Usergroups
So what's the game like?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

First of all, thank you all for the responses!

Secondly: This game will probably keep my interested for some weeks. From what I've read it won't be "my" kind of game exactly but it looks good enough anyways.
I played Diablo and Baldurs Gate and what made me quit each time after a day or two was the very static isometric view.
BUT Dungeon Siege will have a free moving camera, zooming in and out, so I have strong hopes that I will like this game better.

The hack&slash part can get boring in the end but hey, no game is perfect I always say
If I get fed up with it I will leave it for a while untill I get that urge to play again.

I'll get my hands on it once it arrives here in Holland so I can find out for myself how good/bad I think the game really is.
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:00 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, this game is for people that like (or love) hash&slash. I just like to kill more and more monsters coming in my way (and my beautiful 6 mules are just behind me with all my goods). If somebody doesn't like this type of games, or even is "neutral" to them, he/she may easily get bored.

I still think this game can really rock in multiplayer (I read about few problems, nothing that can't be fixed). With superb editor on the way and community support this may rock. Few wishes about mp for the time being:

- increase number of players to 32
- where is my packmule, , I want my packmule in mp. Btw you can summon one monster. I would prefer one packmule.......
- some sort of persistent world (with the same items per group of servers).
- characters stored on servers
- prevent cheating at all cost

Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:43 pm
Fasttrak
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have heard this game described several ways and none quite feel right to me, this game is a visual version of an old game called Gauntlet. The views are a bit different and the graphics a whole lot, but the gameplay is identical. Move into a zone and activate a group of beasts that attack immediately the nearest opponent. For me it has become fairly tedious a game as there is no RPG elements in even the loosest sense of the genre. The only resource management is health and mana potions which are easily had and plentiful to come by. The combat system is so simple as to be true Microsoft style, "Point and Click" and click and click and click... ad nauseum. The graphics engine is far superior to anything in this genre but by no means the best I have seen from FPS games. After about an hour of play I found my attention wandering to other things. There is no exploring as the world is mostly simple pathways outside with invisible walls and the dungeon is the same but the walls are visible. Did I mention the constant mouse clicking? How did they not implement the Diablo style mouse button hold to move forward? The combat is so good that you barely need to pay attention except for the occasional potion drinking. The online play for me is utterly painful, I can not figure out the reason for so much lag when the host and client are fairly near each other and both are high band routed DSL. Every action has about a two second delay, those using dial-up must require serious dosage of drugs to keep from going postal. How the term RPG was ever associated with this game in the previews are utterly beyond me, this is a action game pure and simple.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:04 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Frastrak, this is RPG, do not change meaning of this word. Noone ever said that this game is non-linear with sophisticated developement system, with many huge dialogues with NPC, with tactical turn-based battles. If some like only this and doesnt like action-based RPGs, this game is simply not for him/her. There is nothing to complain about this game (only story could be little bit stronger). Dungeon Siege is what it should be and it is very good in its own area.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:26 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Seems to me that this may be falling back to the "Is Diablo an RPG" argument that has flared up time and again. Personally, I say no (I'd call that type of game an action game with RPG elements), but it's not a clear dividing line. Many gamers (including me, I guess) seem to define action by a vague "mouse-clicks-per-minute" rating, which clearly puts DS outside of RPGs from what I've heard here. On the other hand, what does one do with Deus Ex, which clearly had its basis as a FPS but included many classic traits of RPGs (non-linear story, conversations, increasing character skills). It gets pretty tough to determine where the lines are...
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:16 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2