Usergroups
Gothic 2 = EASY?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think I spent any more than 3-5 days on either game really. G2 is longer, but I was already experienced with it when it came out(G1 + G2 demo). I don't really take the time to enjoy games, I just rush through them, and then do them over and over again to enjoy them if they are "worthy", hehe.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:13 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Sure there is nothing wrong in it .I just meant that i'm that kind of player who likes to examine everypart of the world.I really take all my time and test everything.One of the most memorable moments was when I skulked Valentino all day and then finally when he was alone returning to his home I whacked his ass Sure if you like playing fast non-stop, just enjoy the ride..I was simply amazed if people play rpg games like it is some sort of sport .

Its not the kill, its the thrill of chase
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:34 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 are both very good games. Difference is in the story. Many like G1 simply because nothing was laid out in front of you from the start. You got thrown into colony, and only 'job' you had was to deliver the letter. Whether you deliver it or no didn't matter that much, actually. Other then that, you were totally on your own. You knew no-one, you had no idea what the heck to do. So, what did the person do? Just head out towards the Old Camp for the heck of it, after all, some chap Diego said to come there and the robed mage dude gave a letter to deliver...

Then, throughout the whole game, more and more options became available for you and eventually, at some point, you got onto the main quest line. But it was done nicely and in a smooth way. The G2 was different, in G2 basically Xardas pulls you out of the rubble and gets right down to business - there is the threat, that is the tool, this is what you have to do. Bam! Nothing like in G1. On it's own G2 is VERY good game, a definitive successor of G1 and continuing it's story line quite well, it also is better technically. Quests are cool and game's fun, simply the objective what is laid out right before you, right at the start, is what many didn't like that much, many would have preferred the G1 way of finding it out. Many don't mind it of course and in a way, such dabbig in the dark wouldn't work in G2 anyway, simply because Xardas is there, in Khorinis, before you and already has the data, that's why he slaps it all out at you.

But, all in all, G2 is just as fun as G1 was and re-visiting Valley of Mines brought back memories, heh... I remember that when I first in G2 went to VoM, I visited or tried to visit all the familiar places. I was though dissapointed at some bad work what PB had done with VoM regarding the old areas from G1, in many cases it felt that PB didn't care about adding some things from G1. Sure, those things wouldn't have mattered for G2 but still. For example, the orc city - sure there's the bridge, but the city itself is literally not done. It could have looked, at least partially, like it was in G1 and rest of it perhaps be buried under the rubble from the temple collapse. Swamp Camp - sure the orcs took it over and down, but something could have been left of it anyway, you know, some half sunken shacks and maybe walkways, perhaps partial rubble of the temple, or it's stairs, where Y'Berion used to be. The old monastery ruins could have been still there, maybe even more ruined but still, and the guard tower where Chromanin was together with the shipwreck on the beach. I was dissapointed that those things were not considered and just chopped out of the game, some even in quite robust way. But all in all, I enjoyed G2 a lot and add-on added even more spark to it. Heck, I still have G1 + G2 + add-on installed on my PC and every now and then go through them
Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:51 am
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
Hell i want to enter into the world, I want to feel like i'm there.

You said it well, mate!
Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:34 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
On it's own G2 is VERY good game, a definitive successor of G1 and continuing it's story line quite well, it also is better technically.

That's a very good conclusion. I've only played G2 (and addon) and my G1 version will come in a few days from Germany. I got really irritated at first when all people said G2 was bad and G1 rocked, etc. NotR is my favourite game and I'll judge my game-serie again when I've played G1 to see whether or not NotR is still the best.

I'm sure going back to the VoM will bring back some memories too.
"He, that is the destroyed outer ring, but now it's still in one piece. Kewl!"
Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:46 pm
Nagorak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
Yea I have never understood people who just rush games through, like it was somekind of sport.I play games(especially rpg games) to have a good time. Hell i want to enter into the world, I want to feel like i'm there.If it took only 3 days, you must have played it non stop and ignore all the sidequests..

Keep in mind the guy didn't specify how many hours he played on those three days. He could have played like 10-12 hours straight for 3 days, which is still something like 30-36 hours. It's rushing a little bit, but not that much. I can't remember how long it took me to beat G2 when I went through it the first time, so I can't make any comparison. Gothic 1 took me at least 30 hours.
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:31 am
Nagorak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I actually thought Gothic 2 was way too easy without the expansion. By the end of the game you really just tear through things without much difficulty. Actually, about midway through the game it starts to get too easy (after you return from the Valley of Mines and the Seekers start appearing, the Seekers were supposed to be a threat, but they just weren't).

I thought Gothic 1 had a better difficulty progression, because although you became more powerful, things didn't become trivial by the end of the game. Although, playing as a mage, by the end you become pretty powerful.

Another gripe I had about G2 was the weapons were so expensive that you could never afford them. By the time you could, you'd already have the unique forged weapon, which made them obsolete. I understand the expansion solves this problem as well.

Anyway, I'm playing through the game again with the expansion this time, and I plan to play as a mage, so I'll report back with my opinion on the difficulty.
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:39 am
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Nagorak

Keep in mind the guy didn't specify how many hours he played on those three days. He could have played like 10-12 hours straight for 3 days, which is still something like 30-36 hours. It's rushing a little bit, but not that much. I can't remember how long it took me to beat G2 when I went through it the first time, so I can't make any comparison. Gothic 1 took me at least 30 hours.

Well, I mostly play at weekends, appr. 12-14 hours / day. Not kidding. At this rate I've been playing with "Gothic 2" for 3 or 4 months. I like to enjoy a game which offers such a freedom and challenge. I was not talking about difficulty. It was easy yeah. But not when you try to beat a few skeletons at level 5 for example. I had almost 100% the population of the forest killed and almost everything collected by the end of chapter 1. When I went to kill the orcs, I had not much problem with them. When I've read a few walkthroughs after finishing the game I was satisfied to see that I finished off almost all available quests. (except for the guild specific quests of course, which I couldn't even if I wanted to) But rushing through the main quest just to beat off a game like this (I'm talking about this particular game and other cool non-linear RPGs like Morrowind) is not worth it. I admit I rushed through Dungeon Siege yeah. But I was bored like hell with it.
Post Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:06 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
(after you return from the Valley of Mines and the Seekers start appearing, the Seekers were supposed to be a threat, but they just weren't).

Try to get your hands on the addon, then you'll know what powerful can means. I just love to see your face when you get toasted by a Seeker's Rain of Fire for the first time.
Post Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:17 am
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Sem

Try to get your hands on the addon, then you'll know what powerful can means. I just love to see your face when you get toasted by a Seeker's Rain of Fire for the first time.

Whoa, man. I'm still scared to go into the valley (addon). I've just went to the new addon place in ch2, I hope to get around 15 levels on me, before I return to go to the Valley. I was level 10 when I tried to beat the ork in the cave near the east gate of Khorinis and *hell*. I gave up after 5 tries. Will come back later. Now I'm a bit annoyed I spent any points even on sneaking + lockpicking, but couldn't leave the upper quarter with anything shiny and golden. It didn't worth it. I remembered getting more gold from that, also beating up *youknowwho" for "youknowwhat" books, but everything disappeared from his inventory after beating! Damn!
The new addon place look wonderful though!
Post Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:12 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Seekers have Storm of Fire I believe, not Rain of Fire.

And yes, the add-on is incredibly much harder than the game on its own.

I agree with what you write Whailor, so there's no real need in repeating it, but I just have to point out that I really do miss the way of getting into the game from G1. You started as a convict with no other purpose than survival, instead of saving the world from day 1.I loved that about G1.
Post Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:29 pm
Nagorak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

They actually do have Rain of Fire, I believe (used it on me once), but they rarely use it.

The add-on definitely made the game a lot harder, but also I found it a bit more tedious. Although I enjoyed it, I felt Gothic 2 with the add-on was just a bit too long from start to finish.

It was also kind of annoying that Vatras chewed me out for killing the pirates (accused me of murdering "innocents", lol whatever dude!).

Overall I do have to say that I think Gothic 1 is the better game of the two, but that's not to say Gothic 2 is bad. I agree that the way G1 started out was better, and I think the game's flow was better overall. But then again it would be impossible to start Gothic 2 out that way while still having it make sense.
Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:17 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
But then again it would be impossible to start Gothic 2 out that way while still having it make sense.

I disagree. It would have been simple. You finally free yourself from the fallen rocks and are hungry and tired, but still inside the sleepers temple....or what is left of it. You are weak, your armor is shattered, your weapons in ruins, and you can not remember where you are or how you got there. You just know you are hungry and lost. You find a stick and start from there, killing meatbugs to survive as you find your way out of the temple.....and you slowly start to remember a few things. You find a way out of the temple and go from there....maybe running into Lester, who is still a little confused, but he sends you somewhere else....and the journey begins.

That is not hard to do storywise and it gives you the same opening feeling of G1. Lost, alone, and not knowing what to do.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:40 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
quote:
But then again it would be impossible to start Gothic 2 out that way while still having it make sense.

I disagree. It would have been simple. You finally free yourself from the fallen rocks and are hungry and tired, but still inside the sleepers temple....or what is left of it. You are weak, your armor is shattered, your weapons in ruins, and you can not remember where you are or how you got there. You just know you are hungry and lost. You find a stick and start from there, killing meatbugs to survive as you find your way out of the temple.....and you slowly start to remember a few things. You find a way out of the temple and go from there....maybe running into Lester, who is still a little confused, but he sends you somewhere else....and the journey begins.

That is not hard to do storywise and it gives you the same opening feeling of G1. Lost, alone, and not knowing what to do.

I agree in fact sounds to me like you hit on a perfect gothic two begining, you could maybe hook up with lee and his boys to get out of the VOM , like Buster told us they did (we stuck toghter and nothing happened to us), I really did like the begining in gothic 1 way more then gothic 2.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:45 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
Seekers have Storm of Fire I believe, not Rain of Fire.

Oh sure they have. But luckily not all. Teleport to the old tower of Xardas in the VoM in chapter 4, after getting the rune from it in chapter two. There will be three Seekers the chance is very large that one of these uses Rain of Fire.
One of them did when I teleported there. I had forgotten that there were seekers in chapter 4 and also forgot that seekers are a lot stronger in the addon.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:37 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next