Hero Import
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
MidgardDragon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hero Import

Alright, I know this is using a cheat system and it's not fully supported, but I'm having problems trying to use an imported character to go through a New Game, and I was wondering if anybody had any advice to make it work correctly.

My main problem so far is...Diego/Thorus don't give me the quests for joining the Old Camp. I reset my "Guild" status to "0" using the edit abilities cheat, but it still didn't make it work.

That's the only real problem I've experience so far. Other than the experience to level up is so great that you can't possibly level up at the beginning with an imported character from near the end. But I just fixed that by changing the exp_next values in edit abilities so that's good too.

Any advice? I don't know what else I would need to change to make Thorus/Diego recognize that I need the quests for the Old Camp. atm the game is acting like I don't belong to the Old Camp, but I don't have a way of getting in.

Just so you all know: I'm trying to do this to get a character as maxed out as possible (although I know I could just do it through cheats, I want to replay the game so I'm doing this), and then I'm gonna upload it somewhere so folks can dl the uber-char and have fun in-game with it. Mostly, I'm just doing it for my own enjoyment, the uber-char for others is just a side-reason.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:44 am
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Have you ever finished this game? Why using cheats? If you won't cheat, you won't recive bugs..
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:02 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You need to have the guild set to 0 BEFORE you head down the path and get to camp, so to say. Just because you changed it at some point on the fly doesn't mean that it'll work anymore. Simply export the char, edit the file and set the guild to 0, then start new one and import the char and then move on. Don't forget to import the fire magician letter too, in this case.

And there's no point to try to reach the max level, as it's heck knows how far. I've had char with the level over 120 and there was no end still
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:43 pm
MidgardDragon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Milan Kovacs
Have you ever finished this game? Why using cheats? If you won't cheat, you won't recive bugs..

Okay, I think you need to a) read more carefully, and b) not jump to conclusions.

Yes, I have finished the game, otherwise I would not be able to *import a character from at the end of the game* to import at the beginning. Read before you reply, and don't jump to conclusions, then we'll get along a bit better.

EDITED TO ADD: Just reread my Original Post and realized I didn't include the "from the end of the game" part. I had intended to write it, but apparently I forgot it in the actual writing of the post. So, basically, you just need to not jump to conclusions.

Last edited by MidgardDragon on Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:49 pm
MidgardDragon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
You need to have the guild set to 0 BEFORE you head down the path and get to camp, so to say. Just because you changed it at some point on the fly doesn't mean that it'll work anymore. Simply export the char, edit the file and set the guild to 0, then start new one and import the char and then move on. Don't forget to import the fire magician letter too, in this case.

And there's no point to try to reach the max level, as it's heck knows how far. I've had char with the level over 120 and there was no end still

Yes, I did exactly that. I experimented with it in many different ways as well. I tried starting a brand-new game, giving the character everything he needs (special weapons, all runes, all plot-items, maxing out stats, learning all skills and talents, etc.) and then importing him into a new new game ASAP (i.e. during the auto-talk with Diego) and *still* I didn't get the options to join the Old Camp when talking to them. The only thing I can think is that maybe something to do with the level or one of the items I have has set a flag that makes them think I'm part of another camp even if I've got the Guild set to 0. That, or there is some other setting I need to change before it will work. (And yes, I remembered to take the Fire Magicians letter as well.)

It's really weird. atm I'm going to try going past the quests for the Old Camp and then editing the char the way I want it. This won't fix the fact that in subsequen games I won't be able to use this char, like I wanted to, because this weird flag seems to be set.

EDITED TO ADD: About the level thing, I checked to see how high it would let me set it, and when it let me set it all the way to 1000, I just decided there must not be a cap and to avoid bugs I set it to 100. Even though there seemed to be no cap on str or dex either, I set those to 255 each (a nice round RPG number) and I set mana to 999. I'm thinking maybe my way of doing this might be what caused the problem. For example, I used the cheats in the Story Helper to get experience so I could use those skillpoints with the Character Helper. This made it seem like my character had made it to Chapter 6, and I'm thinking there might be something set in Chapter 6 that would make NPCs not give me all dialogue options when importing a char. I did remember to reset the guild to 0 before trying it, and it still didn't work. Frustrating but I might just play through again normally and leave another game open to attempt to create the uber-char as well.

EDITED TO ADD PART DEUX: The above ETA was for the second try, on my first try, I just tried importing a char from near the end of my first (non-cheat) play through and it didn't work.
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:53 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Char helper can change some flags so that you will miss some stuff. If you finish one game normally, that is, just before you stab the last heart you save the char (export), then exit, remove the guild data, start new game and import it - without ANY OTHER action like char helper and such - it should work. Always works for me without any issue whatsoever. Items equipped/worn/in inventory make no difference, I've been a 'naked' newbie and also a newbie in ore armor and with Uriziel, all works as long as is done above.

As for stats, the char I mentioned had over 2000 HP, over 400 in STR and 400'ish in DEX, well over 1000 mana. No stats were added manually, all stats were gained from level up's and potions within the game. It is actually very simple in G1 (and G2 and NoTR too) to make the formula which, basically, would keep your char levelling 'forever', because when you level, you gain only LP's, HP, new XP limit until new level and new level number. The formula for XP needed for next level is very easy to calculate out and it's a certain rule it follows, so basically it would have been very easy for PB to do so, that the char will keep levelling, basically, forever
Post Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:53 pm
MidgardDragon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay, I think you're all missing the point. The point being, I tried it all the ways mentioned, it's not working.

So, let's go through this step by step. First, I changed guild status to 0 using the edit abilities cheat in my original save game in Chapter 6. I then exported the character, started a new game, and imported the character in the new game. So, I started the new game with a character at guild status 0. I also made sure that he had the Fire Mages Letter. But still, when talking to Diego, I don't get the option where he tells me that I need to talk to Thorus about getting in. And when talking to Thorus, I don't get the option that tells me I need to talk to Diego to get the quests in order to prove myself, nor do I get the quest for Mordrag. All I get is the pay 1000 ore option, and that doesn't allow me to do much but go inside and I can't get to Gomez place because the guards block me. Not only this, but when I do do the 1000 ore option, and I go talk to the Fire Mages, even if I have the letter, it doesn't act like I have it, so I don't have an option to give it to them.

It was then that I tried the Character and Story Helpers just to see if that would work, and it still acted the same way.

So, in conclusion, I've tried all the ways mentioned, it's not that I'm doing it wrong, but it appears there is something set on my character for whatever reason that is making NPCs not give me the right options. I'll wait and see if anyone else has had this problem, but as for now I'm just playing through normally again. Maybe I'll cheat him up to all those stats some way other than Story Helper and see if everything still works normally. Is there any way in Marvin-Mode to give yourself Learning Points?
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:08 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I don't do as much messing about as i used to, i would always wait for the chapter change (ch -1) before doing any hero import/export, because at the very beginning when talking to Diego the data holding and flag latching/hold-off is the most intense, more than other parts of the game in fact.
Also as far as i can remember, of all the stats that can be juggled, weapon training is the one that can only be done through a trainer and will not hold in a save game or beyond a chapter change if entered manually. This is probably because of the minimum level 5 syndrome etc'

Good luck.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:29 am
MidgardDragon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
I don't do as much messing about as i used to, i would always wait for the chapter change (ch -1) before doing any hero import/export, because at the very beginning when talking to Diego the data holding and flag latching/hold-off is the most intense, more than other parts of the game in fact.
Also as far as i can remember, of all the stats that can be juggled, weapon training is the one that can only be done through a trainer and will not hold in a save game or beyond a chapter change if entered manually. This is probably because of the minimum level 5 syndrome etc'

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll finish playing through Chapter 1 normally and try importing then.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:51 pm