Usergroups
I can't win...anything
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It's gotten to the point where, I'm at Arnika Road...my characters at level 7...and I can't win a single fight. It's either that I"m outnumbered by highwaymen and ants, or weeds that blind everyone in one shot. Missile Shield DOESN'T work well at all, it hasn't deflected a single throwing knife, and I'm just getting overwhelmed. These are random encounters, so I know that if I were at higher levels they'd just get even harder, what should I do? Also, Chameleon doesn't do anything either, it's never helped me get a surprise attack. I used to be able to do this all the time in the demo, where I'd sneak up, initiate combat and it would say "You surprised your opponents." I can never do that now. Even in the Monastery, it's made the enemies harder, it throws Pestilent Rats at me that can completely obliterate me. I don't get it.

[ This Message was edited by: psyborg on 2002-03-29 12:58 ]
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:57 pm
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Updated proof that enemies get harder with your level...I went back to the LOWER monastery and I'm still getting beaten by stuff. There's gotta be something I'm doing wrong because I don't see how anyone can get far in this.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:58 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Read the hint thread, it has a lot of very good tips. One of which is: stay off the roads if you don't want to fight a lot, there are a sorts of nooks and cranies you can hide in. Also use the X-ray spell to detect all monsters early on.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:28 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Enemies DO get harder with your level... The game uses the average level of your party members to determine those enemies, so a solo party will usually face a much bigger challenge....
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:41 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

So you're saying that if you pick up one of the random characters that will join your party; and that person has a lower level than yours, then you're enemies won't be as strong.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:25 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-03-29 12:57, psyborg wrote:
It's gotten to the point where, I'm at Arnika Road...my characters at level 7...and I can't win a single fight.

Check your combat setting, you might want to lower it a level until you can start kicking some arse.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:27 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It should be noted that the Arnika road is probably the biggest mismatch of monster skill versus party skill in the entire game.

Second, this was discussed at length on another board. A couple of the designers finally put the issue to bed for us. Random monster level IS tied to party level. When you enter an area, a table of random monsters is generated based on the area itself and the party's level. That table has a range of levels, so you can get critters much weaker than you or somewhat stronger than you (if it's an area you're supposed to be in).
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:38 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I can only say again: "monsters doesnt level up according your level".
Stronger monsters appear as you proceed forward in story.
So when you f. e. leave monastery and return there, you will find stronger creatures there, but if you return there with characters around level 30, there will be same creatures and you will kill them all with one fireball on 2nd level of power.
When you reach certain point in story, there will appeare different creatures on some places you visited before (for example Jurgenauts on the road between Arnika and Trynton).
But when you meet creature(s) and you not strong enough to fight with it, you can go other way, train your characters a little bit and then you will be able to defeat it (them).

But of course you are in difficult situation. Because you have no place to train (monastery has also too strong creatures now).
I suggest you (as someone said before): read tips (sticky topic), use all of them as much as you can. Try to walk around strongest groups of creatures without fighting with them (it is of course not always possible) and return and kill them later (as said Val).
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:00 am
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

dteowner:
"It should be noted that the Arnika road is probably the biggest mismatch of monster skill versus party skill in the entire game."

Yea, I can SO see that. I get ambushed by LARGE groups of highwaymen and plants and ants...and Piercer Modai. Damn. But, I'm doing better now. For one, I started a new game with a new party. I beat up a group of those Piercers actually, I avoided them until I got into this corner near where the map ended, then lured them in there with a fireball and faught them one by one. They would have surely killed me though had I not used extreme cheese in my strategy. So yea, I'd say that area is imbalanced. As for the Pestilent Rats in the upper monastery, the only reason they gave me trouble was the disease status...which I dread because at this point in the game I can do nothing about it.

Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:05 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:

On 2002-03-30 02:05, psyborg wrote:
They would have surely killed me though had I not used extreme cheese in my strategy.

Better living thru dairy products!

Hope those strategies don't offend you, cuz you're gonna need them regularly.
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:17 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-03-29 14:28, Val wrote:
Also use the X-ray spell to detect all monsters early on.

I just added X-ray to my spell list; and I will have to say that X-ray is the best defensive spell going (as far as I know) It's cool the way it shows all the monsters in the area. Thanks for the tip
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:32 pm