Help for a Newbie
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Donut of Doom
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Help for a Newbie

I've just started Gothic, basically. I took the time to explore some of the area surrounding Khorinis, messed around for a while, and then decided become a Fire Mage. I'm a novice now, and I thought all of their fighting staves were pretty cool. I trained up to 20 in strength, and 30% in 2h fighting ability, and I've got 20 mana. I'm level 5 right now. Have I gimped my character? Any tips - mage-related or general - for a Gothic 2 newbie who feels overwhelmed at the sheer scope of Gothic 2 as compared to the original?

Any help is appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read the post. Have a nice day.
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:57 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

well, if i were you, i would stop training strenght now, and start learning mana anc circles... you have a good amount of strenghts and it's enough...
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:26 am
dragon-slaughter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

it also gets really expensive to improve strength and fighting abilities as a mage.
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:24 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Genesis
well, if i were you, i would stop training strenght now, and start learning mana anc circles... you have a good amount of strenghts and it's enough...

Heheh, I'm a mage and have 70 strenght...don't think I'll be needing more than that

If you gonna be a mage train none-magic skills BEFORE entering the monestary..
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:28 pm
Donut of Doom
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the help, everyone. What about 1-handers v. 2handers? Will using 2hs be a problem in the future?
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:42 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

As a mage, you won't be using your fighting skills much longer. Soon your magic will render it redundant. You should be saving as many learning points as consistent with survival. Doesn't matter which weapon type you use, just don't put a lot of points into it.

I'm working through as a mage at the moment, and didn't save as many LP as I should have; went in big for hunting skills and some weapons training. Some observations:

Magic in G2 is quite different LP-wise than in L1. You have to spend LP for a lot of things, even if it's usually just 5 LP a shot:

- learning to make runes (once only)
- advancing through the circles (5 LP each time?)
- each spell you learn -- this is MUCH harder than G1. You need ingredients, a scroll, 5 LP to learn the spell (and access to the mage that knows it), and a blank runestone (pretty rare). So you can't count on getting all the spells, at least in the early game.

If you're including alchemy (which seems logical -- you'll need to replenish mana, and you can conserve it for attacks if you can heal with potions), there are additional costs:
- 5 LP to learn about alchemy
- 5 more LP for each potion type you learn; advanced types are only available when you've learned more basic types, so you can't pick and choose

Since the alchemist will be able to use potions for permanent stat increases (at 5x the rate of raw plants), you don't need to use LP for those things. But I'm finding my mage chronically LP-poor. I expect that eventually the patient player will have enough for everything, but getting there is tough!
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:15 pm
Donut of Doom
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks a Million, Sri! That's exactly what I was looking for. Now I at least have some basic idea of where to go with my mage. And combat hasn't been much of a problem as a novice I can only throw two or three fireball scrolls at once, though, so I'll save my points for circles from now on. I got impatient, and started the Test of Fire yesterday, so I hope everything goes well. Thanks again.
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:19 pm