Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Wiz 8 for dummies?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

I've started Wiz 8 several times trying to learn the interface. The game has hooked me but I have no real understanding of the combat system, character builds yet. I'm trying to learn. I've read the manual and need to practice. Is there a link to help me grasp this game playing concept? A tutorial would have been great! I understand that this game has a special niche audience but I should be able to enjoy it anyway! thanks
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:10 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If you don't want spoilers, check out the hints thread in this forum. This site here also has good tips. Happy Gaming!
Also, it you have a specific problem, feel free to post your question here. Many of us have won the game multiple times and can give you hints.

[ This Message was edited by: Val on 2002-04-08 10:30 ]
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:28 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Val, thanks for the link. Hopefully, it will answer a few pestering questions that are bothering me at Marten's Bluff
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:06 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Another good site for hints is:

http://www.geocities.com/jandrall/

This one has excellent write-ups on good ways to develop the different classes, which might help you out. Those spotlights by AltusSeven are excellent (IMO).

By the way, Max- I was so disappointed that I couldn't give you good answers to your Marten's Bluff questions that I stopped MM9 last night (which just refused to suck me in) and started a new game of Wiz8. If you decide to start over, we might progress together. I want to try some different things this time through, so perhaps we can help each other out.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:20 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I play very slowly at home (I'm a work now, on break, of course). The computer a my house is a very popular item at my house, and senority doesn't mean anything.

Note: Refering to the link that Val posted. Looking at the map for the upper section of Marten's talks about a post that shoots arrows in all directions (Item 2). I don't know what their talking about. The was an arrow shooting device that shot arrows into a dead monster, but it was built into a wall, not a post. Item 3 talks about a lever, what lever? I was through the upper section a dozen times and I saw no lever. My game is saved at trees section (Ratkin, I think) I am returning with news of the diary that I found, to see if this will open up something or anything in Marten's Bluff. Boy, this Marten's Bluff is really getting on my nerves.

[ This Message was edited by: Max Killen on 2002-04-08 14:00 ]
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You obviously haven't accessed those areas yet. This area can be a real pain in the rear end. You have to go in through the Mine Tunnels to access areas that you aren't able to access (due to restiction) by going in through Upper Marten's Bluff. Then you access the locked rooms in Upper Marten's Bluff through these areas. It's like some hideous maze you have to go through. Thankfully it's one of the only ones.

Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:19 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

The very first time I went to the Bluff was via the minecars; but I screwed up and killed the wrong character or something, because everyone attacked me from then on. So I deleted that saved game, and went into Marten's by way of the upper section first, then taking the elevator down to the lower section. I am prohibited from entering the section that I was in when I came on the mine cars. I hope it's not to late to take the mine cars and go into the prohibited section. This has been very frustrating, and I would hate to have to do it again.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:28 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The wall that shoots the dead guy is where you get the T'rang arm. So you're thinking of the area marked #8 on the map.

Edit: deleted question that you answered while I was writing

[ This Message was edited by: dteowner on 2002-04-08 15:12 ]
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:35 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

OK. Do the mine cars again and all will be good. Stick with it- this is one of the few sections where things pretty much must be done in a certain order.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:15 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Max: You can enter Martens Bluff through the mines, and solve your problems without getting the T'rangs hostile. Just don't go into the areas, where the T'rangs stop you. There will still be a path through this area around the T'rangs!
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:23 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-04-09 02:23, Michael C wrote:
Max: You can enter Martens Bluff through the mines, and solve your problems without getting the T'rangs hostile. Just don't go into the areas, where the T'rangs stop you. There will still be a path through this area around the T'rangs!

He reported about some bug or something that prevent him doing this.
This was my first advice for him, however he said that TRandgs are still attacking him.
I said to him several times that to solve this problem he must enter MB trought Mine tunels.
Max, if they will attack, then just kill them and unite with Umpani. It is said that bug can force you to do such solution, but is possible way.
You need to do it because you need to get from main plot quest item here.

I really do not want you to become too frustrated and leave this game.

You can also use this or this link for walktrought.
MB is maybe most difficult area (I mean not monesters, but riddles).

Good luck .

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-04-09 02:49 ]
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:47 am

Thanks for the help! I will keep restarting the first part till I get a grip on the game. The combat is totally new and needs to be learned. I like the challenge and will keep practicing though a tutorial would have solved this. Rereading the manual helps too. game on!
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:31 am

Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Well, I battled my way over to the mines and took a mine car into the lower Marten's Bluff, opened the four locked doors, and Z'Ant mentioned the flag quest (which I haven't done yet). Then exited the fourth cell by way of the door (using special lock pick) on the left. Entered the main area and to my dismay, everything was the way I left it.
I think I found the mistake that has been plaguing me for days now. I was following http://www.volberding.com/Wizardry8/images/LowerMartensBluff/LowerMartensBluff-map.jpg this map which shows the exit to the upper Bluffs in the storage rooms. I'm at work now, and just happened to look at the map in the thread that Val pointed out and it clearly looks like the staircase is in another area. I didn't find it this morning before I left home, but will try tonight, if I can't find it, then Wizardry 8, at least for me, will be history.

[ This Message was edited by: Max Killen on 2002-04-09 10:03 ]
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:48 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Bingo! The stairs are actually at the end of the note, not the beginning (right above "Bluff", not near "to"). Hope you stick with it- you're getting to some fun parts of the story. Of course, I just shelved MM9 for a couple weeks because of the same sentiments...
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:57 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So what Max, did you find way are did you give up this game?
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:40 am