you just need the chain mail helm in that chest not sure if its same as one you get from anywhere else,but i didnt have one on me,so i then had the bandit uniform i walked right past them they thought i was one of them
Post Fri May 07, 2004 6:07 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by piln
you can kill him with a poison cloud and nobody minds.
OK, I have a save game from right in the camp, and want to give it a go ... so I'm standing right behind the guy, and cast it a few times, actually about 6, without him dying. Then I move where he can see me, and he attacks.

OK, I try it from right in front of him ... 1x cast he survives and everyone is hostile.

3x quick-cast and run to the other tent, I get poisoned, but he eventually dies. Cool ... nobody cares - it is one of those 'one hostile = all hostile' things, so long as didn't get the chance to go hostile before dying I'm OK.

Thanks again ... off for some more fun ...

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 11:51 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

You got him in the end, eh? It's been so long since I played, I forgot what a big difference casting skill makes to some spells' damage. With casting ~100, the poison cloud spell should kill most "normal" enemies/NPCs fairly quickly, with just one dose. They'll tend to panic and start wandering around (if they weren't already) when they get close to death. I guess if nobody sees you cast the spell, you should be safe from reprisals. When in doubt, I find turning invisible often helps

So, was it worthwhile? Did he have the key or anything else of use?
Post Fri May 07, 2004 1:35 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Obviously spoilerific ...

Spoiler:
When you talk to the Troll King (Pog) after doing that whole idol quest, you say that they should go into business for themselves. He says that he doesn't know anything about sales and finance.

That chest has a book about sales and finance ... you give it to him and the trolls will go off on their own. Then the Goblins hate you, so you visit them, and they try to kill you, and you get to loot all of their stuff.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 2:11 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Here is another spoiler on the book.

Spoiler:
That book in in Gary the bankers house. If you have gotten the key copied and are done with him on that quest, you can go in when he is home, close the door, kill him but make sure he doesn't get outside to call the guards, and take all his stuff.

Catching him in his home is the hard part.
Mark Twain
Post Fri May 07, 2004 4:51 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Hmmm .... I haven't yet seen him anywhere but in the bank - and my stealth skill is 14, so ...

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 5:34 pm