Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The Uniqueness of Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

What do you think is it that makes Gothic so unique and different from many other games?
your ability to move everyware (3D)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
your ability to pick up and use everthing you find
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
your ability to sleep, eat or drink
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
your ability ot choose a guild to join
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
your ability to kill anyone you find
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
the option of learning more abilities
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
it's story
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
another one (write it down)
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Gothic isn't uniuqe at all!!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author Thread
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I prefer to trust in my fighting abilities than in exploits. talking about orcs. shooting an orc from a ledge isn't effective. I rather kill him with a melee, altough it takes 5 or 6 tryes, but I can manage it. It isn't that hard, even at level 10 (in g2).
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:28 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Its only an exploit if you think of it that way.

In RL hunters use the weaknesses of animals all the time. If Orcs are too stupid to hide when you have a bow, or continualy climb up a ledge when you keep knocking them off, then thats just a weakness that the hunter is using.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:56 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

exacly and btw someone told me that with 0 level u cant kill an orc well newsflash i actually did it not long while ago and i killed a black troll with level 0 you just pick up that wooden stick go to him and start hitting him behind his back and just move allways behind his back never stay in front of him it took me long tho but i killed it
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:36 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I nevezr used arrows against the orc, it took way too long I clubbered him down always on a later level, nice exp at later lvls
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:05 pm
Kaboodleschmitt
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
exacly and btw someone told me that with 0 level u cant kill an orc well newsflash i actually did it not long while ago and i killed a black troll with level 0 you just pick up that wooden stick go to him and start hitting him behind his back and just move allways behind his back never stay in front of him it took me long tho but i killed it

I was talking about arrows, not melee. And I never said that about orcs. Actually, I just stay away from orcs till I know I can handle them, then I get all that experience. The VoM is a killfest when it comes to orcs.

Or in gothic 1, that orc village is nice, the first time I played I killed all the orcs by luring them off one by one, but Ur-Shak still wanted me to get the Ulu-Mulu, then the third time I played, I found a way to get from the free mine to the orc town by climbing over the mountin . I killed all the orcs from ledges they couldn't reach!
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:47 pm
SimCity
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

GothicI reminds me of "No Escape"

Has anyone ever seen the movie "No Escape" (1994) starring Ray Liotta?

"A man commits a crime, and is dropped into a prison on an island in which he cannot escape." There are two camps on the island as well he can join, and he decides to go 'civilized'.

Heck, there's even a barrier on the island to so prisoners cannot escape. And there is even a guy who reminds me of mud in it!
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:50 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

well remember escape from LA with kurt Russel?, and the sequel of that movie? So that movie is not the only one with those ideas, maybe the creators of the game stole the idea of one of those films
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:38 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe i thought almost the same about escape from LA
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:43 am
Byblos
Village Leader
Village Leader

What I say what makes it unique in this day and age is, They put time and effort into it, I bet some of the guys went through some sleepless nights working on this great game. Unlike most game companies who huire alot of fancy graphic guys to make everything shiney and smooth and make a really short and shitty game, such as, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, The Bouncer and most playstation and XBox games.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:19 am
SimCity
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Getting to the actual question... I know it has been said several times already, however, the world is just so alive it amazes me. This was the first thing I really noticed about the game. I loved how you started off small and worked your way up. Nobody really cared who you were or why you were there until later, it was awesome.

Gothic may have spoiled me now because it's so great; all I want is every RPG to have voices and personalities, and play out like this! Haha.

Gothic is ahead of its time really. It combines sort of like a "Sims" personality to the characters and places them into this world of role-playing, it's really great. This is the RPG that all RPGs should be judged by in my opinion. I will purchase anything made for Gothic, expansions, anything, just keep making them please.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:12 am
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

The Gothic music. It is always matching, partly breathtaking, and for me one of the reasons for the immersion in Gothic.
Up to now I know only one other game, where the music has influenced me like that (and so nicely), that is Deus Ex 1.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:19 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

The world and the interactiveness with it. I like the world itself, how it's made and how you can explore every piece of it and secondly the way you can interact with everything, with the world, the npc's, the objects. That's making the game so good, in combination with the story.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Re: GothicI reminds me of "No Escape"

quote:
Originally posted by SimCity
Has anyone ever seen the movie "No Escape" (1994) starring Ray Liotta?

"A man commits a crime, and is dropped into a prison on an island in which he cannot escape." There are two camps on the island as well he can join, and he decides to go 'civilized'.

Heck, there's even a barrier on the island to so prisoners cannot escape. And there is even a guy who reminds me of mud in it!

It's called "Escape from Absolom". And to Titus First one is Escape from NY, the second is escape from LA.

On topic: I liked the story development, but that's not the only reason. Like mentioned before: the music is never boring, the world is alive and in a way realistic(although not completely -> kids. But in Gothic 3 I'll bet those small changes are made too.), the amount of quests and the liberty to solve them. Best was that you always have some overview. Voice acting is also very important for me.(Didn't like Morrowind for that reason.) The night/day shifting. The believable creatures.
NFG member
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:41 pm
Greyslayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I played Gothic 2 first if that matters. What stands out to me, of all the wonderful things in these games, would have to be the ebb and flow of the world. As I said in another thread, it has a certain authenticity that I don't remember being so immersive in any other game. Active NPC's that don't just sit around waiting for a lifeless dialog, but instead are going about their lives doing all sorts of different things with nice animations. Which ties into the interactiveness of the world. It's incredible. The AI possibilities are crazy for future Gothic games.

I also have to say it's one of the few games that makes me laugh. And I'm a fairly monotonous guy...
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:12 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup those little comedic things that are sometimes sayd in Gothic series made me laugh also and actually i have never laughed at any other game only in Broken Sword series also whitch btw is my second favorite game
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:34 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next