View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Can't even draw a bow... (BG2)

Hi all,

I'm starting out in BG2 and created an archer for the main character. I didn't want to spend all day playing with the dice rolls, so I left the strength at 14. I figured, it's above average... it would be fine. I picked up grand mastery in the long bow and proficiency with a scimitar.

Unfortunately, all of the bows that I've been finding in the first underground area are composite long bows. The goblins seem to be using them (what HAS the villain been feeding these goblins?) I can't use them due to low strength. Is it worth just giving up and starting over so that I can roll up an 18 strength, or are there plenty of decent non-composit longbows later on?
Post Mon May 27, 2002 6:35 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, I haven't been playing the game for awhile so I can't quite remember which bows are available later on but I guess there are a lot of non-composite bows.

But my advice since you just started the game is simply to restart and roll a higher score.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 10:58 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Don't worry about it too much. You can get strength enhancing items as you go that will push you to 18(00), 19, 20, 21, or even 22 (well... in Throne of Bhaal).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon May 27, 2002 7:08 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing that Shadows is a lonnng game, but I'm still looking forward to Throne of Bhall. I wonder how the character-transfer in Neverwinter Nights will work.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 7:01 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The said initially that you would be able to use your BG characters in NWN. Last thing I heard is that you won’t be able to use your old characters.

I think there were too many issues with converting power level characters to 3 edition rules. You’ll only be able to reach level 20 in NWN. That may chance later when a source book for handling levels above 20 is available.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 10:22 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The games are vastly different. Transferring was a pipe dream to begin with. Converting a dual class character from second edition to third is hellishly painful.

My level 17 fighter/18 necromancer that I played for years became a level 3 fighter/17 necromancer. The fact that he ended up almost as strong was little consolation for the appearance of 3/17 mocking a life of fighting then a shift to necromancy at middle age in a desperate attempt to find a way to stave off the effects of aging and become immortal...

SIngle classes transfer without problem. In fact, they transfer very well as you get to do a level by level character scheme for them. Finally your fighter who wanted to live in the woods and dabble in the arts of wizardry can exist. Multi and dual are the problems... and multi and dual are very core features of BG2. Plus... do you really want to jump in a new game at maximum level? Where's the fun?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue May 28, 2002 5:15 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Plus... do you really want to jump in a new game at maximum level? Where's the fun?

You’re absolutely right. I seem to recall Bioware mentioning that your character probably won’t reach higher than level 10 or so. Not much of a challenge for my mighty level 27 assassin.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 6:37 pm
Sparhawk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Time will reveal all

I picked a Ranger Archer also, I am in the TOB right now but I remember finding nothing but bows I could not use in Irenicus Lab before you emerge in Athanka.

You will find or be able to buy bows you can use very well, and later on in the game you will find girdles of strenth to help you further, where your at right now is just pretty bare bones until you start side-questing in the areas around Athanka.

Just play with what you have and don't spend too much gold on a bow, you will find better bows than you will ever be able to buy on your slain foe's bodies.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 1:14 am
Sparhawk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

HA HA, Yea Right!

Stealth, Your level 27 assasian would be dead before he knew what hit him if he came up against my Level 23 Ranger-Archer. That is why I invited 2 other Rangers to join in my party.

You may be able to pull of a backstab, but the second you could be seen, it would all over for him.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 1:21 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Don't you mock me!

Mark my words, friend. Watch the shadows.....
Post Wed May 29, 2002 7:33 pm
Sparhawk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It would be a very intresting fight, not a very long one for your Theif, but intresting none the less.

All kidding aside, how damage could your Theif inflict before your foe strikes back? (seriously, I want to know, I'm not just trying to be a smart a**)
Post Thu May 30, 2002 1:16 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

My elven fighter/thief typically pulled off backstabs for 140 or so damage. Then whirlwind attacked whatever was left over. Chunky bits a plenty.

Only things he couldn't kill before combat started were dragons, golems, undead and most mages after level 10 (damn you, stoneskin! damn you!!! ) Of course, most things in this game are dragons, golems, undead, and mages.

Still, back him up with a good wizard who could pierce the stoneskin and... *chunk* 'the party has gained 18,950 experience points'.

Post Thu May 30, 2002 4:19 am

Yes, Mages pose the biggest threat to my present party, that is why no matter what other enemy's are waiting to get a piece of me, all bows get pointed at the mage first, by then, my party can melee any other enemy's that have reached our position.

I more than likely used breech and pierce magic, then followed in with arrows, unless like most Lich battles, they cast protection from magic weapons.

140 for a backstab?!?! Wow, I don't think Imoen's level 9 Dragons Breath does that much damage.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:14 am

stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, you maybe right about the thief being in trouble after he has revealed himself.

That's the reason why he was backed up by a Necromancer, Fighter and a Half-orc Berserker (quite effective against those damn Mind-flayers) while I played through Shadows of Amn. Later on I added a Cleric as I needed some divine power.

I can’t remember doing a backstab as high as 140 but I have killed beholders with one strike.

I’m just being curious. What do you think of Clerics in BG? Mine mostly works as a first aid kit. I know turn undead can be powerful but I haven’t really used it that much.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 8:38 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Katana + 3 = 1d10 + 3
5 points in katana = +3 damage
22 Strength = + 10 or 11.... can't recall
backstab = x 5
two points into single weapon fighting = critical hit on 19, 20

1d10 + 16 = 26 max
x5 = 130 max
critical hit = 260 max

or if you want to go crazy nuts with backstabbing goodness
two weapon fighting = 4 attacks per round
improved haste = 8 attacks per round
assassinate = every attack in one round is turned to a backstab
8 x 130 = 1140 damage max

not including critical hits

fear the shadows, ranger boy. fear the shadows.

Post Thu May 30, 2002 12:22 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next