in-game text
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Splinter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

in-game text

Ok so, I recently got Gothic since I like Gothic 2. But when the main menu appers its just the background and no text. Same as when you talk to some one, there are no options. How can i fix this.
Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:50 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Splinter,

Welcome to the forums,

I will have to dig out some settings for you to try, its getting late, maybe tomorrow, we will have to go through several settings to try to reveal the problem, hang on in there.
Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:12 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Splinter,

First re-install Gothic and at the install menu, select "repair" and try the game again, also check the volume size of the file, Gothic\data\textures.VDF it should be 119,216 KB, if not there may be a faulty cd. Also do you have an ATI video card? what model/version? what version of direct-x is installed (obviously for your G2 game) having the main system spec's is also helpful.
You could alter settings in the Gothic\system\gothic.ini file, but first check the above before continuing with this.

Good luck.
Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:06 pm
Splinter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I reinstalled Gothic and all the files are intact. And as for my system specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2.00 Ghz
768 MB of RAM
nVIDIA GeForce 5200 FX
Creative Labs Audigy (i think)
and i have Direct X 9.0

I havent tried editing the .ini yet.
Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:08 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k splinter, all looks o.k,

But on seeing your memory setup there are several paths to take:-

1. I'm not certain but the fx video card with gothic does not like dissimilar memory, was that a single piece (512mb) then you added another single piece of (256mb) ? i would need to know the memory channel setup, you may have to remove the/a 256mb piece for now, or,

2. Post your motherboard spec' make/model and exact version and chipset type, also bios type and i.d string number, i know it's asking a lot but it may well help to solve the video rendering problem that Gothic has with your system, it isn't the actual video card but the surrounding system that it is sitting in that needs to be checked-out.

P.S. (press 'pause' key just as 'post' screen starts to get bios i.d string number in bottom left corner.)
Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:18 pm
Splinter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, I had a stick of RAM added to my machine. But as for operating and taking it out, Im not to great with that. As for my mother board, where do I go to check it?
Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:34 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Not sure what to suggest.

If you dont feel confident enough to open up your pc, then maybe do a complete re-format, reload windows, motherboard chipset drivers, direct-x, video driver, etc' and finally the gothic game,

If you still have no luck, then maybe download and install the gothic mod player kit, then run the game (with no mods) through the starter, at least it will tell you where the fault lies, thats what it was partially designed for.

reply if you need further info.
Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:54 pm
Splinter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Where can I download it?
Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:41 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

The gothic mod player kit can be downloaded from the gothic site.

Over on the left, go to Hosted sites/gothic/gallery/special, - - when you install it, it puts a folder on your desktop, - when you open the gothic starter, any mods you have installed will show up in a list on the left, you of course will only see "gothic" - just highlight and click start.
This program has a unique way of processing the gothic files at startup, it can actually give an on-screen problem indication.
Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:33 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I get exactly the same problem. Running winxp SP2, raedon 9600 pro.
Post Mon May 09, 2005 11:28 am