A video card question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

A video card question

hello, I've got a video card question, I'm thinking about buying a new computer, that computer comes with either a ATI x300 or an ATI x700(this one with a 512mb ddr2), the question is the one I have on my old computer is a ati 9800 pro with 256 mb, so which is better? thanks guys
Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:21 am
ericmdn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

the 9800 pro is a superior card in terms of speed and the amount of frames per second your gonna get . the X700 card is just a PCI Express version of the 9700 pro.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:52 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I would stick with 9800 if the two choices are the only one you have.

If you intend to use your new computer for gaming, I would strongly suggest to get better video card. You get one for nearly the price of x700.

x300 is simply rather office computer video card. x700 is slightly better. 512 mb memory on such video card is really just a trick. I guess 128 would be enough and 256 more than enough for x700.
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:30 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought the x-"number" series came after the 9xxx series?, so what is a better card?, do I have to go all the way to x800 or to x850?
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:56 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, you are right, x series is newer generation than your 9800.
Problem is that by upgrading from 9800, you are switching from high-end from one generation to lower-mainstream level (x700) or pc-office level from newer series.

This means, you will hardly get much improvement and still have to pay for that card.

Generally if you want to buy ATI card from this series and want to see improvement in comparison with you current card, you have to go with (at least) good mainstream card and that is nowadays x800GTO2. Don't buy x800 or x850. x800GTO2 is modified, updated newest (and probably last) part of that series.
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:45 am