Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Do you think Morrowind or Dungeon Siege is better?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

First of all, I was, and maybe still am, a great diablo fan. I have equipment worth around 200$ on my accounts, all found my myself. When I played DS, I noticed two things.

1. The Graphics were GREAT (compared to d2, hehe)
2. The gameplay sucks. With d2 I have 12 wildly different chars, in DS all chars look alike in the end. Espescially in MP.

So for mne the question is, is D2 better as MW. And that is like asking if Quake is better as FlightSim 2002. D2 is the best of its kind. Mw is the best of its kind. I myself like MW better, but I know others wont. Make up your own mind and have fun
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:48 am

I couldn't bother myself with reading all the posts. I played DS all the way through prior to purchasing and playing MW. No offense, but I think it's an assinine comparison. They are different games. I finished DS and don't see myself playing again, period. That's my choice. However, I think it'll take me a LONG time to finish MW, and even then I plan on starting a different character and playing through again. That's without addons or patches. Addons and patches could keep me playing for a long long time. They are different games. MW is more immersive. MW is more Role Playing. DS is hack and slash, a clickfest. Trust me, I've played, and believe me, I enjoyed it, I finished it. But the replay value, for me, is limited. MW has more replay value, end of story.

Me.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:55 am

I should add that I feel like I got my moneys worth from both games, I think that's important. I spent, hmmm, maybe 30 hours playing DS, that's 15 movies, or a couple of nice meals, so I feel I got my monies worth; same with MW, even more so. I think that's the fundamental question: Did you get your monies worth, do you feel cheated? If the answer is no, then it's all good. People rarely look at it that way. But to me that's the bottom line, if I don't feel cheated, I'm fine, even if the game isn't great. Not all movies are great either, but I go to them.

Me.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:59 am

entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I finished dungeon siege and as an action rpg its the tops:)
But morrowind is a true rpg and is the better game in that sense.But they are both fanstatic games:)
Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:48 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I have hopes that a game like Morrowind will bring upcoming (real) RPG's to the attention of more gamers. NWN, of course, but smaller, not less interesting productions like Arx Fatalis or Divine Divinity. And there's Gothic 2 on the horizon
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:54 am
Ché G.

DS was very good and had really good multiplayer. What would make DS excellent is having 32 or so players in the same game. Kinda a mini MMOG.

MW is a real RPG in my book, and an instant classic to boot. Somehow all these pesky little "bugs" and "performance issues" that normally drive me crazy just.... don't detract from my opinion of the game at all.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:56 am

isaac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I finally registered! *does a happy dance...coughs...clears throat, and smiles*

Anyway, I do agree personally that D2 was better as an ARPG. I'm not sure whether it was because that was the period that I was into ARPG's, or because D2 was a damn good game. But hey, who's got the beans now? (Random phrase of the day. )

Also, I agree with the lack of replayability in DS. Once your done, you're done. But with Morrowind? Whoo boy! *Grins*

I also agree with Rendelius on the point that you have no agenda with Morrowind, and also with the hopes that Morrowind will bring RPG's to attention, because the genre deserves it. Again, nothing against the other genres, but why else would we be around here at RPGdot!

Other than that, I'm happy to be a part of these boards (officially!)

Take care everyone.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:20 pm
Vrolok
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Greetings from the cold north!

I haven`t played DS or MW yet. MW is working its way through the mailsystem. In Norway that goes slow.

Ok. You`re probably bored already, but i cant`t forget the first time
I saw the MW trailer. I had tears in my eyes... I`ve played AD&D for 6 years
now. Since Daggerfall, nothing have suited me in ways of RPG`s. But now after all the reviews, I am pretty shure MW is the biggest and best RPG made yet. Long live Bethesda!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:43 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

both good

both are great games for different reasons. Both games will probably keep you entertained for hours upon hours if you like them. But it all comes down to which TYPE of game you prefer. I like them both, and alternate between the two often, but its so hard to choose just one. Hard to choose a better one.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:51 pm
awdougherty

comparison

It really depends on the type of gamer sitting at the keyboard. If, you're in a catatonic stupor, then Dungeon Siege really is designed just for you.

Just kidding. I have played the demo of dungeon siege and the one comment I'll make is that calling it an action RPG is sort of a misnomer. No real action is required on your part to play. Beyond that, the graphics were really good, but they didn't blow me away. But the most important thing for me was the lack of gameplay. I appreciate the idea of stripping an RPG to its most fun core and going from there, but I think once they removed all of the headaches newbies get from an in depth RPG (stat management, stuff like that), they should have allowed characters more interaction than just attack/bash open. That's what I think some developer should strive for, a really in depth RPG that is completely approachable by newbies (sort of what Mac tries to do... make a capable machine easy to use). DS just wasn't it, although I think whoever does it will have a big hit on their hands.

Now I haven't played Morrowind, but I have been following people's impressions and what not. For my taste, this game will own Dungeon Siege. For me, I like to focus on the "role" in rpg. I like having different means to an end. And most importantly, I like watching a story unfold. I like combat, too, but you can't hinge an entire game on fighting and still maintain my interest.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:56 pm

Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Wow, i'm honored to see this post grow into what it is. I really like seeing all the differences, it has helped me choose which one to play through. Thanks a lot guys!

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:56 pm

DS is good multiplayer fun that gets boring quickly. It has better graphics than MW though. None of that grey-brown fog.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:14 am

Dreadloch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I played DS until MW came out. DS is extremely well designed, but feels more like a graphics engine crying out for a better game. Yeah, it is the next gen Diablo II game, but really, it is just a continuation of what Blizzard started with its megahit.

MW is a next gen RPG game. It seems to eclipse all previous RPGs in both style and substance. MW and DS are both extremely different games, and I've always felt that using RPG and Diablo in the same sentence would be about the same as using the term RPG with the career modes in sport PC games. Despite the fact you can allocate experience points, and quests are used to basically get you to the next game map, Diablo and DS are action games in the same niche as the great, and underrated, Crusader PC games by Origin, were. I suspect that even using the term RPG when Diablo was released was more a marketing ploy to expand the target market. It just has RPG-like features, but nothing more than that.

MW, unfortunately, will likely lack the sales of a DS or Diablo. It is RPG on steroids and with both its complexity and system requirements, its potential market is a smaller, but more passionate one. Let's hope that Bethesda can recover the costs of development on this game enough to survive the next development cycle. Given their previous game sales history, I am surprised they have lasted this long. Hooray for them!

And boo to those who would download MW instead of pay for it. That sort of thing can only put the nail in the coffin of yet another great PC game company if you aren't careful. I almost passed out when Looking Glass bit the dust, but Thank God for Specter and keeping Thief alive. The thought of that game dying out was almost like losing a loved one.

Now, if only System Shock III was in development somewhere...
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:56 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I haven't played MW yet but it can't be worse than DS. DS was the most boring game of the last three years! True, it looks good, but even Diablo was more fun. DS is just 'hack, hack, hack, hack, slash, hack, hack'. Without the lovely Diablo FMVs.

I think MW is a lot better. I loved Daggerfall and I love Gothic, so I ought to love Morrowind.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:13 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Given those two loves... you will.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:35 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next