Gothic was my curse... Help!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
jdmag26
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic was my curse... Help!

Hi everybody, glad i finally found a place that honors such a Great Game!

The story for me goes like this... i used to enjoy almost every game, specially RPGs... but one day, while i was playing Unreal 2, my cousing brought this game... he knew how much i like everything about knights, dragons... and he told me... 'hey, you really need to take a look to this game...' and that was it... i played Gothic1 and got cursed...

I tried really hard to play other games like Morrowind, Neverwinter, etc... but i drop 'em all after a few minutes...

I played Gothic 2, and for 60 hours i was alive again...

So my question is: Any of you guys that knows f a game that is somehow similar to Gothic, at least on the controls?... i hate the mouse-clicking-fest games...

Thanks for your help!
Post Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:23 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

I dont remember where i read that but the article was about Gothic. It was saying that there are no games compareble to gothic. There is Morrowind which is one of the mos annoying games i ever played. Same with NWN.
But there will be a good game that will be close to Gothic and it will be online. Check out http://dungeonlords.com/ . But i dunno.
Post Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:59 pm
Silvayn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Tried Arx Fatalis yet? It does have simplier controls, it comes with 1st person view and some might say it's too linear, but I think it simply rocks. It's very atmospheric and I loved everything about it.

Last edited by Silvayn on Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:43 pm
CIACinderella
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think the Gothic games are in a league of their own - but lucky for us they're making another one.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:34 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey...NWN is a decent game...it just needs to get rid of that crappy Bioware system. Bioware tinkered with the AD&D system.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:23 am
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
Hey...NWN is a decent game...it just needs to get rid of that crappy Bioware system. Bioware tinkered with the AD&D system.

Yeah. I agree. Well, all games are decent. But Gothic is the best of all.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:29 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

We had this topic a dozen times before. Only Ultima: Ascension is somewhat close to the gaeplay, but it´s clearly the weaker game.
Severence - Blade of Darkness has similar combat and visuals but it´s a hack&slay action game, no RPG.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:36 am
Kraszu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Since thre re is no games like gothic maybe u should try someting different (much different from morrowind and nwn too) have u played Fallout? Combat is turn based u should try this one, there is no pointless walking like in many games (mostly morrowind ). My english skill's are not too good so i jost give u a link to reviev:
http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?index=534

If u liked it, after Fallout1&2 try arcanum.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:13 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Kraszu...I summon 3 army of darkness on you

You compare "that" game to the holy Gothic

Now I use rain of fire, summon golem and my last 2 army of darkness on you and your family!

/me searches for demon summon scrolls as overkill

Someone please "remove" Kraszu from our holy forum

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:57 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

i'd say try lands of lore III .. its kinda old ('99) and its first person ..
its more of an action/adventure game but i love it and normaly i dislike anything 1st person view
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:47 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood

NOOOO!!!
It's evil i tell you, EEEVVVIILLL!!!
It gives you an illusion that you're in control with all those skills and feats, but really the computer is doing everything for you. Face the fact: You're not the one whos doing the combat, your computer is.
And that turn based fighting makes everything look sooo unrealistic, it's too slow and the moves are mostly the same.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:29 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I personaly did not like NWN that much, but what your saying is just plain wrong.

The fact that the combat is determined by your characters stats and not the players reflexes is the whole basis of a true RPG. Gothic, while one of my best games of all times, is not a true RPG, its an Action RPG, ala Zelda.

Also, turn based fighting is not unrealistic at all, its just a different way of simulating the battle situation. If you dont like it, then just dont pause the game. (I'd like to see you keep control of your party though).

Anyway, to answer the original question and not completely derail this topic:

Search the forums, this topic has been answered in depth multiple times. Heres a quick list of games (The more similar ones are closer to the top):

Ultima Ascension
Kings Quest VIII
Beyond Good & Evil
Arx Fatalis
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:16 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

wow theres a kings quest VIII ? last i played was VI .. but then again that was back in my amiga days and i could never finish it
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:23 pm
Kraszu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
I personaly did not like NWN that much, but what your saying is just plain wrong.

The fact that the combat is determined by your characters stats and not the players reflexes is the whole basis of a true RPG. Gothic, while one of my best games of all times, is not a true RPG, its an Action RPG, ala Zelda.

I can't agree, gothic is true rpg i don't see why beter control is anty rpg element stats are very important in gothic fight's. I don't like action rpg term it don't tell me much, it is like saing turn based rpg but that can mean FF or Fallout 2 completly diferent class of gameplay.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:02 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The only 'true' RPGs I know are pen and paper RPGs, but not because there's a certain way combat is handled - it's because of the immersion and atmosphere. For me, no video game even comes close, so for me, none of them are 'true' RPGs.

Generally, the definition of what makes a CRPG 'true' is personal - it's defined by what the player demands of a 'true' CRPG. Some people focus on immersion, some of stats-juggling, some on round-based combat, some on... whatever. For me, a 'true' RPG is not defined by the rules (which I don't care about), but if I feel drawn into a certain character role and if I have a certain degree of freedom to develop 'myself' as I see fit, then I'll surely get the gaming experience I want.

As for the question: there's an other, rather old game reminiscent of the Gothics: Redguard. It's more of an adventure, but looks, feel and game mechanics are similar to those of Gothic.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:45 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next