View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

How to defeat Swamp Golems as a mage?

The title says it all.

I'm playing a fire mage and I'm in Jharkendar looking for those stone tablets Saturas wants.
One of these mansions is guarded by a Swamp Golem and I know I had a hard time with it when I was a mercenary, but know I'm a mage he truely seems undoable.

My stats:
Level 16
HP: 347
mana: 100 with bonusses from rings, amulet and weapon
strength: 34
two-handed: 36%
the other skills and dexterity are still at 10(%)

I found out the hard way that Ice Lance doesn't do any damage. So there goes magic. With a ring and an amulet I can wield the Taifun, but it hardly does any damage. I don't want to stand there for 30 minutes doing the left-right combo.
Any tips?

Btw, up till now I can't find the mage very fun to play. It so annoying to run out of mana after 5 shots, drinking mana potions after every fight becomes irritant. When you're standing lower or higher than your enemy you can count on it that you miss. At close range your spells will miss in any case, so we take out the weird staff again.
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:30 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

They are tough as hell.

A proper way to deal them for a mage is either summoning skeletons or othet powerfull creatures or using powerfull transform scroll such as transform to a shadowbeast, a warg or a dragon snapper and take out the golem that way

edit: Obviously shrink, firerain, thunderstorm work everytime, but there is not much sense wasting them on swamp golems, but if nothing else helps, these wiill solve your problem.
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:34 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Agaisnt Swamp Golem for a magician, yes sommon is the more simple but skeleton isn't that much required, wolf should be nice. Even against a troll wolf is nice.

The other possibilities is a mage having 1H skill at fighter level at some abilities to damage, it's not for your mage. The point is that concentration with 1H fighter technic, you can chain hits without to stop and never get hit by this golem. You need a 1H with good long range, like the master sword.

The difficulties is that you need a lot of space and that it could take a long time if you don't hit enough hard, but you could wear str items to higher your hit power for this fight (belt, rings, amulet, the sum can gives +30 str).

With 2H it's less easy, at least I don't have any simple suggestion. The good point is that the mage staff are efficient and the Typhoon staff has the best range of all weapons. So a sommon wolf with such a staff should works.

To higher the hit power of your mage, wear str item (belt, rings, amulet, the sum can gives +30 str) for this fight, anyway better not get hit so you favorize your hit power and get the wolf hit.
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:03 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I hadn't read enough well your post, so don't use str item only to be able to use the Taifun staff but up to the max.

You use one ring str+5, it's not enough, you should be able to find in shops, another ring str+3, an amulet str+10, a belt str+10.

Try, this should change a lot your hit power. And again, don't try fight agaisnt it alone. What is your circle? Can you cast wolf or skeleton? If you can then learn skeleton, otherwise wolf is nice if you are only Circle 2. I did all chapter 2 and NOTR area with a wolf summon and the taifun staff.

EDIT : Ha well this precise fight will be tough anyway, so don't do it. You can jump from above to avoid the golem and get to the temple but it's not an easy jump. So just run to the temple and see what your try gives.
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:14 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I'm only circle two, I'm in the second chapter.

Is the summoned wolf equally strong as a normal wolf. Because I can't imagine a wolf doing a lot of damage against a golem.

With the left-right combo you can also prevent the golem from hitting you, it's just that it takes for ever to kill it.
Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:52 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Sem go find you a few ice block scrolls....I think there are only 4 swamp golems, so buy 4 scrolls. Circle 2 you should have the summon goblin skele rune. Draw out a golem one at a time, ice block then stand there drinking mana and creating goblin skeles Summon skeleton or demon scrolls would be better, but that can get expensive this early in your game. 3-4 goblins will take out the golem fairly quickly.

oh, almost forgot.....draw the golem WELL away from the others or your goblins will start attacking them all at once.......and an unfrozen golem is of course much tougher for the goblins.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:41 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

In fact as I finally wrote, better avoid this fight that soon.
quote:
Originally posted by Sem
I'm only circle two, I'm in the second chapter.
Is the summoned wolf equally strong as a normal wolf. Because I can't imagine a wolf doing a lot of damage against a golem.

I think so but the point is that your summon wolf can survive quite long so the point is that you are able to do enough damage to the golem with some time to do it but not a very long time like "hours". Also you could summon 2 or 3 wolf at same time before attacking the golem.

Save the game, learn the rune, get and wear all str items with the typhoon staff and give it a try to see and after get back to the savegame.
quote:
Originally posted by Sem
With the left-right combo you can also prevent the golem from hitting you, it's just that it takes for ever to kill it.

It's not the easiest combo to use, at least for me it is difficult to not let a hole. If you do mostly no damage then try get and wear all items.

One important point is that quite soon it is usefull to rise your 2H skill if your purpose is to use sword with your mage.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:02 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

About summon wolf, I'd like to add that yes there's mostly all chance that they are the same than wolf. But the summon constantly surprise me how well they can resist. That is all the point when compared to Goblins. For using them better use freeze like suggest Uriziel.

I recently used one wolf agaisnt a Troll with a crap paladin character that I succeed to screw up and the wolf did great, but sure I had to do the damages and the wolf was mostly dead at the end of the fight.

Also it hurts me how my Mercenary 2H couldn't do as well than my mage with only one wolf agaisnt the fire demons. Ha well, agaisnt those beast 1H at fighter level do great so it's perhaps just that I never found the right tactic with 2H agaisnt them, only Left/Right combo but tough to apply.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:10 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel

oh, almost forgot.....draw the golem WELL away from the others or your goblins will start attacking them all at once.......and an unfrozen golem is of course much tougher for the goblins.

Yes summoning could generate those sort of suprises! I got a lot of fun with my mage by using summon golem in swamp during chapter 4. The spicy was when the fight drag another golem, quite hot!
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:18 pm
rputran
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually it doesnt take very long to take down Swamp Golem with any melee weapon. Even for a relatively weak mage. It is a matter of timing a strike. Draw a golem out and wait for it to draw a fist back to hit you. Just when it draws its right hand back click left button. It will hit golem and send it back a step. Wait, rinse, repeat. Dont wait for fist to be drawn fully back - then you are dead meat . I found that if you time it right it takes about 10 strikes to kill a golem (str 40 and dex both 40 odd using rings, amulets, belts, rapier which adds 8 one hander points, level 16). There are 6 of them and its fun.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:20 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Gotit
Yes summoning could generate those sort of suprises! I got a lot of fun with my mage by using summon golem in swamp during chapter 4. The spicy was when the fight drag another golem, quite hot!

I had something similar when I summoned a Stone Guardian to keep a Seeker busy. All the NPC's from Akil's farm came running to me and killed my Guardian. Thank you very much. Reload.

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:31 pm