can't find any more life potions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
dreamer13
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

can't find any more life potions

I've gone through the potions I could buy from Maria and that guy in the rebel camp. I've tried making a potion with a lily pad, and only succeeded in 1 out of 4. So, where else in this game are more of these items? And how do you get a higher success rate with distilling?
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:04 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Sounds like you know how to use the still if you made one. You have to crush the pads into powder, put powder into empty bottle, then use that bottle to make potion. If you could do it once, then it should always work. Once you have the knowledge skill to do it, it will work. For other potions you need higher skill to make them, like mana and others. I suggest you save all the potions you can, and use food to heal as much as possible. Hope this is what you needed to know, if not post again.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:07 pm
dreamer13
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just got through the part of the game where I'm trying to get to the king in prison, and those Ylsides are very tough to fight. During the fight, it takes me an average of 4 life potions to kill those guys, and I've got a harm spell going the whole time. I'm a level 7, so I'm not high enough yet to do the negate magic or life drain.

I thought about retracing my path, and going through all the levels again trying to find all the lily pads, or restarting. Is there a way to increase your level faster so that I'm a higher level when I reach this spot again?

How do you tell what kind of character you're going to be when starting out? I don't remember words like mage, fighter or thief showing up - just numbers. The character building part at the beginning is not very clear to me.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:48 am
dreamer13
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have another question - how do you use food - quickly - during a fight to restore your health? Lets say - while fighting an Ylside. Health potions are available as 'h'.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:55 am
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

level 7 eh? are you ok with magic? use fireballs.. 2 fireballs usually kill off a ylside, unless you miss or have really weak fireballs..

It takes way too long to kill off anything other than a rat with a sword..

As far as having a hotkey for food is concerned, it's not worth it... you won't restore enough health with a few pies in time before the bald dude in front of you cuts open your throat and rescues the pies before they get to your stomach..

I've found it's easier to fight ylsides in closed spaces so that they can't move around much and you can force them to stay in front of you.. but maybe that's just me..

And btw, level 7 isn't exactly that bad you know.. i was level 7 when i got where you are.. i didn't get hit once by the ylsides in arx or in the castle.. the ylsides seem to be pure brute and no brain, so you gotta use that to your advantage

The only thing that pissed me off was that after killing off every ylside in arx and the castle without getting hit one, the cinematic shows ONE bloody ylside that's meant to be smart enough to clobber me from behind without me noticing.. AS IF lolz
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:55 am
Scrib
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Put two Harm spells on a a time- that doubles their damage before fighting an Ylside- gring s0me lilly pads and create some life potions, assign a hot key to them, and get a good weapon like a slayer blade or a battleaxe, and poison it, you should be able to get Ylside pretty easily this way. I was level seven like you when I ran into that area, used the above to get through OK. --- SJ
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:10 pm