Heroes of Might & Magic 5 Review @ 1Up
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Heroes of Might & Magic 5 Review @ 1Up

1 Up has the latest review for the recently released Heroes of Might & Magic 5. Giving it a low score of 5/10, they have this to say:<blockquote><em>And bugs? A whole summer camp's worth of them. Random crashes, creature counts that tally inaccurately end of battle, mangled missions easily snapped by innocently completing objectives out of order, heroes that can attack through walls, and multiplayer games that de-sync like clumsy lovers -- to call HOMM5 playable would be accurate, but enjoyable? No way, Jose -- not yet, anyway. Never mind a klutzy A.I. incapable of wielding area damage spells or retreating from battles, no option to quit from battles, improper widescreen support, ten inadequate skirmish maps (and no map editor), and incongruous info feeds when clicking on objects. Series fanatic or no, you'll want a comprehensive patch addressing most of these issues before picking this one up. It's simply too big a mess at this point.</em></blockquote>Read it <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3151112" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Wed May 31, 2006 11:26 pm
Lucky Day

there are two problems in this statement.

quote:

creature counts that tally inaccurately end of battle

if you use the raise dead spell in abttle your raises wil die at the end of it. raise dead is not a permanent spell, although the raising Angels do is permanent.

second, some creatures can gate others in. these creatures will also die at the end of battle.

this may be what he's seeing as innacurate tallies when in fact they are not

quote:

no option to quit from battles

this is completely false. what is required to retreat from a battle is having a town that rez your hero. in some cases the hero must survive as a campaign objective. like in Monopoly its sometimes best to stay in jail the whole game.

I've also never had the game crash once and I've finished a campaign. I'd like to see his game specs and I wonder if its related to the copy protection. I'm using a No-CD for it.

quote:

heroes that can attack through walls,

heroes, and only hereoes, can attack anywhere without fear of retaliation. this is their major feature and part of the game mechanics. to not like it is an opinion not a bug.

quote:

A.I. incapable of wielding area damage spells

I wish this were true. I seem to get hit a lot with these.

this game is highly playable!

There might be some truth to what he says in the review such as multiplayer problems, I wouldn't know. But with these careless mistakes its hard to take it seriously.
Post Wed May 31, 2006 11:37 pm

Dr. A

Great riposte, Lucky Day.

Also, saying that the game is unenjoyable is a ludicrous statement. Maybe the review author has a fetish for HoMM 3 and views HoMM 5 with an extreme slant.
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:33 am

Shhael

Middle mouse button for the love of god!

He also can't seem to figure out you just click the middle mouse button to scroll your view while in tactical battle mode. O.o

Personally I'm on the second campaign and loving it. I haven't had any of these bugs or issues he spoke of yet.
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:50 am

grumpygramps
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In regards to HOMM 5, I am pleading to you young guys for a little HELP.
I have just purchased HOMM5 being an advocate of all of the series, but I am really stuck in this one. I am somewhere at the beginning in "The Trap " and I cant repair the broken bridge or get over it because I cant find the boots of Levitation, I think thats what they are called, they supposed to be underground somewhere, in some crypt, but I have searched high and low in 3 different underground caverns to no avail. I have been a week now and my wife thinks I am absolutely bonkers !!! but I want to play these games without cheating and I do try and sort them out myself, but this one has beaten me. I would be really happy if one of you young gamers could put me on the right track . I am afraid when you get over 70 , ones brain doesn't work quite so quickly although all the strategy games I play do help a little !!
Many, many thanks in anticipation !! Grumpygramps
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:58 am
Lucky Day

haha gramps,
****spoilers*****

they are in a cavern jsut as you say. there are two seperate sections and you have to find the right entrance. all I can say is after visiting the seer find the cavern on the western side of the map I believe.
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:49 am

grumpygramps
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi, The Western side is blocked due to the Bridge being damaged, Do you have to go underground ??? if so where is the entrance, PLEASE , I am driving myself mad, plus driving the wife crazy ???
Gramps
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:58 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

***'Spoilers'****

yes it's not hard to find the entrance is just a little bit below the bridge to the left.
Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:57 pm
grumpygramps
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

THANKYOU !!! to those two gamers that helped me out, from the other side of the World. I am now into Mission Five, "Fall of the King " If it wasn't for your HELP I would still be thrashing about trying to get across the Bridge !!! and still yelling at the wife.
Well thats what gaming is all about, If I can ever help anyone , I certainly would.
Thanks again GothicGothicness and Lucky Day !!
Gramps
Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:38 am