Computer Vs Console
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Vempyre
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Computer Vs Console

Back in the end of the 70's I had a Intellivision; One of my friend a Vic20, another one had a Commodore64, one a Atari console, one a ColecoVision...
And I think the debate started right than for millions of people...
At that time for me console gaming was way better, since I was about 6 years old, knowing DOS just to start a game was beyond me. Some friends who had a PC couldn't start their games either, Big brother or dad had to do the work.
Than in the 80's Nintendo came along with the NES, IBM and amiga on PC counterpart, but for me graphics were good on both side( no more "I'm the black dot, you're the red dot"). Still I would prefer the better way the console came along with a better controlling system. I had this opinion up until AMD and Pentium4 came out, so PSX, N64, etc..., at that time for consoles. Especially RPG games would definetly need more buttons than the console controller could provide.
Graphics would definetly be better on PCs for now on, speed too... But to a price!!
So what do you think?

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:20 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

You have posted this twice, you only need one thread.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:51 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I use my PC's for RPG's, Strategy and FPS's and my Xbox or PS2 for more arcady type games (racing / footy etc).
My lad of 17 hogs the consoles generally, so im pretty much stuck with the RPG types....which is nice.
I cant seem to warm to many console RPG's (xcept morrowind natch) as they seem to be "kidified"...imo.

As for pricing issues, now that the PC has reached £499 barrier, every home will have one and upgrades etc should be cheaper...economy of scale etc. it will be cheaper to keep up with the techos.
I bought a DVD player recently for £29.99..."Would I like the warranty extended on that sir?"...Hell no...Ill throw it away and by a new one when it dies.

Ive reached that age where the house is paid for and things are a bit easier shall we say, so upgrading is not a big issue for me financially.

I also remember the days of an old 286 PC and before that my intel system, Dragon 32, Oric, Spectrum, Amstrad 464.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:40 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Computer for "epic" rpgs. The ones that take a LONG time to finish, and some shooting games, and two consoles for everything else(Except racing or sports games, can't stand those) and I use both to about equal time. You just cant get the Metal Gear or Halo feel without playing on a large 56" plus TV.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:31 am
Dawnblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My consoles gather dust in the corner since i got into pc's.Pc's can do everything better and when u finished there is always mods or expansion packs to keep the game going.I hav my main pc hooked up to the lounge tv so it feels just like a console.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:12 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

i would never change my computer for a console, unless the console had a mouse and keyboard and i could play Gothic2 and Warcraft3 on it. The only thing the console has and the pc has not (yet) is called GTA::San Andreas
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:08 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

PC's are far superior for a number of reasons, one of which is the customization factor. With a console title, you get what you get, and I prefer to be able to tweak and customize every game as I see fit.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:11 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Both!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:58 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Please don't start two threads on the same topic.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm