Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Honestly, is Night of the Raven (G2 expansion) worth $55?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Kranky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Honestly, is Night of the Raven (G2 expansion) worth $55?

I checked out the site that will ship Gothic 2's expansion internationally form Germany but I wasn't expecting it to cost $55 after the Euro transfer rate. (Includes shipping & handling.) That's a lot of money for just an expansion. I've played many expansions that left me feeling ripped off.

So my question to you is it really worth it? Exactly what does it add?

From what I've read, there is a new quest where I need to find some type of artificat, the difficulty level has been rasied in monster fighting, and I can now be new classes such as the water mage.....

What else has been added? And does it work 100% with the English mod, especially if I have the English version of Gothic 2 combined with the German version of Night of the Raven?

Thanks a bunch for the answers. I'm hesitant to blow nearly $60 on an expansion and just want to make sure it's worth it. I love Gothic 1 & Gothic 2, and need more Gothic.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:27 pm
muteki13
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It depends on how into Gothic you really are. There is supposed to be an English version of the addon, but we've been hearing that for ages. If they are releasing one it might come out after they see how well the English G3 does. We all got it sooner because we didn't want to be the only kid on the block who hadn't played the addon.

It doesn't add just one level, it adds a whole new map that is roughly the size of the VOM in G2. It's a very unique and interesting place, especially for the world of Gothic. There are brand new creatures in the level that will also appear in the VOM. Some new characters are in it, including pirates, and some old characters you'll recognize from G1 (and you'll probably say "Wait, I killed that guy."). You can also join the Circle of Water, but you can't be a water mage.

The weapons and stats systems are different, though I might as well say harder. It takes more points to raise everything. Crossbows are now strength based. You will find some swords that are dexterity based. There are also special weapons you will find including: a fire bow, a magic bow, a magic crossbow, and Beliars Claw (a weapon that will zap your opponents for you ).

As for how well it works with the English version. The game runs a lot slower with the addon, but that might happen regardless. You might have guessed that all the new dialogue is in German, which makes a conversation more amusing as the characters switch not only between English and German, but also between different voice actors. The mod adds subtitles that are good for the most part, but I did spend a couple hours looking for "beets" when they meant "turnips".

You could always wait to see if they are going to release it in English, and if they don't, the price will be lower by the time it is definite that they won't. Of course it also adds a lot of story points that you might want to be aware of as you head into G3.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:05 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by muteki13
As for how well it works with the English version. The game runs a lot slower with the addon, but that might happen regardless.

The addon world is a lot more detailed than the other two worlds and therefore asking more from your system.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:17 am