Top 10 RPGs of All Time @ eToychest
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Top 10 RPGs of All Time @ eToychest

eToychest has compiled what is, in their opinion, a list of the <a href="http://etoychest.org/content.php?article.76" target="_blank">Top 10 RPGs</a> of all time. Curiously, only two of the RPGs mentioned there were not available for the PC.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:24 am
olaf73
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hmm why is that curious? There are a lot of folks, myself included, that consider console RPGs to generally not be very RPG-like.

That being said, I think their list is questionable.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:26 am
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'd put most of those games in my top 10 RPGs as well. I've never played the console only games (I thought the FF games were more like interactive adventure games though...not rpgs). And never played the QFG games (but heard most were great).

But, um, not one Ultima on the list? Surely Ultima 4 or Ultima 7. And Ultima Underworld changed the rpg world.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:30 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ugh

Wow. That list is pretty darn lame. With the exception of a few titles. their list should have been called the 10 B-RPGs of all time...
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:02 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Can't comment on the quality of the console titles in the list, but the PC games are decent picks. Good call on Wasteland and Wiz VII, especially. It shows the author has some history in the genre and is not a newcomer.

I do, however, question the absence of any of the Ulitma games . I figure at least IV, V, or VII should have been there. NOt to mention the Underworld games.

Interesting that Planescape:Torment is rated so highly. This is perhaps one of the most overrated titles in existence. At least in comparsion to other CRPGs where you are actually DOING things other than reading unecessarily long expositions. I figured someone with that author's experience in CRPGs would realize that it takes more than just good writing to make a great game. Maybe if he was talking about adventure titles or interactive novels I wouldn't take such an issue.
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:17 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

nice selection

I should try "Chronotrigger" -> this game is new to me
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:53 am
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Actually, I find this list quite acceptible, considering the source. I would have a hard time removing any from the list, though I'd find a place for Ultima VII and Daggerfall.

And Planescape Torment definitely belongs. It had many ways to develop your character both career-wise and personality-wise, deep NPCs with many choices to include in your party, and interesting setting. And, the long prose is a plus in my book. I wish more games would realize it takes more than a sentence to express complex ideas, evoke emotional responses, and detail characters.

-Dwango
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:04 pm
Fleisch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Top Ten List

A better list than I expected. I wouldn't include console games (or Deus Ex for the same reason) because I consider them action games. For me, there's no such thing as an "action RPG": my twitch reflexes are absolutely nil so if forced to rely on them, I can't role play, unless I'm role playing clumsy cannon fodder. Wizardry VII is a great pick, it had the greatest music ever in a PC game for my money, among other things. That's why I'm so disappointed that the new offering from DW Bradley, Dungeon Lords is going to be an action game.

Having kicked out the consoles, I have room for 2 crucial omissions: Betrayal at Krondor and Darklands. For the third, Ultima VII and Daggerfall will have to slug it out. Or maybe they can both get in, since I consider Quest for Glory an adventure game, though it certainly had role-playing elements.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:39 am