character editor?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - Spoilers

Author Thread
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

character editor?

okay, i blew it and now i want to change my character without restarting the sp game. i am playing a ranger/wizard & i choose the extend spell feat at the beginning of the game. but, i should have chosen the combat casting because it would be more useful for my character. does anyone know of a character editor that i could use to remove the extend speall feat and pick up the combat casting. i don't want to cheat...but this is really getting me down. you only get so many feats & i totally wasted one.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:27 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

You can allways go and play a halls of advanced training module and lower your character level and then raise it again. But I think that is considered cheating.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:01 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by DzD
You can allways go and play a halls of advanced training module and lower your character level and then raise it again. But I think that is considered cheating.

where do i go to find the "halls of advanced training" & how does it work? at this point i am not above dropping my character level. it might just save the sp game for me.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:57 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by txiabxyooj
quote:
Originally posted by DzD

where do i go to find the "halls of advanced training" & how does it work? at this point i am not above dropping my character level. it might just save the sp game for me.
You can join it in multiplayer. Be sure to bring YOUR character. If you haven't saved your character yet you better do it now. To save your char you press save character, next to save in the singleplayer. Then you open up multi player, look at the servers and the mudule name shoult be something like "The halls of advanced training". Then you join as your singleplayer char that you saved before. Talk to one of the dragons in the second room and decreas your level to the time you choosed your feat. Then talk to him again and raise it to the level you had before and choose your new feat.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:05 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

But DzD how does txia then insert the newly modified character into the campaign with out restarting the chapter?
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:35 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
But DzD how does txia then insert the newly modified character into the campaign with out restarting the chapter?
Ohh ****!

Didn't think of that...lets just hope he has just started a chapter.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:12 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

thanks dzd, but i don't think this will work. it sounds like there is no reasonable way to go about editing a feat without starting a new character. i guess this game is less forgiving of bad character choices than many others. i remember with diablo2 someone made a character editor that allowed you total control over all stats & skills. i used it more than once to revamp a bad choice. maybe someone will make one for NWN, but until then i am stuck with a lousy character.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:04 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Okay, I don't know how desperate you are, or how good at programing you are but....

1. Edit campaign so that there is a box, or building, or area on the floor, or person you talk to, that reduces your experience by enough to drop you under the level you want to reroll.

2. Edit campaign s.t there is a box etc that increases your experience by the amount you loose in step one.

3. Start, load game, enter box1, save, enter box2, save.

4. You can either leave the boxes (in case you need'em again) or go back, edit campaign and remove them.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:10 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i am not a programmer at all. actually, in many ways i am a computer retard. there is no way that i could figure out your suggestion. but thanks anyway.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:21 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Well, if you are truely frustrated you might find the excersion into the Aurora Tool set fun. I know that all of here would be willing to help ... I once found an "add experience point function", but had no idea what to do with it ... but I *know* one exists. Had I more time I found the function I would've started to mess around with the scripting (but we were leaving in 5 minutes).
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:24 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i horsed around with some of the edit commands and found that if you type in GiveXP then the number it gives you, big suprise, XP. but--here comes the big discovery--while playing aroud yesterday i found that i could enter a negative sign in front of this command and it will drop your XP; if you enter in enough negative XP your levels as well. so, if you enter in GiveXP -10000 it will drop you that many XP points, and possibly (depending on your level) drop your level. then, you can go in and enter GiveXP 10000 (or whatever) and earn your level back. it is a clunky way to go about this but it works.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:33 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

{smacks self on head}

You know, I should've thought of that! Be warned, however, that Val has hinted that using the cheat mode makes a character invalid for multiplayer mode ... so either verify that, or just don't expect to use it MP.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:39 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

yeah, my sp character is just a first try at a character. i am still learning what i like and don't like. the nice thing about a character editor is that it allows you to try out various combinations without having to play the game over and over.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:31 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

You might want to try this one out - it is called "The Halls of Advanced Training". http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1026158289894.shtml[/url] It allows you to do pretty mcuh anything with the character who you can then load into a module (self designed or downloaded) to test.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:43 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

thanks. is there any way to reload your character back into sp after you have used this mod?
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:12 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next