Password
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Password

I just got a compaq armada e500 laptop and was wondering how I go about bypassing the password on startup? I can't even enter the bios due to the power-up password. The computer was given to me by a friend and he doesnt recall what the password is. Is it possible to short the cmos chip or use a jumper? I am new to laptops but have done alot of work on destops. I tried doing a search for the manual but came up with nothing. Can anyone help me or direct me to a site that deals with such matters? Greatly appreciate any help.
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:14 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

If it's a startup password stored in the CMOS we're talking about, you'll probably need to short the CMOS just as you said. Pull off the battery. Should work on a notebook as well.

Or take this advice here:
http://www.sysopt.com/cmospass.html
Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:16 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Go to this page and download the service guide. Page 2-3 contains the instructions you need. Be aware that you will need to remove the laptop's cover.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:15 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks very much guys for the help, but unfortunatly neither option worked. I was talking to a techie and he told me that the only way I can bypass the "power-on" password is to reset the cmos. I opened up the case but have no idea what this chip looks like. Also, there are no jumpers on the board so I would have to short out the cmos with a piece of tin foil or something but have no idea where the circuits are seeing as its no labeled. tried many searches with google but there is no motherboard diagram of the armada e500. I really dont understand why compaq did this. The way this motherboard is designed, you would think it was from the early 90's but yet its running a p3 900Mhz chip.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:38 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It's an Armada 500? That's the same old notebook I have at work. I wouldn't have a problem with opening it and taking a look, but I won't be back to work until May .
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:01 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Out of curiousity, what do you do, Jaz? And why wont you be going back until may?

Sorry for the off topic question...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:15 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Because she doesn't fit behind her desk anymore. An issue that will be resolved in a couple of weeks
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:02 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
Thanks very much guys for the help, but unfortunatly neither option worked. I was talking to a techie and he told me that the only way I can bypass the "power-on" password is to reset the cmos. I opened up the case but have no idea what this chip looks like.

Did you read the manual I linked to? It contains specific instructions on how to clear the CMOS on that laptop, including several pictures.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:20 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@Korplem: What Myrthos said... And what am I doing for a living? I'm the time manager of a big Euro DIY store chain. Meaning, I'm responsible for 16.000 time accounts, and for testing the time management software when a new beta module is out.
This software testing requires three steps (first beta test done on the test system, if that's okay the 'ware will be tested in our pilot test stores, and if that goes well, it will be released company-wide). So it can happen that we have three different releases of time management software running at the same time, and since their dlls usually are one-way only and thus incompatible with earlier versions, I need to have three machines (computers) at work: a beta test machine (to test the beta software on), a pilot test machine (to be able to peek into/work on one of the pilot stores), and a productive machine (to be able to work with the 'real' store accounts). The latter is my old Armada notebook - the slowest of them all, actually, but it's rather handy since I can take it with me and plug it into the company network when I'm on the road. It's also my 'regular' office comp (though I can use the others just as well). Right now I have a trainee, a subordinate and a maternity leave substitute (for the project work stuff), one has the beta system, the other the pilot system, and I gave my productive system (= the Armada notebook) to my substitute so he can travel around a bit if need arises.
(...I guess I'll be superfluous when I return, I did my best to train those three to replace me )

On topic again:
@MC_Renzy: Did you see the list of master passwords in my link? Every BIOS has a master password. Search for those. You might have to try ~200 passwords until you'll find one that does the 'open sesame' trick, but it should work.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:20 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

If all else fails, then try using one of the CMOS password decrypter programs. This page has one that might work with your laptop.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:29 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
MC_Renzy: Did you see the list of master passwords in my link? Every BIOS has a master password. Search for those. You might have to try ~200 passwords until you'll find one that does the 'open sesame' trick, but it should work.

Ya, I tried those passwords that were on the list(aprox. 10) but niether of them worked. By chance, you wouldn't happen to know where they list the other 190? I'm more then willing to try them all.

Goshuto

I tried taking a look at that password bypass program but you need access to DOS or Windows to use it. Unfortunatly, I can't even access the c:\ prompt. As soon as I start the computer I get a compaq splash screen then it immediatly prompts me for the password. It doesnt even reach the point where it shows the bios version. As for the other link you gave me with the manual, it only shows where the battery is. It shows nothing of the cmos chip. I followed all the instructions it gave me for removing just the battery, but it didn't clear it. This is why I must remove the cmos chip or short it with which ever circuit its on. That manual has no such info on this.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:49 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

I don't think you can remove the CMOS chip, it's probably soldered to the mainboard. The CMOS chip is powered by the battery. If you remove all batteries (including the A/C adaptor, the main battery, and that small battery shown in the manual), then the CMOS chip will eventually lose all its information, including passwords. Try removing all batteries for an extended period of time, like a couple hours. Then the password will surely get reset, unless there's some other mysterious battery we're unaware of.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:06 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Let me be honest, I have not followed those instructions completely. I did everything the manual instructed except I used the power pack to restart it rather then the adapter(dont have the ac adapter) Power is power, so I really can't see that being the reason for it not resetting it. I left the battery unplugged from the board and the power pack removed from the labtop for aprox. 10 hours. Regardless of how long, manual suggests just 5 minutes, it still keeps the password in memory. To believe that the power pack is what's preventing me from gainning further access, just seems rather strange seeing as it holds no memory and just supplies the power.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:37 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
Ya, I tried those passwords that were on the list(aprox. 10) but niether of them worked. By chance, you wouldn't happen to know where they list the other 190? I'm more then willing to try them all.

http://www.phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:42 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
a maternity leave substitute

If I'm reading into this right, then, congratulations!

I was quite stumped as to why both of you would find it funny that you can't fit behind your desk...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:39 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next