Help with Magic System!!!!! PLEASE!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
fuc847
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Help with Magic System!!!!! PLEASE!

I'm playing the demo right now (newer one), i think i figured out the magic system, but i CANT use the magic itself. Ok, I do the Mega magic gesture, and the game says "MEGA", ok now, nothing happens, i keep doing other ones, and they all just say the magic name but doesnt do anything. HOW DO I CAST THE MAGIC...?

Another thing, how am i suppose to know which magic does what..? all it says is the name of the magic like "Mega, Mesa etc." But I dunno what it does. Therefore, I dunno which magic i need to use to light up fires.

sorry, ONE more thing I've found the guard upstairs in a castle to tell me to tell King Axar (what was his name?) something, and that i need to go thru the goblin caves. Ok, so i end up at a bar/tavern, there's a door that i need a password to. How do i get the password? I've talked to everyone in the tavern, bought a beer, bet on the spinning thing.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:56 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't quite understand the magic system yet either, but I managed to light stuff by being near the thing that is lightable and by holding down both shift and ctrl keys while drawing the runes.

I kinda thought it was weird that I just had to be near the torches, but maybe it's just me.

I have no idea how to know what the spell does, maybe the manual explains it more.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:15 am
fuc847
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeh, but the demo didnt come with any documents or manuals
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:28 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I know, I just meant maybe the manual the full version comes with has more info on the magic system.

I have no idea what the runes mean/do, except that when I do the horizontal line followed by the sorta "U" shaped one it ingintes torches.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:43 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I cant figure out magic runes either. Some of the control mechanisms in Arx Fatalis are just WACKY. I might just uninstall this if i cant figure out how to do stuff. I mean, its not even intuitive. The graphics rock though

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:09 am
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

To the magic system

Sounds like Jowood didnīt do a particularily good job. Including some info the the magic system is what I would consider essential. Guess I as a player of the german version have to jump in.

First of all. The magic system basically is an enhanced Ultima rune system. Enhanced means, that you donīt need ingredients but you have to find the proper rune first. Casting bascically is a drawing of the proper runes (whoever has a PDA knows maybe what Iīm talking about the Palm Graffity is very similar in this regard). What does that mean. Every rune has a certain area where it works, if you find the Vitaé rune then you have a rune which goes in combination with others into the hitpoints. Drawing every rune takes some kind of experience just like with a PDA, first you have to learn to draw the rune then the system has to learn your handwriting of the rune. That means, that spells in the beginning fizzle a lot but the more you use a certain spell the easier it becomes to cast it.

If you open your spellbook you can see an overview of the runes you have, pressing on one rune shows you how to draw it. And pressing a combination shows you if you just discovered a spell or not (there are lots of undocumented spells which normally are more powerful than their documented counterparts, and often spells have antispells as well, some of them not documented)

For the demo following documented spells might be of use:

Level 1:
Mega Vista: Night Vision/Improved Vision
Aam Tar: Magic bolt
Aam Yok: Inflame a burnable material within the spells range
Nhi Yok: The counter spell to Aam yok, simply kills a burning flame

Guess those are the spells which might work with the runes you can find in the in the demo...
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:16 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Addition

I forgot, if you press the control key while casting you fill an empty spell slot with a prepared spell which you can release by pressing 1,2 or 3 depending on which slot you want to activate.

Iīm not sure which part the demo really resembles, but if it is the escape from the goblin prison section, there is an in game tutorial there which explains most of the controls (even the spell mechanism but not the spells except Aam Yok). Iīd propose not hit the escape key as soon as some text or dialog appears. The control scheme isnīt hard and its quite similar to the Underworlds, but you canīt play the game with the mouse and control key alone like most shooters.
[/code]
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:20 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Third

Sorry I guess I have to fill the whole thread myself. Finding the king, and the closed door.

a) Forget about the closed door now, itīll become very important at the second half of the game when the plot is unfolded. Its not essential to the demo

b) King Axa or whatever his name is, you have to find the king of the humans, there used to be a passage from the assaulted camp, but it is blocked, so you have to find another way to reach the city.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:29 pm
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

magic system...

Come on guys! This is one of the easiest magic systems to learn since The Summoning! Press and hold <ctrl>, draw the runes, release <ctrl> and that is it, spell cast! Look in your spellbook to see what spells you can cast with the runes you have available, and click on the rune in the book to see a demonstration of how to draw it. You can even click on the spell and it will put a reminder in the top right hand corner of the screen to show you the runes of the spell! To memorize a spell instead of casting it, hold <ctrl> <shift>, draw the runes, release <ctrl> do NOT release <shift> until you see the memorized spell icon. I have found about 5 spells that you could theoretically cast, unfortunately not high enough level in the demo, lol. I LOVE THE MAGIC SYSTEM! I feel like I am really casting spells, its quite a rush. Some other cool things I've found: there is a rock in the water near the dead guy with the regeneration ring, if you use the rock on a weapon, it makes the weapon glow! I assume it gives the weapon some kind of magical enhancement, but I havent figured out what yet... If you look over the parapet at the top of the stairs in the fortress (towards the door to the bar) you will see a glowing thingy and a scroll. I went under the ledge these items are hiding on and managed to mouselook/jump to grab them, it was difficult and I suspect you are NOT supposed to be able to get them this way... probly supposed to cast a telekinesis spell or something from the parapet of the fortress. Anyway, I cant identify the glowy thing, which turns out to be a ring, but the scroll is Fireball...
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:29 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Thanks for the explanation, guys! This game is really cool now

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:59 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

next addition

I made a small mistake, you can put spells into the slot by pressing shift and ctrl at the same time (instead of ctrl only). Pressing ctrl drawing the spell and releasing it starts the spell instantly only releases the spell instantly.
The slots are on the keys 1 2 3 (4 kills a running spell) or you can see the icons on the screen.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:05 am