Having a horrible time getting started in this game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Having a horrible time getting started in this game

I've posted on the official board,but nobody is taking pity on me.

I am desperately messed up in the first part of the game. I just can't seem to get the hang of this game.

I need to know the following:

The first time through the goblin area, am I allowed to kill any of the goblins? The reason I ask is that I have to go back to this area after I talk to the commander in the human area past the goblin area. I was told that I would not be attacked if I posed as a gem dealer, but I am getting attacked nonetheless.

I think this may be because I killed a couple of the goblins on my first trip through the goblin area. But I don't really know. I have to get a second set of papers in order to go on with the game, and I think they are in the room where the sleeping Goblin Lord is, but I can't get the papers because no matter how quiet I am he wakes up and kills me.

I cannot kill the Goblin Lords. They are just too powerful. So is there a way to go back into the goblin area without being attacked? If so, how?

Can anyone give me a blow-by-blow walkthrough of exactly what it is I am supposed to do from the moment I free my fellow prisoner on the lower level of the jail to the point where I present the two sets of papers to the Goblin?

I have played for endless hours and have gotten nowhere. I must have reloaded over a hundred times, and I am so frustrated I am going to blow a gasket. I actually feel sick (partly because starting the game up and loading seems to take forever in this game) I have never had such a horrible time getting started in a game. Because there are no healing potions around, I can't do the combat route (I have yet to kill a Goblin Lord and that is after about fifty tries) so there has to be another way.

Can anyone help me? THis looks like a good game, but I am at the point of putting my fist through the computer screen.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:52 am
Herbert_West
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My recommendation is to stop now. There is a high probability that you will run in to the missing priest near the end of the game which will break your ability to finish it anyway.

I would return it for any money you have spent as a broken piece of software.

Save the hours will will spend getting to that point and go out and have real life.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:20 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm not going to be so negative, although I agree it can be hard to get going.

Make sure you have patched to ver 1.15. You can definitely kill the goblins in your escape so I presume your problem is that you don't have the blank authorisation papers (which need to be signed) in the goblin lord's room. Did you put any points into combat in your character creation and have you picked up a reasonable weapon (I think I was using a club from one of the dead goblins at this point) ? With combat you just have to get the hang of holding the mouse button to get the maximum hit strength, running in for a hit and then running back while "charging" your next strike. If you get the timing right (and make sure you're hitting with max strength) they won't be able to get too many blows in.

There's a good walkthrough at RPGDot's hosted Arx site - see the menu on the left.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:30 am
Herbert_West
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, I must appologize for my misdirected negative remark above. I was not my self when I wrote that post.

What I mean to say is this:

While Arx Fatalis is an engaging game and does pull you in with great graphics and a cool magic system; you must be made aware that there is a horrible flaw in the logic tree that could possibly stop you from being able to finish the game. So, all I'm trying to say is that you need to be aware of that before you sink lots of time into it. This bug occurs right near the very end and so you won't know if you are going to hit it until it's too late. Obviously other people here have finished the game and so it's not a 100% guarante that you will hit the bug, but if you do.. Well, I don't know about you but if I were to read a good book only to find that the last two pages were missing I'd be pretty unhappy. ...and I am...
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:30 pm
julien roby@arkane studio
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The problem you're talking about is not a bug:
A few people didn't find the last priest at the end of the game because they have still not enchanted the final weapon.
But after doing that the cinematic with alia is played and the priest appears...

They are no known bug that can prevent you from finishing the game in 1.15 version.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:42 pm
Herbert_West
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I stand corrected.

Please disregard my statement about there being a bug with the missing priest.
The true bug exists in my inability to follow directions. ..and that makes me a tool.

My apologies to the good folks at Arcane Studios.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:14 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Fear not, Hagatha! Take another chance at this great game!

Only kill goblins that desperately stand in your way in the beginning, don't challenge the Goblin Lords just yet. Don't worry, you'll be able to go back and take revenge on them later on...
Then again there are several ways to overcome problems in the game depending on what type of character you are planning to play.
For instance at the point when you need to hand a signed gem dealer license to three goblin lords standing behind a portcullis you can do several things:
- Hand them the signed gem dealer license and pass (no combat involved)
- Stick your sword through the portcullis to hurt one of the Goblin Lords. This will make them angry, will open the gate and attack you (fair bit of combat is required to kill all three goblin lords so early on in the game)
- Hand them some money and that could also solve the problem (again no combat involved, let the money do the talking )

Anyway, I have just recently finished the game, but will definitely start again so let me know if you are still stuck and then I'll help you out with a step by step walkthrough of the first few areas...
...PS: I personally found that I was a little lost in the beginning too, but after you explore a few more areas and learn to use the teleports it all becomes simpler to navigate.
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:25 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

As a level 1 character, with 10 strength, I've killed every Goblin Lord without dieing once. They're not that tough. Just try to keep out of their reach as much as possible.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:04 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Wait until they're just about to take a swing at you, move back a little and immediately thrust your weapon at them. Works for most enemies.
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:29 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

OK. I'm going to take a deep breath and try this again.

Since I need to steal that set of papers, I'm gonna let that Goblin Lord have it. I have a short sword, and if I use the techniques described above I might be able to do it.

I did give my character a few strength and dexterity points, so it isn't that. I just don't have the hang of the combat, that's all.

The magic casting is fun, but I wish they had provided one offensive spell right at the start. Lighting torches is cool, but blasting goblins would be a heck of a lot more useful.

By the way, I spend rather a lot of time reading. Games are my other addiction. Since I don't drink, smoke or ingest other substances, I figure I'm allowed to have a couple of vices.

Thanks for the tips.

On I go! If I still can't do it, I'll just throw on Tribunal and go back to my Drow Spellsword in Morrowind. She don't get stopped by no stinkin' goblins.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:32 am